1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you getting along with your significant other's family?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pat, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Pat

Pat

My buddy Jack told me he met a guy from a dating app and they are dating now. He spent the whole weekend with his family. Funny because Jack's not out to his family, interested twist to feel accepted by someone else's. How do you do with your significant other's family?

2. secretguyX

I love them, and they seem to love me. It's going pretty great. But my boyfriend has only seen my mom for a few minutes...

3. LailaForbidden

Well, i have to say that my imaginary girlfriend's parents are quite pleasant. Its going swimmingly! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. redstormrising

we both get along very well with each others' families and often make plans with her brother or my sister. it's really nice :slight_smile:

5. Pat

Pat

Bahahaha lol.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2012 at 11:10 PM ----------

Well, I can say this. The people I consider my friends can all mesh in a room together. I wouldn't have to worry about them feeling offended or upset at anything. I choose them wisely. The same MUST go for my bf. So when I think about watching my future bf interact with my family, I think it'll just totally warm my heart.

6. jvn95

Sigh,

I wish I had a significant other!

Some day :slight_smile:

Ha.

7. RemyLeBeau

RemyLeBeau Guest

I get along with her family more than I get along with my own. Hell, we get along more than SHE gets along with her family. We're close enough that the one time her dad caught us making out shirtless (as in he heard us and found my shirt upstairs), he didn't even care. He just invited me to have dinner with them after I got dressed!

But she doesn't get along with my family. My stepdad hate us and my mom couldn't give any fucks less about it.

8. Kiazt

Kiazt Guest

I feel pretty awkward with his parents and I don't really talk to them. There are a few reasons why, but I think that the main reason is just because we don't naturally 'connect' at all, really, so conversations are usually basic things like school and such.

He gets along with my mother impossibly well, to the point where she has told him stories that she hadn't told me until he was there.

9. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well my boyfriend pretty much has no contact with his father, and sees his mom maybe twice a month, all because he is gay (it's complicated). His mom adores me, she seriously loves me. I bet once she finds out I'm into guys and I'm her sons boyfriend, she'll like me a little less :lol:

I'm not out to my parents and don't plan on it either, so obviously they don't know my boyfriend.

Yeah, the situation could've been better.

10. Colours

When I was with my ex, we always met up at his place; but his parents didn't know. Mine did. They were accepting but when I told them they said things like: 'I'm not happy you're into boys', 'I don't want to see you act all couple-y' and 'I don't like the idea of what you do in bed'. My ex never dared to come over to my place anymore. Neither did my parents ask him to.

His parents though, they love/d me. I was there multiple evenings/nights a week, and whenever they saw me, they'd be like 'are you staying over tonight?' in a very friendly manner. That happened at least once a week and we shared the same bed of course, so they must have had some kind of suspicion. They'd also ask me to stay for dinner sometimes. It's a shame my ex never dared to tell them because I'm sure they would've been very accepting. I haven't seen them since when we broke up, which is a month ago tomorrow. I bet my ex is telling them I'm not coming over anymore because I'm too busy with school or something.. ugh.

Just to clarify, we still see each other. As friends.

11. Pain

Pain Guest

When I was with David, his parents loved me. And then they found out we were together. Then I was compared to Satan.

12. livinglifefree

My girlfriend gets along really well with my family. My mom and Dad both seem to like her. I also get along really well with her family. Her mom loves me and her sisters (who don't know we are dating) love to watch movies with us and to talk to me.

13. spirithawk

spirithawk Guest

I'm currently in a straight relationship, but that doesn't make it all roses and sunshine.

After a bit of dirty texting back and forth one day, I got a call from a very angry father, telling me that if he ever sees me talking to her like that again, he'd do less than pleasant things to me. Apparently he decided to go phone snooping. Following that ordeal, she moved out of her dad's home. (Did I mention she's an adult herself?)

I don't think he cares much for me. :roflmao:

14. Pat

Pat

15. amess

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Personally, my girlfriends family acknowledges that we are together, but often refer to me as her "special friend". You can tell that there are some of her aunts that don't like us in general because we are together. I find that really weird especially considering one of my girlfriend's uncles is gay and has a life-partner of over 7 years. Her uncle is very nice, invites me to all the family gatherings and asks for me when I am not able to show up. I think one thing we all have to keep in mind though is that as much as our family is a big part of who we are, we have to be true to ourselves and be happy. They will come around eventually, they just don't really understand our lifestyles and no matter how much we try to explain it they wont understand.

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

My boyfriend's family is half and half. His step dad, brother, uncle, aunt and cousin like me, but everyone else is still trying to be comfortable with the whole thing. It also doesn't help that I'm hispanic and their family is ultra conservative, so its a double whammy! xD They have never been rude to me, though. Just not...super friendly either? Its weird. I'm the first guy that he brings over so its just to be expected.

My family in the other hand loves him. My sis and him are ridcs close, which I love. He comes over my house very often and we always have a great time.

He isn't the first guy that I bring home so my parents are used to it by now, because I just pretty much drilled it in, but they have been awesome through it all. They were rude and crazy with the first 2-3 guys I brought over tho lol