1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ambitions / Uni Abroad

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by caughtbywitness, Oct 14, 2012.

1. caughtbywitness

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this but wth, most of the other ones I'm on either don't have many people or have no ambitions.

Which is what I struggle with. I want to do so many things, and there's all these people I feel like I'm talking down to by saying I want to experience the world; it sucks because all they wanna do is bang.

Anywho, what do you guys think of uni'ing it abroad? I'd love to, my French is fairly good but I'd want to study in English, so I'm kind of looking mainly at Canada, possibly at US, Switzerland, Netherlands (teach in English apprantely) or France.

It'll be expensive, but you only live once (not the hideous acronym) and I want to get away from the life I live atm and do something before we're all meant to become boring, grow old, and have little, more annoying versions of ourselves running about (which I have no plan to do either).

Does anybody else think the same? Or am I just dreaming a wee bit too much.

2. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

Having already graduated after staying in the UK I have regretted not moving ever since. I would have loved to have studied in the USA, Canada or Australia but I guess that's too hate now. But I would really love to live in one of these places. The problem is actually finding a job and having the balls to go out there on my own and support myself financially. Definitely something I wanna do while I'm still young though! What would you want to study?

3. caughtbywitness

Probably English or History, I'm not sure at the moment (English being the hard option, History the most interesting). I'm not sure what the fees are like in Canada etc, but I know I need to start seriously thinking about it now, you need a visa a year in advance.

Where did you go? I have my sights on abroad I really haven't looked at the UK. I'm not an Oxbridge person, I don't think.

4. timo

Yeah, some courses here are taught in English. Not all of them though, it really depends on what you want to study.

But we are awesome.

Anyway, I'm thinking about doing my master's degree abroad, either in London or in Stockholm (Stockholm uni teaches the degree I want in English and they have no college fees. London is awesome but way too expensive). But I still have two years of college to go, quite some time to think about it.

5. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had exactly the same dilemma as you. English and History were always my 2 favourite subjects. I went with history in the end as I found it more interesting. And I studied at Uni of Manchester, ended up with a 2.1. And now have a boring 9-5 office job which isn't related to my degree at all! I would love to do writing or journalism in the future though. Just need to start putting some work in!

6. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Haha! I liked reading that entire OP. And I also like that you're dreaming. Don't be affected by people around you, for many people complacency is the norm.

7. caughtbywitness

Excellent, well, history or English really?

If you're so awesome, how come you're going to uni abroad! ..actually, I could say the same.

Ah awesome, I'm definitely more of a writer than a scientist, I always ended up asking 'why?' in every lesson and the teacher just got mad, so I just learnt everything and dropped them all for a level :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sounds excellent with your degree, although yes, a 9-5 office job would be exactly what I want to avoid: I would love to be a journalist, broadcaster, presenter or commentator of sport, preferably horse racing. I already work for french racing atm, so I'm trying my best!

Good luck with your writing etc, atm Essays and competitions are all I worry about, not an actual job in writing yet!

Someone who gets my humour? Why thank you :grin:

8. timo

I have no idea about those. But a quick Google search gave me this: Study in Holland - Netherlands Universities
    Apparently there's one university that teaches English where the course is actually in English. Unfortunately no history in English.

Good question. Cause going abroad is awesome too? New people! New experiences! A great master's degree!

HA. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. burg

why not nz bo.dunedin is real cool student town .or Victoria uni in wellington.im pretty sure we have a good exchange program.the other option is china real cheap classes in english .i love my history what history topics do you like.

10. sunnii

i say go for it. if youre going to study there then its not as if it's forever. if you dont like it you can always just see it out and go home. You do sound like you legit want to go and as you mentioned unlike others its not just to bang someone.

I dont know too much about applying or anything (i never went to uni) but they do offer like exchange thingys dont they?

This might sound cheesy but you'd most likely regret never going than going and not liking it

11. caughtbywitness

@Timo - ah, I see, I'm seriously considering Canada, teach in English, French city. :slight_smile: I should probably look at a few UK ones though...

Australia is a bit too far I think, although I would love to go there nonetheless soon!
    Most history, although after reading the Percy Jackson series, I love Greek. Doing Sixties & USA 1890-1950 at the moment, have done Crime & Punishment through the ages, Impact of War (both WWs) and American West in 19th C.

Yeah exactly, going to have to ask my school for a hand applying etc.

Nope, I completely agree with you! Exchange would also be cool, with another country xD. How I will fund all this, god knows.

12. Harve

Going abroad is not only a fantastic experience but it also looks great on your CV, especially if you're doing it for more than one year / outside of Erasmus. I considered applying to Maastricht in the south of the Netherlands but ultimately decided against it because the courses looked a bit too... vague? Liberal arts-ish courses are great for some though, just not for me.

If you carry on studying French then your French will be very good by the time you're 18, if you work at it. If you put your mind to it and are genuinely determined you should be fine.

Just be careful you're not idealising life abroad though. I know a few people who seem to have a 'the grass is always greener' approach. I think it takes the right kind of mindset (and from your post, and considering you're only 16, you seem to have it).

If I ever do a Master's degree, I'd definitely like to do it abroad. I don't think it would be beneficial enough if I did it in the UK; I've lived there all my life. I'd also like to try getting an internship in Brussels or Strasbourg working for the EU. I've got no idea what, but I'm firming up on the idea that the private sector/banking sector just doesn't suit me.

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2012 at 11:31 PM ----------

Also, I'm now at university in Glasgow. I thought moving to Scotland was a huge adventure, but considering how far most of my flatmates and friends have come, it really isn't that far! It's certainly inspired me.

13. toaster

I am from Malaysia but currently studying in Australia. I have met people from Europe doing their degree outside of their home country. If you can afford it, def go for it. This does look good on your CV and also it makes you more keen to explore things you will never think of you will be doing and meet different people and culture. But if you can't, always remember there is a student exchange program in your uni for you to live aboard for 6 months or a year.