1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People with less money spend more money when they get it. Worried about my friend :O

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Alexander69

Ok so I have a friend and she isn't "rich" she is from a family with little money and she has her first job and is making money( not a lot) but she is spending like I spend but I have money :/ so my question was do people who come from a family with less money spend more when they get money because they are not used to being able to buy what they want. So they go crazy? Because that's what she is doing. I spend my parents money not mine but when I move out I'm not going to spend like I spend now I know the difference between needs and wants and I guess because I've gotten everything I've always wanted I feel like when I get a job and will be spending my money I won't spend as much. But it seems like she doesn't now the difference between a "need" and a "want" and I mentioned to her that you know you've spent all your paycheck today she's like "I know" I'm like but you need to learn to not spend all that you have because how can you move out on your own? She's like "I don't care I want this stuff" so I was like well there are needs and wants she's like "I dot care about needs and wants" so I'm just worried that she will end up in debt or something :O can I get some info so I can try to help her because I'm not used to worrying about money but I'm worrying about her. I've heard about celebrities who come from poor backgrounds and they get money and spend it all and I dot want that to be her since she also has to go to school to be a lawyer.

2. Onyxknight

Re: People with less money spend more money when they get it. Worried about my friend

I get like that when I get money, but generally, once I've bought all that I think I "need," I calm down and start putting some back. I've become a lot more conscious of that in the last few years. High school, though, I was bad about blowing it. It burnt a hole in my pocket. I'd realize I just got paid two days ago, and was almost out of money. It sucked.

You said you've tried talking to her, but maybe try again. You may eventually talk some sense into her, especially if she's just blinded by money signs right now. I'd say, maybe let her get it out of her system, then in a few months or so, try again? I'm sure you'd rather her start saving as soon as possible for college, especially for law school, but some people just need to go through the "phase" (hate putting it that way) before they realize what they're doing and how it could affect them.

Maybe, if she seems receptive when you talk to her again, you could suggest she set herself a spending limit. That way she can still buy stuff she wants, and at the same time be putting money back. Depending on what monthly expenses she may have (if she's living at home, I'll assume none but gas, insurance or car payment) have her separate what her mandatory expenses are, then allot maybe $50 or so (whatever the equivalent may be) for random spending, then put the rest back into savings. Again, no idea what her expenses or income are, but this method can be adjusted to her financial situation.

#2 Onyxknight, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  3. Jared

Re: People with less money spend more money when they get it. Worried about my friend

I think when someone is used to not having money and then they do, they feel the need to spend to get all the stuff they wanted but could never have. They probably feel like that since the money started flowing in, that will do continuously and as much as they want. I have a few friends who has soon as they got jobs and some money, pissed it all away on clothes and stuff like that and now can't pay for their cars they need to get to college or are up to their eyeballs in debt. I personally don't quite get it, but then again I'm a rather cheap person, I hardly spend any money, except on food, you can't put a price on a good meal, that's my one indulgence. I would try talking to her again, if you repeat yourself enough, it might start to sink in. Though if you're throwing money around, it might be hard for her to take her seriously.

4. Alexander69

It's so har for me to understand her position she got all mad at me and yelled at me saying "your family Is rich you have no clue what it's like if I spent $250 on a t shirt my mom would call me crazy!!" I'm like that's true I understand that but you can't be spending like I spend its not an option or you. But she wouldn't reason with me, and she is dating guys just for there money and is bragging about it. The only reason I'm friends with her was because she was the only person who find use me for things all my other friends used me for dinners, clothes, drinks anything because I had the money to do so. An now she is turning in to that an I told her not to because I don't want to be frieds with people like that and I told her that we are still friends because she isn't like that. I don't know he is so smart and is very pretty and now thy she realizes it she is taking advantage of her looks she's spray taking now she got bleach blonde streaks done in her already blonde hair bought a Gucci bag today so I just don want her to be like my old friend and she's turning in to them. Ad it's making me sad. Because she feels like I can't undersatnd her because we are so different. And I even tried to tell her that when I move out and I have my own money I will NOT spend like I spend now. And she I so smart she's going to be a lawyer and needs to go to school an I just want ye best for her but I feel like I failed her because everyone that knows her blames her new attitude on me they say I "changed" her and I don't know how I did that. And I guess I feel like I'm responsible if se fucks her life up ugh why me ......

