1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you want to know if your roommate was gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by FishMan27, Oct 20, 2012.

?

Would you want to know if your roommate was gay?

1. Yes

62 vote(s)
    87.3%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    12.7%
  1. FishMan27

So a couple weeks ago, I went to a presentation on diversity, and it was kind of an interactive thing. Part of the presentation was on LGBT issues, and one question that was raised was "Would you want to know if your roommate was gay?"

Before this question was posed and discussion opened up, there was a skit where the roommate of a gay college student found out about his sexual orientation by pressuring him into outing himself. The roommate was straight and was freaking out about how his roommate hadn't told him, and he felt like he had a "right to know."

After that skit, it kind of puts a bad image on anyone who would want to know if their roommate was gay so no one raised their hand when the question was asked. The question wasn't "Does it matter if your roommate was gay?" It was "Would you want to know if your roommate was gay?"

I think I have an opinion on this, but I'm just curious what you all think.

2. jaysuss

Well if he is cute and is gay could be nice :slight_smile: But if I was straight I would probably want to know but I don't think it matters since my parents raised me on equality anyway.

3. Ticklish Fish

I haven't live in a college dorm or live "on my own" with people to share rents kind of experience. But in many college stories I have read, sexual orientation probably is not the only problem. Your roommate might not be a problem more than your HALLmates.

(insert collegehumor's roommate pranks of any sorts of problems you can think of: slob, racist, sexist, stereotype, drunk, frat, soro etc.)

Different people have different ways to annoy you or be inconsiderate. However, the core question of my roommate's sexuality would be, if their action provides an environment that is difficult to dorm in....

Also, personally, how much I should know and how much I need to know depends how often I am in the residence or how close I am with the roommates...

4. IllusiveRannoch

kind of a mixed answer for me. the possibilities are limitless.

i've got to go with 'yes' in regards to the said question. in regards to the implied question, no it would not matter to me.

if my roommate was gay & wanted to tell me, i'd try to make him (i'm going w/ he as example) feel as comfortable as possible leading up to it, then give him a great hug U whisper 'guess what...so am i'. i'd probably do things such as dropping subtle hints that i am gay myself & that he needs not worry about judgement. or ask if he can relate to a scenario i've had in the past or going through.

5. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd want to know but I wouldn't have a problem with it. In fact, if we somehow got into a situation where we had to sleep in the same queen/king sized bed (like if we went on a trip as a group and stayed in a hotel), then I still wouldn't mind sleeping in the same bed, as long as he didn't try anything.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly wouldn't care. It doesn't make any kind of difference, so I don't see the benefit or downside of him telling me or not telling me :slight_smile:

7. FishMan27

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think it would be cool to know if anyone was gay just to know that there are others out there! lol Obviously it wouldn't matter. I wouldn't want my roommate (this is hypothetical right now because I'm not in college yet) to come out before they were comfortable, but I would like to know. :icon_bigg

8. itsjoanna

I don't really care. It would be nice to know if they are gay, but it's just whatever. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. HatterMad

I dind't vote...right away I thought: only if he wanted me to no. I wouldn't press for it, but if I thought he was I'd make sure he knew I was cool with it and jest leave it at that.

10. Olivier

Yes!!! And if his hot u can live with a hot gay guy!! <3 the dream

11. Jonathan

My roommate's sexuality would be really none of my business. If he's not straight and feels like he wants to tell me, that's great. If he doesn't, oh well. Honestly, I don't think that the other roommate can say that they have the *right* to know something that private and intimate about the person.

12. Amicus

I don't think a roommate is different than any other person in regards to coming out, i.e. it's up to the individual person whether or not they tell someone else about their sexuality. I can't think of any reason why I would need to know what my roommate's sexual orientation is.

13. aeva

I think that as members of the LGBT community, we're all probably a bit biased...

Like pretty much everybody else who posted, I'd want to know (just for the sake of common ground), but I wouldn't pressure them into outing themselves if they were obviously uncomfortable. I'm very open about my sexuality, so I'd probably mention it even before we moved in together, and I would hope that would open the door for them to come out to me. Hopefully, if they were questioning their sexuality, they would feel comfortable enough to voice their thoughts and feelings to me so that I could offer advice and support.

14. Alexander69

If he was sexy then I'd want to know! we would only need 1 bed :wink:

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I agree, it's always better if you know a persons sexual orientation, but they should come out when they're ready of course.

16. next year ill be living in a shared house hopefully but i dont plan on telling my housemates my sexuality, if they find out because i have a gf then fine but i wont tell them, it really is none of their business. if they ask then i will say but otherwise they can keep their nose out my business like i would theres :slight_smile:

but no i wouldnt want to know (unless they wanted me to know) if my roommate was gay, its none of my business.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As with Flyinhernikes, I'm gonna be going into an apartment, next year, so that gives me the chance of finding someone who I can be with this year, so that we can basically do anything we want together next year.

But if I didn't know beforehand, it'd still be nice if they did come out to me, for many reasons.

18. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i wouldn't want to know and i wouldn't not want to know, it's a non issue. No answer for me.

Actually the only reason i might want to know - purely for selfish reasons - was if i developed a bit of a crush on him/her, but with room-mates that can become a really sticky situation! You don't want to shit in your own nest.

19. Lewis

No, it's non of my business at all. If he/she wanted to tell me, that's their decision. I agree with those saying the only reason they'd want to know is if I had a crush on them.

20. spectrumsigner

A better way to phrase this question is, "Do you feel it is your right to know?"