1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving to a different country

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Closet88, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At the ripe old age of 23 I've decided that my life is going nowhere living in the UK, working in my current 9-5 office job and doing little else. I have dreamt about moving to a different country for years however now I want to make these dreams come true. Preferably I want to move to an English-speaking country, so USA, Canada and Australia are the 3 countries I would most like to move to. I just wanted to ask people whether they have moved abroad before or can give me any advice about it? And how to find work/somewhere to live in a different country? I have an idea that it will be ridiculously difficult but surely it can't be that hard if so many others manage to do it?

2. DanD

Can I come with you?

... seriously, and I may be completely wrong, but I think you need a Visa of some kind if you're planning on going for more than the time allowed for a holiday.

I wish you all the luck in the world if you go, but I think there are places in the UK that are ok - you just need to find them. Brighton is one but way too expensive, as is London.

If you do decide to go abroad, please let us all know where

DD

3. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone is welcome to come with me, providing they're not homophobic haha. I don't know a lot about the visa situation, I think that might be my downfall, along with my lack of money at the moment. Although I definitely wanna do it soon!

4. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

What are you hoping to find in another country?

5. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to experience a different culture and travel to see as much as I can in a new country. I have lived in the UK all my life and have seen most things here so really just want to start afresh somewhere new. If I don't like it then I could always move back. But you never know until you've tried!

6. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Then maybe you should go to a non-English speaking country (still in Europe). You'll probably find it more exciting and will learn more about different cultures.

7. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I did this I would definitely choose Germany. I've been to Munich, Berlin and Hamburg for holidays and loved all of these places. The main thing putting me off though is the language. I just can't see myself being able to learn a new language, which is why I said I'd prefer an English-speaking place. I'm not sure though, it's something I'd have to think about.

8. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

And language would also be an issue if you planned to work...Do you plan to work ?

9. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I definitely plan to work, which is why I would prefer to move to an English-speaking country

10. CTJ

CTJ

I'm pretty sure that to get a working visa for the US and Australia you have to already have a job over there to go to, which is why its usually the company people already work for that send them overseas. It'd be very hard to find a job while on holiday and then to have to apply for the work visas as well as finding a place to live. I know my mum wanted to move but to be offered the job to get a visa, she had to prove she was the best person for it and no one in the area could be found instead.

It all seems so difficult, maybe ive just complicated it too much in my own head.

11. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a few people who've travelled to Australia, and they get a working visa which allows them to stay there for 1 year I think. I'm not too sure on the USA though. The company I work for are only UK-based so no chance of me moving with work unfortunately. I am determined to move though, don't wanna waste my life living in the same city I was born just working and doing nothing else.

12. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

But isn't the UK a diverse and exciting place in its own right? Maybe you just need a career change.

13. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are lots of places worth visiting in the UK and I would recommend them to anyone however having lived here all my life I just want the experience of living in a different country.

14. CTJ

CTJ

Ive lived and worked in a few different places in the UK but i always end up back in the shitty little town i was born in, i'd like to move to somewhere dramatically different, maybe a new country, but i'd just be too worried about finding work that pays. Anywhere worth living is usually incredibly expensive, at least rent is cheap here.

15. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi CTJ, I work in a different place to where I live now, so have been thinking about moving there. However, it's not that different and I really do think I wanna take a risk and just try something completely different. I know what you mean about the expense thing though. I know from visiting London before how ridiculously expensive it is there.

16. starfish

I would like to move to western Canada.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would actually try a non-English speaking country. Although this is pure conjecture, I feel like you can probably find a fair number of English speakers no matter where you go in Europe. I'd recommend Sweden, Finland or Norway because of their uniquely good world standing on gender rights.

18. SkyDiver

We've got room! :lol:

19. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would love to visit these countries but don't think I could live in any of them because they're all really expensive!

20. Onyxknight

That's a big decision! If you really feel confident in it, though, I wish you the best of luck. :thumbsup: If you decide on the US, I personally would wait at least a year or so and see what state the country is in. It may take you that long or longer to get everything you need done, anyway. It also helps to know what area of the country you'd like to move to. Research things like current price of real estate, cost of living, and job market in those areas.
    Maybe this will help. A good bit seems personal opinion, lol, but it may give you some idea of what you're looking at for the whole process.

Moving To The USA

#20 Onyxknight, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012