1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Oct 18, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

I just saw a thread from someone thinking about moving to another country so I thought I'd post a thread on moving, too! I was wondering about New York? I've always wanted to move and the north seems promising as the states are more open minded and the weather is generally cooler. In my opinion New York has always been depicted a dangerous place to live and somewhere you wouldn't want to be outside past 9 pm. Is it really this dangerous? I really like the idea of living in a big city all alone to start a new life. Input on New York or other cities will be much appreciated! :slight_smile:

2. Gen

Gen

New York, itself, is not dangerous. There are various different areas to live there so it differs from place to place. I would say that you should pick a few cities you would like to move to in the US a take short visits there. Specifically New York, because people usually have strong opinions there. Its its amazing or they dont like. I didnt really care for it, my sister loved it there. You will really have to test it out yourself.

But definitely atleast NY since that is what is catching your eye.

3. Onyxknight

This is pretty much what I told the other person: Research, research, research! If you're wanting to move to NYC, definitely make sure it's some place you're gonna be happy living. Cost of living, real estate, job market, and, if you're concerned about safety, crime rate and emergency services will be important factors.

I'd have to agree that more northern states are likely more open-minded. At least, since I moved here, I've noticed there seems to be a more open gay community (compared to OK), and the culture is more diverse, as well, as you have people from all over the world coming into these east coast states. Consider transportation, too. In urban metro areas you're more likely to come across public transportation. There are trains, buses, and cabs all over here.

Think about the laws in other states, as well. It may not seem like a big thing, but moving state to state can mean some changes in law. For example, Maryland is very strict on gun laws. Certain pistols are banned as "assault pistols", and it is illegal to manufacture magazines capable of holding 20 or more rounds, although it is not illegal to possess one. You must pass a safety course before purchasing a gun, and you are not allowed to sell a gun privately. Mississippi has very different laws. You may purchase a pistol or long gun without a permit, and you may sell it without one, as well. You are not required to complete a safety course before purchasing a gun, and public carry is allowed with a certificate in applicable areas outside the home. Permits are not required for transporting firearms in a vehicle, either, whether concealed or open. This is just an example, but if you love hunting, or just shooting guns, or anything else, really, the laws will have an impact on you.

Just make sure to take all variables into consideration. Make a list of the things you'd like in a place you'll live, and go from there. Good luck. :thumbsup:

4. needshelp

i don't know all that much about living in nyc but i do know that it's one expensive place to live. it's also safer than most american cities. it depends on where you go though. some places are much more safer than others. something will less likely happen to you if you lived in soho or chelsea than in somewhere like south jamaica or east new york.

#4 needshelp, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. TheUndiscovered

Will definitely have to look into visiting New York for a few days to see if I like it. I know the city itself takes some getting used to but it would be a major bummer if I just look at pictures, bought an apartment, and ended up hating the place. :I

6. snowflurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've lived in New York City all my life, and I can tell you that depending on where in it you live, it can be very safe (personally, where I live, I feel completely comfortable walking around late at night). If you have any questions let me know!

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Depends on your financial situation. New York is a very expensive city. It's also very big and quite varied. If you can afford an apartment in Manhattan (say in a traditional gayborhood like Chelsea or Greenwich Village), then yeah, its pretty gay-friendly and there is a lot to do. If you're stuck having to live in an outer borough or suburb, then its more hit-or-miss on gay-openness, though it may be a bit safer.

I don't think New York is particularly dangerous for a city of this size. It's not the seedy criminal underworld it was in the 70s and 80s, it's much more family friendly nowadays. If you're coming from a small town though, then yeah, it can be overwhelming. Crime is just a fact of life in a big city. But you heard that people don't stay outside past 9PM in New York? This is the city that never sleeps...just make friends and make sure you travel together in groups if you're out late at night.

In fact, in general I'd say the most important thing is to make friends and have a crowd to hang out with, otherwise you might feel quite lonely and miserable if you're alone in such a cold and impersonal city of 10 million.

8. TheUndiscovered

I was just using 9PM as a way to say I've heard it's not the safest place to wonder out alone at night. I am from a sort of small town and my closest city is Charlotte so New York will definitely be something I'd have to get used to.

9. prism

Basically everything that Gen said. You'll hear a lot of hype about how NYC is the greatest city on Earth, but I know plenty of people that can't stand it.

I had never visited the city and I didn't know anyone when I moved here. I was lucky; I made friends very quickly and I love the city. However, there are many moments where I want to curse out some jerk New Yorker or dumb taxi driver. I've actually done both of those things, many times...

Anyway, research it. It is very expensive to live here. Everything here is twice the price I used to pay back home. On the other hand, you'll theoretically get payed more since the cost of living is higher.

You should read about San Francisco, L.A., Chicago, and Boston too!

Good luck!

10. aeva

I grew up right outside London, then moved to right outside New York with my family while I was in elementary school. I'm not much of a city person, so I don't go in THAT much, especially now that I'm at college upstate, but I've never had a problem...and it is definitely one of the most incredible places to be. If you know where to go and where not to, you'll be ok. Most places are so high-traffic and well-lit that you don't have to worry. Other place I would definitely recommend not visiting at all- day or night.

As a whole, I love New York as a city and a state. There's no place like it!

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Wandering out alone at night can be dangerous in pretty much any city. Especially if you get lost and don't actually know where you are going. But some areas are safer than others. A lot of the busiest parts of the city are very bright and active all through the night.

But generally you should just use common sense precautions and don't do anything stupid that would invite trouble. For example wandering out by yourself to a new place, getting drunk, then getting lost on your way home, could be a recipe for bad news.

Of course, sometimes things just happen. When I was 14, I was almost mugged around the corner from my high school in Chelsea right in broad daylight. Luckily I outran him. Other than that there really haven't been any other dangerous incidents I can recall in NY.

If you want to hear about a real dangerous city though...this past summer, I was with a group out drinking in a park in Moscow, Russia late at night (the metro closes at 1 AM, so we were stuck there 'til morning), and I wandered off by myself into a little wooded area of the park to find a place to relieve myself from all the drinking. Then, stumbling as drunk as could be, I ended up getting lost and wandering around, until I found myself stuck in a dead-end alley by an abandoned warehouse. There these guys started shouting taunts at me, I couldn't see them, but their voices kept getting closer. I turned and ran the hell out of there, then just kept walking as fast as I could. I couldn't remember anyone's phone number, but luckily someone called me and I was able to re-connect with the group, but that was scary, I probably would have gotten killed that night if I came face to face with those drunks.

But yeah, New York is much safer. But still, it's always best to stick with a group. :wink: