1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Huge HIV Breakthrough

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unseen Tenacity, Feb 4, 2008.

1. I just stumbled across this article like 10 minutes ago and the implications are huge. I haven't read the entire thing but basically some swiss scientists have come up with a method of making people who have HIV no longer sexually infectious. Go give it a read for the details, now discuss.

2. TriBi

Actually, they have just put out a concensus opinion that people who are HIV+, but are adhering rigidly to antiretroviral therapy may, if all the circumstances are correct, be considered sexually non-infectious.

The critical statement is this:
    “An HIV-infected person on antiretroviral therapy with completely suppressed viraemia (“effective ART”) is not sexually infectious, i.e. cannot transmit HIV through sexual contact.”

It goes on to say that this statement is valid as long as:

the person adheres to antiretroviral therapy, the effects of which must be evaluated regularly by the treating physician, and

the viral load has been suppressed (< 40 copies/ml) for at least six months, and

there are no other sexually transmitted infections.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IDK, I'd still wear condoms.

4. TriBi

^ Always a wise choice :wink:

5. Level N Human

Agreed, there's always other STD's other than AIDs. I mean if HIV was suddenly magically cured I wouldn't be happy-go-humping or anything. ^^ But this article was interesitng and good news. :grin: