1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acne

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaysuss, Oct 18, 2012.

1. jaysuss

I was wondering on how you view people and yourself with acne. Are you able to look past it or is it impossible to see anything else but that. Are people even recognizable good looking if they have acne. Any type of interpretation is wanted on this!

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

What kind of acne are you talking about?

I would sometimes get a pimple/zit or two to have to deal with every so often, but I know some people in their teens get these terrible breakouts that cover their faces and seem to never go away. If the latter case, you should probably look into medical treatments to help you deal with them. My sister has this problem, and I know she takes pills and applies lotions to try to reduce the acne.

But of course, everyone has blemishes and imperfections. You can certainly be good-looking even if you have acne. It's normal for everyone to have some experience with this themselves, and they should be understanding of you. If they are so shallow that they would dump you if you had a pimple break out, then they are probably not a great boyfriend/girlfriend to have in the first place.

3. smprob

Yes best thing is to get medication from a dermatologist, if you get a lot of them often. However, often they fade away after some years, with no trace that you ever used to have them. But essentially you got take care that they don't get broken, or it could leave scars on your face for life time. Other wise its not big deal. It's something people normally have in teens and then later vanish.

I used to have and some people seemed to notice a lot about it, but some never even cared. So how people care seems to vary. But it would reveal how they really are, right, so seems a good way to know who you want to take seriously :icon_wink.

4. FishMan27

I used to have pretty bad acne. I ended up using medicine for maybe four years, and that seemed to help as long as I was faithful in using the meds. :slight_smile: I personally can look past a person's acne because I know it can't always be helped and it will likely go away in a few years. On the flip side, if it's the kind of person who doesn't do anything to help treat the acne (the same people who never brush their teeth, etc.), I'd have problems, but that's more of a personality thing than physical attractiveness.

5. Gen

Gen

I dont even notice acne.(And I mean that literally).

It seems that about every few weeks I look at people I repeatedly see and am shocked that they have break outs or dont have very clean skin. Its not anything negative of course, its just that I never notice it, so every time I look at someones skin its like a new revelation. It honestly doesnt matter to me, you will probably have to inform me that you have acne before I notice :grin:.

6. Onyxknight

The only reason I have scars is because I couldn't leave them alone. My chin is kinda mottled, go look at my profile pic. Even now, I have to get rid of them. I was so embarrassed by them in high school that I once had this huge one I took a razor blade to, to try to pop it. Not a good idea, and I DO NOT CONDONE THAT! :eusa_naug

I don't really notice it on other people, and it would be pretty hypocritical of me to not like someone because of it. There was a chick in a grade below me that had a smokin' body, and her face was bad broken out all the time. Didn't bother me one bit.

I don't know if you'd call it acne, but once I turned 20, mine started going away. Hormones make a big difference. Now I only get them right before my period, and they aren't nearly as big or as numbered as they used to be.

As for treating it, if you want to avoid chemicals or pricey dermatologist visits and prescriptions, here are some ideas. I've personally never tried any, as I wasn't into the whole natural thing in high school, but it's worth a try. And if none work, what have you lost? At least you can use the ingredients later in some recipe, lol. Good luck.

http://inspiringpretty.com/2011/08/19/10-ways-to-treat-acne-naturally/
    Not sure about the garlic thing, though...

7. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Trust me, I'm worse... Not to one-up anyone in a "who has worse acne" game, but I had HUGE zits in my sophomore/junior year, and popped them.. And now, I've got scars on my face (which are healing) that sometimes make me look like some old guru guy.

8. Alexander69

I get the odd pimple I use so many face cleaners to not get them I spend so much on face care, I also have sensitive skin. But I think it's terrible to judge someone or look past them due to acne. #1 it will go always that's the miracle of Pimples the go away. Don't judge in acne because it wi go away, I used to be grossed out by acne but some people just can't help it and I won't judge them on it. As for how I view it on my self I hate it but I don't usually get then but when I do I put medicine on them and they go away pretty fast.

9. jaysuss

Do you mean medicine that you get from doctors?

10. Markio

I think I would have more difficulty looking past my own acne problems in order to feel capable/worthy of entering a relationship.

I got braces right before I started high school. Turns out I'm allergic to metal, something I didn't learn until after I got the braces off a year and a half later. I'm also extremely sensitive to gluten and dairy, and it turns out I'm not genetically capable of absorbing B-12 very well (which is necessary for your skin's health), as my parents both carried defective genes. For the first year and a half of high school, I had terrible skin. I developed these cysts on my shoulders that would form scabs, but when the scabs were scratched off the cyst would be open underneath, and never heal. I went on Accutane for a year, which as you may know has side effects like severe depression and suicidal thoughts (which was a great addition to being closeted gay at Catholic high school!). Finally, once my braces were off and I discovered my food allergies, my skin more or less cleared up. The cysts disappeared (and only reappear if I eat ice cream or any sugary dessert, which I never eat). I had scarring on my face, but I apply scar gel on a regular basis like it's moisturizer, and my face has evened out pretty well (better than my older brothers, I think). My shoulders are all still really bumpy and uneven, which is why I never take off my shirt in front of people.

I think it's easy to look past someone else's imperfections or break outs. I've found that people generally think they've broken out terribly and it's like one zit and it's small. The more I see a person, the less I'm likely to notice the minute, temporary changes to their appearance. It also helps to no longer be in puberty--that stuff's tough on everyone.

I have some issues to work out regarding how I feel about my own appearance. I think I have a much higher threshold for how other people look.

11. FishMan27

Yeah. I went to a dermatologist. I was on doxycycline (pills) for a while in addition to a few creams. By the end, I was using a Differin gel (also prescription).

Benzoyl peroxide works well and is non-prescription if you're looking for something beyond face cleansers. That's what I use now if I break out.

12. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this probably doesn't help any, but there are some of us out there that could care less about "imperfections" like that. I'm positive you're still sexy, shirt or no shirt. :wink:

13. Alexander69

I have a gluten and dairy allergy too

14. FishMan27

I have a dairy allergy, too! Just wanted to put that out there...

15. jaysuss

I feel so bad that you guys have those allergies! Not eating bread! Just an awful thought to me

16. Alexander69

I can eat gluten free bread :grin:

17. FishMan27

Luckily, I can have dairy in small amounts and I'm fine. Actually, if I didn't find out about my milk allergy, I never would have discovered almond milk which is really good!