5. Onyxknight

How long have you been friends with her? If this is a recent development in at least a year or so of friendship, then obviously everyone else can shut up about it. I kinda doubt you'd try to change her anyway, it sounds like you really care. I don't have much experience with telling someone else to chill out, I got lucky with my best friend. Although if she ever does something stupid, we're so close I can pretty much slap her in the face when she's being stupid and she won't get mad at me.

If you guys are really close, I would hope that eventually she'll come around. I had a time with my best friend where I preferred hanging out with some other people to spending time with her. She tried to tell me it was changing me, but I blew her off, thinking she was just jealous. She ended up being right, and I told her so. We got through it OK because we love each other. If you guys are that close, it's possible she'll eventually realize it. You can try everything you want, but if she's blind to it, then you may have to get used to being on your own until she either comes to or you find someone else to hang out with. My best friend just left me alone till I realized what I was doing. Would that work with her?

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

People who don't grow up with much money typically are terrible at budgeting, and have no concept of how to value the money they do have.

I'm making a generalization here, but typically people on the lower end of the income scale are also less educated. So often, parents don't have the skill or knowledge of budgeting, price comparison, determining the value of things, and other basic life skills. (For that matter, many children of wealthy parents don't get any of these skills, either but it's because their parents teach them to be spendthrifts.)

So very often, they get their first job and they just spend, spend, spend... they blow their whole paycheck and don't have money for rent, insurance payments, car payments, or whatever. So they get credit cards... and mount up debt that way. It's bad. And, sadly, when people try to teach them, they are often resistant, in part because they're ashamed of not having that knowledge.

There isn't a lot you can do. Money is something very sensitive for people, and it can be very hard to talk about. Additionally, I don't think you're going to be the right person to teach her since, near as I can tell, you haven't meaningfully changed any of your habits yet, though you're working on it.

My suspicion is that your friend probably wants to be like you and is spending her money to try and achieve that... except that she can't since she has a very limited supply of money and yours seems to be close to limitless. So about the only thing you can do, if you really want someone that isn't like your other friends... is to start behaving like the sort of person you want to have as a friend. If your friend sees you still wearing the expensive stuff and going into all those stores... that's certainly not going to send a message of being cautious about her spending habits.

I don't think, until you really shift who you are and are acting (and dressing) more authentically, that you're going to attract the sort of authentic people you seem to be wanting. I know that probably isn't what you want to hear, but if you're serious... and not just telling the EC community what you think we want to hear... then you'll experience the change over time, as you change. As much as you want to, you can't change a lifetime of entitlement and privilege within a week (or even a month's) time. It's consistent, incremental change.

But you seem to be taking the right steps, so just keep at it, and work on yourself, and as you change, you'll start to attract people who are more authentic, and interested in being with you because you're a nice guy, not a guy with money.

7. Alexander69

Chip I have changed today when I Went shopping I didn't buy anything with her I tried to convince her not to buy stuff :O I really really really want to change and that's why I kept her as a friend because I felt like she was a good influence on me but I'm second guessing that now :frowning2:

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well... I wouldn't ditch her. Yet, anyway. But perhaps you can try to have deeper conversations with her about the difference between 'want' and 'need.'

My guess is you won't get anywhere because when I have those sorts of conversations, the person usually listens politely, murmers pleasant and positive sounds, and does what they wanted to in the first place.

So that leaves it to whether there's a real friendship there. If the focus when you are together is mostly on buying stuff, or talking about spending money, or other "surfacey" things, then it probably isn't a friendship worth keeping. But if you can talk about deeper stuff, like fears and hopes and worries... then it's more like a real friendship.

9. Alexander69

No we don't talk like that she doesn't know I'm gay either she is homophobic :/

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

In addition to what Chip has mentioned, do you think that you would like to have a friendship with her? If so, how could you make this friendship work so that the both of you have a real friendship.

That said, you have mentioned that she is homophobic - to me that would be a good reason to maybe say that this friendship is not one of those you really want to cultivate, unless you see some changes in her and feel that she would accept you, even if she would know about your sexual orientation.

11. Onyxknight

I've gotta agree with this. If she's not likely to accept something that is a huge part of who you are, and is not willing to listen when you're trying to help her (granted, we all get a little stubborn,) then it sounds like she may be the last person you wanna be friends with.

12. FashionDisaster

I come from a poor family so maybe I can help you to understand some of your friend's thoughts. I don't know if any of this will help you understand how your friend is thinking. I have never met her before, so I could be totally off the mark. I just know what I felt and saw from my sisters when we were around your age.

Growing up extra money was something that we rarely had. When we occasionally did though, my parents would always end up spending it all on stuff for the family. They were always trying to make up for a meager Christmas, birthday, or just guilt about being poor. The problem with this is that my sisters and I grew up thinking that is what you did with money. I don't know about your friend's parent/s, but I knew many people where it was similar. It was even worse for the kids whose parents spent all the extra money on themselves. They got the same lesson, but none of the joy.

As others have mentioned, she is also jealous of you. No offense to you, but I know that it would be annoying to me to hear you say anything about my spending. This isn't your fault though; it is just hard to hear someone, who can live the way you want to, tell you that you can't spend that way because you are poor. I highly doubt you said the last part, but it is something that I would feel is automatically implied when saying I can't spend this way. The worse part for me would be that you are right because I am poor. I can't spend that way right now if I ever want to not be poor because the world isn't always fair.

I suspect that she is also trying to accept that the world isn't a fair place and is starting to believe that using others is okay. In some ways she does already understand that the world isn't fair, but there is a lot of anger about being poor that is hard to get over. College can seem like this impossible pipe dream sometimes, and it just seems like it makes more sense to to do whatever it takes to get ahead. A lot of other people do the same sort of stuff anyways. If someone else gets hurt who cares. They either deserve it or don't matter anyways. This is a very dangerous way to think; it ruined two of my sister's lives thinking that way. It is also a very hard thing for a friend to stop. In the end, she needs to remember why it is wrong to not care if you hurt others.

Lastly, she might also be worried about her parent/s taking the money if she doesn't spend it right away. Once I had a job and lived at home, it always seemed like there was some bill that needed to be paid or some sort of emergency going on. Before I knew it, any money I had was gone. My parents didn't want to do borrow money all the time, but why let a bill be late when the money is available right now. Then once their check came in, all of it was always gone to groceries, bills, or something someone needed but had been put off. There just never seemed to be any left to pay me back right away, but it was okay because they could always pay me back next time. Except the same thing seemed to happen every paycheck. Then a few months down the road we would be behind on bills again and they would need to borrow again. You also can't tell a parent no because you live at home.

Personally I think it might be best to take some time to not worry about her finances. Since your cutting down on your spending, she might start to feel less need to always be spending anyways. More, importantly she needs to realize why it is wrong to date someone just for money. The sort of thinking that allows that influences everything someone does; as you have seen from previous friends.

P.S. I just saw that you said she is homophobic. You might want to ask yourself if you think that she might ever be able to not be. If not, you should ask if the hardship that will come from trying to help someone who doesn't want help is worth it for someone who won't be there for you when you need help.

13. Alexander69

Like I said before I guess I try to help her because I feel like I changed her and I don't k ow if I did it didn't but :frowning2: I hope I didn't! When I first met her was from another friend and she seemed really chill and I wanted to hang with someone like that and now she is like my old friends who I can't stand snobby bitches who view them selves so highly it's sickening. I don't want her to get used to spending all her money on items that she doesn't need, like I do but am trying to stop, she's close with her family something I envy about her and her family is so nice to me I went to there home and they welcomed me graciously it was so nice of them I stayed for dinner and that's when I was like she is a true person and her family is so nice, and now that she's 18 she's not as close with her family she thinks now that she's 18 they can't tell her what to do and I think that her not being as close with her family has changed her a bit to.

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well, it might be that she is 'looking-up' to you, and thinking that going shopping on a regular basis and spending money is kinda cool. Sure there might be that. But (in some ways) you can also talk to her about why you want to change, and use yourself as an example as to how one can change or not go further down the path of just spending money for the sake of spending money.

At the same time, I'm a bit puzzled as to why you are spending so much time on thinking about her. One you have mentioned that she is homophobic, and two the following in 'describing' her:

What are you hoping to get out of this friendship?

15. Alexander69

Idk :frowning2:

16. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That is something to think about then. :slight_smile: