1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Espresso machines

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by kizza111, Oct 16, 2012.

1. kizza111

Hey, i'm looking at buying an espresso machine that's good for making lattes. I just bought a de longhi EC152 and the coffee tastes of water (freshly ground lavazza espresso coffee! I also tried starbucks branded pre-ground), and the lattes end up frothy on top and watery in the middle, not the sort of wet-paint texture people aspire to.

Anyone got any good recommendations within the sort of £100-£200 mark? That's about $161 - $322 apparently.

2. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

is it the actual coffee that's watery or the latte in general? because if it's frothy on the top and watery in the middle, it might not be the espresso, it might be the steamed milk? I don't know anything about the machines itself, I just know that sometimes people at work (I am a barista) complain about their drink tasting like that and it was an issue with how the milk was steamed. :shrug:

3. kizza111

It's both really. I've made black americanos with it too, and even that is pretty tasteless.

4. SlickyPants

I'll admit I'm not much of an espresso guy but I drink americanos. I use an Aeropress which is a cheap $30 hand operated espresso maker. Easy to use, easy to clean, fast and it makes a solid cup of joe. Again, a shot of espresso isn't really to my taste so I'll add some hot water. It has plenty of body, richness with low acidity.

It probably wouldn't suit your needs though. You would still need to heat up water, steam the milk and all that jazz.