1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of Argentina?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Orion, Feb 5, 2008.

1. Orion

I know this has been done before, but I really want to know what's your impression of Argentina, what you think of when you hear it's name and what you know about it.

If you are from Argentina then... why are we still talking in english?? :dry:

2. biisme

i like argentina!!!! i have friends down there!!! go argentina!!!

3. Orion

Haha! That's great! At first I didn't think Argentina had a presence at all here. I guess I was wrong, I even met someone from argentina a while ago.

4. Gustav

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly think of cattle and fields. i know they are a huge supplier of beef, but that is all i know.

5. biisme

i think of penguins!!!! b/c one of my friends was talking about penguins wandering into her town....

6. ok455

I like Argentina i seen some clips of their price is right.

7. Windowlicker

(I'm going to post this in English so that everyone here can understand)
    Well, I'm from Argentina, and I like it here. It's not the best country in the world, I know, but the problems here are mainly caused by the people who run the country (I'm not going to get into details about this).

8. biisme

9. Windowlicker

hahaha, funny you think about penguins, the previous president (who is the husband of the current president) was called 'the penguin' because he comes from a southern province, where you can find lots of penguins

10. biisme

hahaha....

i have this weird image of Argentina being really hot....and yet, there are penguins walking around :slight_smile:

i know that's right, but it's still what i think of. :slight_smile:

11. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm Uruguayan, and after having met many people from there (I live in a touristic destination, so we're literally flooded by people from there during the summer) sadly I don't have a very high opinion of Argentina, especially of Buenos Aires and Gualeguaychu.

All people from Buenos Aires I know but one girl have struck me as extremely arrogant. They treat us Uruguayans as lower beings, and they talk of Uruguay as if it were a province of Argentina, which is quite annoying. I don't say that everyone is like that there, but as I say, all but one of those I know are like that, to varying extents.

And about Gualeguaychu... just watch the news.

So, yeah, when I think of Argentina I think of the Botnia conflict and the stereotype of Buenos Aires' resident, which is what we see here in Atlantida. Not a very nice picture.

12. Orion

Yeah I know what you mean. There are serious conflict of interests here. And the sectorial preferences brought by each party are only making it worse.
    On top of that we have an incredibly eventful history. We just don't use the little we have here and we let others abuse it.

And actually Argentina has a wide variety of climates. There's tropical in the north and polar in the south and all the others in between :lol: .

13. Windowlicker

well, on the north of the country (I'm on the north east) it is really hot (specially on this part of the year), but to the south the temperature gets lower (REALLY low)

(edit: well, orion put it in better words)

14. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen really nice places in photos, mainly from the south (I like the cold), but I could perfectly live without ever setting foot in Buenos Aires. However I'll probably have to next month...

15. Orion

Yeah, many Argentinians are downright arrogant, specially people from Buenos Aires. However I was born away enough from it to appreciate the difference. My city (just 80 kilometers from Buenos Aires, or less) does have that porteƱo wannabe feel but my family knows better :icon_wink

Regarding Botnia I'm torn. It's very hypocrytical of the Argentinian activists to protest against the opening of Botnia, specially considering the numerous (papeleras? vocabulary??) that reside in Argentinian territory and that pollute their asses off.
    Besides from that, I should know, I live in an industrial city and contamination is just ridiculous.

That said, I'm against the protests that cut off the bridge, but I can't help but feel dislike towards Botnia, but then again, so do I for any contaminating industry (i.e. Esso, Siderca, etc.)

16. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a friend down there serving on a religious mission. From the letters he's sent it sounds like an okay place (though he's been one to think everything is so great when it's really not). Lol. All he's talked about are the people and they seem nice and he talks about the food a lot.

17. ethene

My view of Argentina is a very modern, prsoperous country, with some great places to see, and I liked the movie El hijo de la novia :wink:

18. Lane

Don't really know a whole lot about Argentina. But from what I do I wouldn't mind visiting at some point to see it for myself. What I do know is I love Malbec.

19. Psychedelic Bookmarks

i only really know that they play great football. i guess i think of it much like other south american countries... cool, latin, funky, but possibly with some poverty/political issues. it's mainly a positive image :slight_smile:

20. Ty

Ty Guest

I dont really think much of South America. I used to think the majority was rainforest o.0 and which parts were Argentina and Brazil lol. Hmm... so yeah, no opinion on South American countries what-so ever!