1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have kids?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PurpleCrab, Oct 19, 2012.

?

Do you have kids?

1. Yes I do!

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. No I don't!

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  3. No but I want to (maybe).

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  4. No and I don't want to.

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. PurpleCrab

I just wondered how many LGBT people here in this forum have kids.
    If you don't, do you ever imagine having them someday? How do you think they'll change your life? Do you think that their existence may change your perception of yourself, your LGBT identity or your behavior anyhow?
    If you do have kids, please tell me if the change was how you expected it would be, and if it did change your perception of yourself, your LGBT identity or your behavior. Also maybe the unexpected changes in your life/in how you view your life.

Personally having kids is a great part of who I am and I'm going to answer my own question too in a reply below to not make the opening post too long (*hug*)

2. King

King Guest

I don't have kids yet, but I 100% want them more than anything ever in the entire world. I love kids and I'll be a great dad someday. :slight_smile:

3. vyvance

No, and I don't ever want to.

4. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not at the moment. There are times when I want to have a brood to dote on and cook for (specifically the latter). And the there are times when I feel I've put so much time and energy into my siblings that I want the majority of my life to be spent on myself, my career, and any future partner(s).

I definitely want grandchildren though. For some reason I think that would be a blast.

5. Fiddledeedee

I don't have them -- I'm fifteen, peeps! :lol: I do not particularly wish for a baby, but if my future partner is desperate for children I'd be okay adopting slightly older kids.

6. PurpleCrab

To answer my own question, I have a wonderful 15 months old daughter and a second one on the way, due for march.
    It didn't go like I had expected, at all. For one, I half believed people around me when they said it was a (bad) life changer; very expensive, very limiting, very tough on the nerves.
    It ended up being so easy, so inexpensive and... just full of joy, basically. My daughter was barely born that I had a solid connection with her who happened to just improve over time. I already knew instinctively how to hold her, how to understand her, how to communicate with her and she's been an awesome baby. From birth on she's always just been... nice; like she wants to please us, she wants to make us laugh, she don't want to disturb or to be a hindrance. She's social, she adores music, she adores to dance. Everybody loves her!
    Becoming a parent DID change how I perceived myself, as well. It's like I suddenly became more valuable (somehow?) as a person because I am taking care of another. That's just a feeling, nothing that can be explained logically, but I do enjoy life much deeper, every single little thing; somehow my life seems brighter, happier.
    It did also change how I perceive myself as a LGBT individual (a bisexual transman) and I have to admit that I didn't expect my identity and sexual orientation would appear as such an obstacle now. My life values have slightly slid from wanting personal expression/freedom most to wanting what's best for my kids and I find myself struggling to arrange so both goals fit together. Sounds easy at first; I keep being my old loving self and good husband and dad and things will fall down at their place. But no.. I also have to find the right/best environment for this to happen and keep a constant guard up against what homophobic person/trans-phobic person might put in the way of my family's happiness.

My behavior slightly changed too. I find that I place less efforts/energy into meeting other people, whether they be friends or potential lovers (my marriage is an open one) and I focus more on my wife and family life. That's not a bad change per say, it's just that seeing my wife being such a good mom drives me more to her! :love:

I still am who I am though, that didn't change. I don't hide it in any way, shape or form. I'm an ameliorated me :slight_smile:

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i am sworn against creating biological children. I would happily adopt.

8. FishMan27

I'm still a bit young for kids, but hopefully in ten years or so. I love kids, and I'd like to have biological kids--maybe one kid with my genes and one kid with my future partner's genes. :slight_smile:

9. MixedNutz

No kids. Me and the bf aren't planning on any either. We've decided 1 pug is all we can handle..

10. timo

No, I don't have any kids and I don't want any. Not ruling out that I'll never have them, but the chance I ever change my mind on this subject is very small.

If a guy 100% sure does want kids, no matter how hot/cute/awesome/perfect he is, it's a dealbreaker.

11. Onyxknight

Same here. I've babysat, and while I have plenty of patience usually, kids are just one of those things I'd rather not deal with. Not that they're bad, they're just not my cup of tea.

12. AspieINTJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I would love to have kids! A whole house full of them!

13. smprob

My choice would depend on my future partner, meh. If there were to be any kids I think it would change my life, anyway. I can't live as they don't exist. So I'd have to give more time for that.

14. aeva

Nope. I'm almost positive I don't want them, but if my wife did then I would think about it.

15. PurpleCrab

Woa no other parents here so far? I'm really stunned! :eek: gets me to wonder why though; like, do LGBT parents stop foruming once they have kids? :icon_wink

:eusa_clap(*hug*) Love that idea. I wish you the best with this!! Honestly. :smilewave

16. ShnugglyWumpkin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would like to have one or two down the road, but I'm still young.

17. jaysuss

I don't want kids because i won't be a good dad. Plain and Simple

18. redstormrising

i don't have any, but i expect i will in the future. my partner absolutely wants kids and i've warmed up considerably to the idea. these days i'm having a hard time imagining us going through the rest of our lives just the two of us - it would be really nice to have a family of our own

19. PurpleCrab

That's something that was deeply moving, for me, when I was walking hand in hand with my wife before we had kids. There was something, someone, missing.. we painfully missed our kids before having them!

20. Brenny

I go back and forth about wanting them. I don't have any but I've always had a kind of parent/friend relationship with my youngest sister and although I act like I don't like children, sometimes just taking care of them/interacting with them is fulfilling. So eventually, I think I would want to have a kid, if it isn't too difficult to make happen.