1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

telling parents about gf/bf?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by flyinhernikes, Oct 20, 2012.

1. ive been out for years but im still yet to master or even see the point of telling my mum if/when i have a girlfriend (i dont have one atm lol). i always find it awkward and she seems to brush it under the carpet anyway and not take any interest/ask questions about it like other parents would.

so my first question is for out people, do you tell your parents when you get a s/o? how long do you leave it if you do?

me i dont see the point in announcing it straight away, because things could go wrong early on i would prefer to leave it a few months. im quite a private person and just somehow dont see the need to tell my mum until things were well established (i know a few months isnt a long time, but its when i would feel slightly more comfortable that the relationship might go somewhere) :|

my 2nd question if someone was to not tell there parents until a few months in would you think less of them? i just always was pressured into telling my mum when i didnt think it was her business yet.....

2. Brenny

I haven't really dated yet but in my opinion, it should be perfectly fine to wait a little bit before you tell the family that you are dating someone, especially when you are a technical adult. Personally, I'd want to avoid the hype (my parents would be ALL over me harrassing with questions) until our relationship is for sure not just a brief fling. That may take a while but I see no problem with waiting like a month, maybe two.

As for the second question... If you wait several months... It is kind of a weird thing. I think it all depends on your s/o and what their opinion is on the matter so it is probably situational. In general, it'd probably be nice just to announce to your family if a relationship seems to be getting somewhat serious.

3. aeva

My parents are as accepting as anybody could possibly be. Just tonight, my step-mom was pointing out cute girls to me at the wedding we were attending.

When I was living at home, it ranged from as soon as I made a date with somebody, to a few weeks into the relationship. Now that I have moved out of the house, I'd probably just mention an upcoming or recent date whenever I next spoke to them. I have never told them about one-night-stands and never would, although in general that's not my style. My step-mom gets REALLY curious, but she'd also understand if things were still developing and therefore wouldn't push too hard.