1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reaaaally weird thing happened today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cassandra, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello!!!:slight_smile:

I just wanted to share some weird experience that happened to me today.

But first, I need to put some background. I'm a lawer, and I specialize on tribute matters; that means I defend people who gets in trouble with their taxes.

Here, when you don't pay your taxes, the Mexican equivalent to the IRS (called SAT) determines how much you owe in non paid taxes, fines, surcharges and actualizations, with a grand total called the "fiscal credit". If you don't pay, they start the Procedimiento Administrativo de Ejecución (Administrative Execution Procedure), wich involves sending an executor (yes, it sounds intimidating) who goes with the omissive tax payer and asks for the payment. If the tax payer doesn't pay, the executor sequestrates enough goods to ensure the payment.

This means that the executor is commonly seen as "the enemy" (just to say a name) to the eyes of the tax payer, because he is the one who actually does the "bad things" (a.k.a., seizing goods). As you may imagine, even when we (as lawyers) try to be polite with the SAT's executors, because they are also lawyers dimply doing their jobs; it's impossible for us to not take sides with the client, and often we see them as "the enemy", and they see us as their "stubborn obstacles".

And here is the weird thing. Today came a female executor to ask for the payment of some "fiscal credits". I explained her it was a mistake from their part (trying to be polite of course) for some technical reasons, and she understood very well (strange enough for a SAT employee, since their bosses always telll them to hear no excuses). She asked me for a copy of some papers, and while I was going and coming I noticed she was looking at me.

At first I didn't put much attention to her, but at some point I rememberd her. She was the executor I had a dispute with on july (when she went to sequestrate goods of a client that, just to say it shortly, was unjustly charged with a fiscal credit). That time, we argued about some technical points, and at the end we settled with statement in wich she said she didn't find any seizeable goods.

Anyway, when I gave her the copies she asked, she asked me if I was the one of that other case. I answered that yes, I was the same lawyer. This was another strange thing, since she, as an executor, has to deal with a lot of cases every day, and that being some months ago, I didn't expect to remember me, let alone recognize me (I always use an abundant beard -because I don't like my childish face- but today I had it completely shaved for reasons I'm not going to discuss here:icon_redf).

After that, she asked me to sign the papers she was going to leave (as normal), and I extended my arm so she could hand me the papers. But instead, she asked me to sit beside her. Another strange thing, because normal executor behavior is to give the papers to the person who needs to sign it and waiting beside while we sign.

I had to sign four times (2 for each credit) wich isn't really much, since on a good day one can sign around 10 times. I almost finished when she asked:

[Executor] "Not even when you married, right?"
    [Me] "Excuse me?"
    [Executor] "I mean, that you're signing a lot, and I was saying that not even when you married had to sign so much times. If you're married..."
    [Me] "Ah, that's nothing, the other day the mail guy had a lot of letters, and I had to sign about 30 times or so, so this is not really anything at all:slight_smile:"
    [Executor] "Ohh I see..."

When she said that comment about the marriage, I got nervous: that's usually the kind of comment women use (at least here) to know if someone is married. It's a common formula. That's why I diverted the attention to that 30 signs anecdote (which is true, by the way). I've already thought she was behaving strange, but that got me unprepared.

Then I thought I was just imagining things. The executor took her papers, and left. A couple of my coworkers (females also) were hearing the conversation, but I told them what happened (without saying anything about that I was worried). But, we kept talking about it, and when we reached that marriage comment, they said it out loud:

"Ehhhhhhhhh, you "stuck your bubblegum" with her, ehhhhhhhhhhh".

I only laughed at this. But who knows?, maybe I did. If that's true, that would be a very weird way to "stick my bubblegum", being "enemies" and all. If not, it's at least a weird anecdote to share with friends.

That's all for now. See you!!!(*hug*)

2. Onyxknight

Lol, nice. Americans will normally use such seemingly innocent questions to determine if you're taken, as well. Sometimes it's downright obvious, though, lol.

3. The Queen Bee

Parece que quiere contigo.
    Jajajaja...
    Está tanteando el terreno.

But, who knows... I might be wrong.