1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wow, this was a bold move!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Feb 4, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Whether you agree or not!

February 1, 2008

San Jose State U. Prohibits Campus Blood Drives
    San Jose State University has taken the controversial step of banning blood drives on its campus, the San Jose Mercury News reported today. The university explained the move by asserting that the Food and Drug Administration rule that bars sexually active gay men from donating blood violates the campus’s nondiscrimination policy.

While gay-rights groups have protested the FDA policy before, San Jose State’s decision is thought to be the first of its kind by a college or university. Local blood banks, which often face shortages, have criticized the university’s action.

The FDA rule, which covers men who have had sex with another man since 1977, is based on the agency’s understanding that such men have a higher risk for HIV and other infections transmitted through blood.

But critics say that tests nowadays can easily screen out HIV-positive donations. The American Red Cross and other groups that run blood drives have asked the FDA to reconsider the issue. —Beckie Supiano

2. Astaroth

Wow, that is a bold move. It's strange. I've seen a fair amount of press recently about the gay blood donor bans in effect, and now this story pops up. But I do agree with the decision. It is discrimination. In fact, the last studies show that the largest number of increasing cases is found in African-American women between 18 and 35. Of course, that would be harder to ban since it's racial, no sexual. But discrimination is still discrimination. You can't serve in the military because it might cause low troop morale. You can't give blood because it might be infected, even though that's the case with ALL blood. Ah well... the world still has a long way to go.

3. llenadepecas

You cant serve in the military if you're gay?

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You can, its just the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy is still in effect. So if you walk into recruiting announcing you are gay and want to join up, nope they won't take you. Democrats in the White House will change that!

Now as for my opinion on the the ban of a blood drive on the college campus, I'm not so sure about that. My nephew was the recipent of blood when he had to have his spleen removed after a 4-wheeler accident. My son was told he couldn't give blood. When I look at the two and compare, what is really more important? My nephew's life or my son not being able to give blood. Well of course my nephews life is! I disagree with the policy and totally believe it needs to be changed but I also know that alot of people benefit from blood drives and they save lives! So I'm not sure the ban on campus was a good way to go.

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with the ban on the campus. Not because it will result in less blood being donated, but because it may just be the wake-up call that the FDA needs. Sometimes protesting and campaigning is needed to get things done, and this discriminatory policy has been in place for blood donations around the world for too long.

If the bans spread and started causing more serious shortages with no signs of change then maybe it would have to be reviewed. But for now I am 100% behind the ban.

I think you can in the UK now, but I don't know the details.

6. sdc91

While I don't appreciate discrimination, I don't support this ban.

Why? Because people need the blood. It's life or death. This isn't something that should be used as a weapon against hospitals. This only demonizes us even more.

It's a good effort, though.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oops...I didn't realize that poster was in the U.K. Yes, you can serve openly in the U.K.

8. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Desperate times require desperate measures.

The FDA policy is discriminatory and just plain wrong. It sends the message that every gay male in the world is irresponsible and a danger to society. How else are we ever going to overcome the ignorance and intolerance while the general public is passively exposed to these kinds of 'policies'.

I can't think of a nice way to say this, but if people have to die for things to change, so be it. The blood isn't on my hands, especially in this case. But then, i'm a cold-hearted bastard.

9. Ty

Ty Guest

I think that this is a good thing. But regardless of weather i have sex with males or not, i won't be donating blood anyways ~ im deathly afraid of it.!

10. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We were just discussing this in the office and someone asked, "So, what if you said you were gay but haven't had sex?"

Would the FDA still turn you down? My guess is yes but don't know for sure. It's not about sex, it's about just being gay. That paints a different picture, doesn't it?

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well the question is "Are you a male who has ever had sex with another male since 1977?" So they don't specifically ask if you are gay, they ask you if you are a male who has had sex with another male.

12. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    OK, let me ask. Are you willing to risk your life or someone you love for this? I'm not. The policies can be changed (it may take longer!) without resorting to such drastic measures.

13. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

If people need blood so bad, then why can't we give them blood? Beggars can't be choosers. Good for San Jose for not lettting discrimination happen on their campus.

14. ampthejazz

It's certainly a bold move, and it gets the point across. I hope it sends a strong message to the FDA.

15. Bader

Bader Guest

Nice move ! San Jose State University FTW

16. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "You can't give blood because you're gay"
    "You can't be in the military because you're gay"
    "You can't do BLOODY ANYTHING BECAUSE YOU'RE BLOODY GAY!!"
    Thank god for this move, it's about time someone sorted out the DISCRIMINATION!!!!!

17. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Of course not but I have to hope it doesn't come to that. Having wrestled with being gay for a long time, i'm quite accustomed to bargaining with the devil and somehow getting out of paying him back when the time comes.

18. Hydrogen

I'm sorry, but I'm with Becky on this. Blood banks are low on blood and god forbid something like the Virgina Tech incident happen in San Jose where they need every last drop they can get.

Do I agree with not allowing Gay people to donate blood? No, but don't stop people who are allowed from donating. I mean, who actually goes out to a hospital and gives blood? Very Few. However, lots of people give blood at schools because it is just one of the "come together to help people" things.

The "Anti-Gay" aspect should be dealt with in the courts, not by banning the blood drives.

19. Ty

Ty Guest

Well really, shouldn't it be compulsory to check all blood for diseases? Regardless of whatever sexuality you are... Straight people can get aids too?

20. Jeimuzu

I like that move. It's a good step to take. A few other universities may follow, in which case, by teaming up on the government like that, I think it'll be forced to make changes.