1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safer Campus Project

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aielar, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Aielar

So there's this new initiative at the campus I go to about making the college environment more inclusive and welcoming for everyone. The umbrella term for the whole project is Reducing Gender Based Violence, but it's (hopefully) going to address much more than just gender based violence. The project leader wants to do something for lgbtq (and I agreed with them on this because there's one support group in town for lgbtq, which isn't accessible for anyone over eighteen) and the other people on board this project are encouraged to think of ways to actually create a more supportive environment on campus.I've been thinking of potential ways to implement more support for lgbtq in my community and on campus, but some help in the form of suggestions from others who have or haven't been involved in this type of project before would be great.

One thing that would be awesome to hear about is how to support transgendered individuals and what would help them feel welcome and respected - because since I'm not transgendered, it's not as easyfor me to know what's needed by the trans community...which doesn't mean I don't want to do something for trans, just that I'm unsure what could be done. If that makes sense. Thanks in advance :slight_smile: