1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Towing 400+ miles...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Onyxknight, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Onyxknight

Has anyone ever had to tow anything? I'm moving to Ohio Saturday, and the last time I towed anything, it was my dad's boat to the lake when I was about 19. I'm very nervous, especially since I've done everything I can in the past 4 months to avoid driving in this area (hate Maryland drivers).
    Once I'm out on the open highway, and further away from the DC/Baltimore area, I figure I'll be OK. I'm most likely psyching myself out, but a 3 ton truck behind an even heavier truck kinda scares me. If my Bronco were running, I'd just be pulling a little U-Haul trailer, but it's down right now, so I'm stuck with this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Onyxknight

*overly dramatic begging scene* Please, I'm begging you, I need advice! *goes down on knees and clasps hands together* T.T

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry.. I've never towed anything before.. but, I'll give you an early welcome to Ohio!!

4. lostinthought9

There's not much we can do to help you out, except just take your time and make sure all your cargo in the back is secure so that it won't be bouncing around/moving.

Just don't try to rush through traffic and remain alert. You'll be fine. Good luck! :slight_smile:

5. Onyxknight

Lol, OK. And thanks, Cat.

6. starfish

Yep I've towed a fair amount.

3 things to watch.

1. Watch your speed and keep a longer gap as it takes longer to stop.
    2. Don't quickly change lanes, make nice smooth moves.
    3. Makes sure your trailer is properly loaded. You don't want too much or too little tongue weight.

This page has some good tips.
    U-Haul: Tips: Learn how to load and haul a trailer safely

7. Friendly ghost

First of all, Welcome to Ohio! What area are you moving too? (dont mean specifically)

But I've towed a few things. The main thing is make sure everything is secure, and take your time. Don't let people frustrate or rush you. That being said, don't put yourself in the way of others if you don't have to, just to avoid being rushed.

Drive slow at first, get used to the weight of everything. And as others have said, make smooth lane changes. Make sure your turns are wide enough, and pay attention to how it turns when you first start out, to get an idea.

Be careful of where you park. Try not to put yourself in a position that will be hard to get out of, especially in busy areas. Which means try hard to avoid going in reverse. The majority of all truck accidents are in reverse.

Again though, just take your time, and I am sure you will be fine. Good luck :slight_smile:

8. Onyxknight

Thanks, guys. (*hug*) I'm definitely not backing up, lol. I'd jack-knife it immediately. Normally, the drive takes about 8 hours, but we're gonna allot for 10 or more, just to be safe. The good thing is that, aside from turning onto a road or getting off the highway, we'll really only be making 3 little jaunts onto different highways, or to stay on a certain one, so that will definitely make lane-changing easier. Still, thirty feet is a lot to move, lol.

I think my main concern is keeping it between the lines. I don't wanna be in a curve with a car beside me and get a little too close for comfort. Highway lanes are pretty wide for semis and stuff, but still, it makes me nervous.

To answer your question, Ghost, I'll be moving just east of Dayton, so not very far from you, actually. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the link, Starfish. That had some very useful tips. :slight_smile:

#8 Onyxknight, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  9. starfish

One trick I use is to stay out of the middle lane. That way if I need a little extra room I can use the shoulder.

10. Onyxknight

That's what I'm thinking of doing. Stay in the right lane as much as possible, that way if something happens, or I need a little more room, the space is there.