1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to vacation on a cheap budget.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SriManayaDasan, Oct 16, 2012.

1. I LOVE vacationing and, as much as I would love to fly out to mexico or Europe, I just don't have that kind of money at the moment. I guess being in school and putting most of the money you do earn into your education does that to you.

But I still like to visit other places and discover new places. Does anyone have any travel and vacation tips for those who have a low/modest or moderate budget? Places to visit, saving money, etc.

Keep in mind that I live in the U.S. and that I am saving money to visit Europe, but that is going to be quite a little while. Probably 2/3 years at the least.

2. JillandJill

Depending on how low of a budget we are talking here, one thing I have always wanted to do is take my mother's van and drive up into the mountains, up a mountain road and hang out there. Sleep in the van in the middle of the mountains, wake up and drive wherever I want, and have to spend absolutely no money :slight_smile:
    You could always try a "stay-cation" as well where you find a hotel within a few hours of hour house and stay there for a night or two and explore somewhere closer to home

3. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The best way is to change your perspective on how a vacation should be taken if you want to travel cheaply.

I have a couple of friends who volunteer with different organizations either around the world or the nation. The organization helps with some expenses, they get to share the cost with other volunteers, they meet new people and new environments, and they get to explore new places.

If you are attending Uni then look into programs that take you to other places as part of a class. Those programs might be a bit expensive, but there are tons of scholarships and things you can do to make them affordable. Its usually also cheaper doing it through the school. For example, I just heard of this AMAZING class that takes you to Costa Rica for 3 weeks, Panama for 1 and you get to experience ton of other things like living with a family in costa rica, interacting with students, living with natives for a whole day and other stuff that I forget. And its only like 2k dollars! Not to mention there are scholarships that cover 50% of it all. I would go, but sadly most of the scholarships are only for citizens xD

Hostels, couch surfing and websites that let you carpool with strangers are also an option. It does take a bit of...risk taking since it is strangers, but I know multiple people that have tried it and have loved the experience.

If you want the more "usual" type of vacationing, then saving up is your only answer, sadly.

4. Emberstone

35 dollars for the sims 3 base game, and 35 dollars for the world adventures expansion pack. there, a vacation to china, france, and egypt, all for about 70 bucks.