1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Something Is Meant To Be....Will It Truly Eventuate

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BrokenGuy, Oct 17, 2012.

1. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

We've all heard it numerous times in real life, in movies, in TV Shows, etc....But if something is meant to be....will it really and truly happen? I am just very much interested in what everyone thinks about this.

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't think anything in the world is truly "meant to be". Things are more likely to happen if one works at it, and they're less likely to happen if one doesn't. Chance plays a part in it, certainly, but happenstance can only so much for you.

To be honest, I think that the "if it's meant to be, it'll happen," attitude itself makes a romance LESS likely to happen. It takes the responsibility for making it happen out of the hands of the people involved, and that's where the responsibility really lies. If romance in going to happen, people need to pursue it and work at it, instead of depending on the fact that "It's meant to be," to do the work for them.

(Also, am I the only person who thought the word "eventuate" was something entirely difference when I first read the thread title? :icon_redf)

3. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

I am in much of the same mindset as you when it comes to this as well. I really believe at working at everything to make something happen, as opposed to leaving something to chance, or just hoping that things will work out. This thread that I posted, all stems from my breakup with my boyfriend, and all the extreme emotions associated with a breakup, that I am currently experiencing!

I am a bit confused on what you mean about the word "eventuate", that is existent in my thread title. Like, do you mean that you were not aware of it's meaning or something?

4. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Oh no, I just meant that I read it as another word at first. :slight_smile:

5. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

Oh OK. I understand. :slight_smile:

6. livinglifefree

I hold a slightly different opinion. I believe that there are some things that are meant to be or are cosmically supposed to happen, but I do believe that people can miss out on those chances or not take the action to make them happen. I think a lot of my reasoning comes from the fact that my girlfriend and I messed up everything fathomable and missed so many opportunities to be together before we were dating. Despite all of our blunders, we ended up getting together. I do believe a huge part of that was us trying so hard, but I also think it was something we were meant to do. She is my everything. I am not saying that she is necessarily "the one", but I do think we were supposed to get together during this time in our lives. I am well aware of how cheesy that sounds. Lol.

7. livewithoutlove

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I do believe in fate, and such. So I strongly believe that is something is meant to be. it will happen, maybe not now, but later. It will happen though :slight_smile:

8. Caudex

Caudex Guest

In response to the original thread, no. There is no such thing as meaning to be. It is a scientific impossibility, because if something is meant to be, that would mean I have no free will, which would mean that my brain state was not arbitrary but fixed, which would mean that the quantum states making up my brain are not subject to the quantum randomization, which is false.

9. Brenny

If you believe in science, then fate isn't a legitimate thing. I believe in God and all that but I do not believe in "the one," or fate or destiny or any of that. We have free will and a choice every day. The point of life (if you believe in that) is that we can choose and life has nearly endless possibilities. Of course there are limits but life is nothing if every little thing is "meant to be."

10. Mogget

In the strictest sense, yes. I don't believe in free will, so things will happen or not happen in accordance with causality. However, I don't think there's any intention or design behind this causality, so there's no reason to think that anyone will be joined with their One True Love.

More generally, I think the idea of a One True Love or that certain things are Meant To Be is a very bad mindset to get into. It encourages stalkery behavior, makes it harder for people to let go of crushes and exes, and doesn't really have any benefit.

11. aeva

In general, I don't really think things are "meant to be". I'm not a believer in fate.

With relationships, I think it can sometimes happen. If two people are separated (whether by their own choice or by extenuating circumstances) and really are right for each other, they often can't move on (or move on, but somehow make their way back to each other, which has happened to two of my family members).

So yes, I think that some connections are too strong to sever, and people find their way back to each other in the most interesting ways. Do I believe it's fate, or divine intervention? No. Do I think that there's only one person you're meant to spend the rest of your life with? No.

But I do think that love is something powerful, and the world is a lot smaller than we sometimes think.

12. Ridiculous

I'm with Mogget.
    Everything in the observable universe is deterministic and future events can be predicted if you know the current state of the variables involved. I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be the case when applied to human behaviour - we are after all just ongoing chemical reactions, and every other chemical reaction is very much predictable.

Lots of objections to this come from invocations of quantum mechanics. I don't understand quantum mechanics (no one does), but I don't see why quantum mechanics should be a silver bullet to disprove determinism in complex systems when determinism can perfectly explain simple systems.

13. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

It is not cheesy at all to me! :slight_smile: I messed up things with my boyfriend, (who is now my ex boyfriend of course) and I wish so much that I could just have a second chance with him. Due to the involvement of many people, and the factor of certain circumstances...The likelihood of getting back together with him, and starting again with a clean and new slate together; is very much unrealistic and improbable.

I am so happy for you! :slight_smile: Despite all the hardships you both had to undergo in the course of leading up to actually getting together, it was clearly worth it.

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2012 at 03:59 PM ----------

In the back of my mind, I know that a small part of me still wants to hold true to this.
    :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2012 at 04:04 PM ----------

Well I most certainly know that every human has the gift of free will. And I understand where your coming from, because it's undoubtedly logical and reasonable in what your stating.

---------- Post added 19th Oct 2012 at 04:09 PM ----------

I definitely believe in God! As for science, I do believe in it to an extent, but without God science wouldn't even be existent.

14. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

That's my dilemma. I can't let go of my ex boyfriend. But, even if you weren't of the mindset of having and finding your One True Love, or that things are Meant To Be; would that still eliminate people from not letting go of those whom they have crushes on, or letting go of their exes?

15. Mogget

Oh, you can definitely still hang on to people if you don't have that mindset. It just makes it a bit easier to let go.

16. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

Something that I find difficult to grasp, is people who only view their boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/wife or husband as an option for the present time, and that if they were to breakup, separate or divorce, it truly isn't such a devastating thing because there is someone else out there for you to be with. Which I feel makes love and relationships seem like it's all disposable, and unmeaningful, and that everything only serves a purpose for however long it lasts for.

Do you feel that love and relationships are taken for granted, when both people only view each other in the relationship as just options?

I love what you wrote about how some connections are too strong to sever, and people find their way back to each other in the most interesting ways.

I fully believe that if the relationship between two people ends for whatever reason, but the love, feelings, attachment, memories etc; are still very strong, and all they felt for that person in the very beginning, is still as strong, if not stronger, even after a fair amount of time has passed.

17. smprob

I don't think there's something meant to be or not meant to be. Things happen when all the factors get together to occur in a certain way. Otherwise it c/should happen in a different way or level, right.

And I don't believe in fate or somebody else having control of our lives. It's us, who determine what could happen to us. But free will seems to be something that goes beyond general human understanding. I mean, considering free will, concerned within only this life is, purely stupid, within the scope of philosophy I follow.

And IDK if there's true lovers or not, cuz I've never met anyone yet, but as BrokenGuy also says, letting go is sure to be a capacity of one's mindset, nothing to do with your capacity of how you can love someone, despite of true or not that love could be. I've seen people who hate each other, but still unable to let go of them. IDK why a lot of people seem to think, that only people fall in a kind of love (true love!) are unable to let go of the other person, or that kind of people definitely are unable to let go of it. It seems to be a myth, that some people hold into, ignoring to see that reality.

Should we hold into science, when thinking of something like this. As I've learned, science is just some knowledge collected for centuries, that can anytime change. There's no permanence in it, right. Otherwise could it be called science? It's the outcome of a studies, done by some people in this world, with existing technology or done purely in their logical mind. It can always change, it has proof.
    How many times, do scientists correct their final conclusions. So why should anyone stick to science, anyway, in everything? Has it covered all about, that seem to clearly exist in our physical world, or how/where we come from to this life before birth or go afterwards. So I don't think, science as good tool for explaining everything out of its scope, or even within its scope sometimes. There's no proof, that any type of modern science has reached its final destination, def no, with all these new discoveries, all the time.

Also there seems, to happen a lot more things, than we can understand within our scope. So if anyone can't explain how/way something could happen, is it evidence to that it could not happen? Or should we go on rejecting/ignoring it's existence or all of those things. I believe everything happens by some reason. So after all, if there's reasons to happen something, it could have been meant to happen, and it should happen, if those factors do not change.

#17 smprob, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  18. BrokenGuy

BrokenGuy Guest

Is a humans existence solely just based on ongoing chemical reactions? I do agree to an extent that in terms of human behaviour, we are predictable, or at least can be predictable. But, if someone was to be punched in the face, and although the common reaction would be to retaliate in kind, there are many people who would refrain from doing such. Therefore, can it be said that everything in the observable universe is deterministic and that future events can be predicted if you know the current state of the variables involved; as you stated? And how does one attain all the current variables involved in a current state, in order to determine or predict, when the variables may be ever changing or falsely understood?

19. aeva

It's true! My aunt dated a man when she was much younger, and they felt the connection but were both in serious long-term relationships at the time, and eventually parted ways. 15 years later, they were both on a dating site and got matched. 4 years ago, I was their bridesmaid.

My uncle dated a girl in high school, but they were separated when they both went to college. 25 years later, they met again. They now have 2 beautiful 8 year old girls.

I think these are isolated incidences, and that's of course not how it works for everybody, or for the world as a whole. But it's comforting to think that a person who's right for you will somehow cross your path, even if you can't see it the first time...even if that isn't the way it works

20. IanGallagher

I'm kind of a psychic who sees that basically everything is determined. You keep going along following your gut and things will go your way. Hell, things sometimes are never meant to go your way in some circumstances also. That said I'm not all deterministic because of this warped wiring (unsure what else to call it) - you can avoid it to and not push forward. That, I think, guarantees a stalemate position and one I'm unsure if someone can hold.... if things weren't somewhat deterministic, people like me - well, we wouldn't exist and sadly (the curse part, not life part) - we do.