1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think being LGBT has changed how you see the world / other people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Oct 22, 2012.

?

Do you think being LGBT has changed your view on things?

1. Yes

44 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Maybe a little.

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. TheUndiscovered

For me being gay has sort of opened my eyes to things. I feel like if I were straight I wouldn't be as open minded, I feel like I would judge people more on being different. Being apart of that hated minority has caused me to sit back and realize that just because everyone thinks one way doesn't make it right. If I were straight, I think I'd be just as homophobic as my friends.

2. Bree

I think it's made me more informed and more likely to be politically active. I don't think it's made me more accepting in general.

3. Pain

Pain Guest

Yes. It was mostly the acceptance process that did it; I grew up always thinking that being gay was sinful and wrong, and.... yup. That's changed. I've been happier and much more optimistic since I came out an accepted myself as well.

As for other people, I know some of them whom I've changed, for certain; a friend of mine told me that another friend actually told him before I did, and said that in truth, he was weirded out at first, and kinda scared around me, but when I told him myself was months after that, and in that time, he saw that I was the same exact person. Just that I've seemed happier... He's the only one to have mentioned a change of heart to me.

4. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I think it has totally opened my mind. I'm still in the process of accepting that I'm gay but I was always told that being gay was wrong or people who are gay go to hell.

Realizing that I'm gay has changed my view on a lot of issues and topics around the world. I'm more aware of LGBT issues now than I was and I can relate to LGBT people a lot more now that I've realized that I'm a gay person as well.

5. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Of course, and a freaking lot.

6. putresVigil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me it definitely has, though I was a late comer.

I was never close minded or a bigot, but I was ignorant to the power words had before. To the misery that not acting could cause. I began to realize I wasn't straight when I found myself fantasizing about a guy I think I had a crush on over ten years ago. He was a sweetheart, feminine, with a gentle nature. He always ended up getting his eye blackened every other week, bullied all the time. Never retained hate for those who hurt him, always positive I had wanted to cling to him and reassure him but never did - I avoided him because I was worried what friends would say if I had gone to his aid.

As I began realizing what I really was and the shadow came to the surface, I started looking into reconciling my faith with my homosexual/bisexual leanings. I started discovering just how hurtful well meaning comments tended to be. I began to realize that things like "hate the sin, not the sinner" and "women can already vote and have jobs; isn't that enough?" could be harmful because I was directly confronted with people who made assumptions on my behalf.

Revelations that I felt romantic inclinations towards other men in my words and my drawings were met with assumptions that all I really wanted was just to have sex with them, to spread disease and feces everywhere, and other rather disturbing things from the mouths of people I once called my friends and family. I would correct, explain how I rarely think about sex and how my fantasies went to thoughts of cuddling up to someone, talking, nuzzling their ear - you know, softer stuff - only to be rebuked and corrected, accused of lying to cover my filthy, debauched thoughts. I was pretty upset. Sad, maybe mad a bit. Ashamed.

Not really of what I had become but because it was a fitting outcome for my own cowardice in the past. I had never actively hated homosexuals and never considered it a choice myself but remained silent when others did say such things. Complacency in the face of evil is still evil. Men are only as good as the company they keep. The isolation and anxiety are retribution, I suppose. Penance.

Makes me feel weary just typing it out. Sorry for the wordy post.

TLDR: I think I now better understand what it means to be a member of a non-privileged class if only slightly, and am now much more aware of how my words (or lack of words) might impact a situation. I have branched into feminism, as well as other civil rights issues in order to better understand the complex world that seem to lay just beneath my notice before.

7. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

Yes, its taught me how things aren't only in black and white.

8. Rachyl

Rachyl Guest

Oh, Yes in ways that I cannot seem to explain It has. I spent a couple hours last night reading up on stonewall riots. WOW. I see a whole new world that I never even noticed before

9. SkyDiver

100% yes.

I thank God for making me this way.

I'd be just another bigoted homophobe if I wasn't gay!

10. SheWhoHasNoName

Yes! Being a lesbian has opened my mind so much. I wouldn't be so accepting of all the different minorities if I wasn't a minority myself.

11. I would say I'm more liberal now. I was way more religious back then too.

12. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeah I guess, hiding who I am, and seeing homophobic comments etc, has influenced my view on society. Being discriminated against not just on homosexuality, has made me more opened minded.

13. Colton

To be honest, yes. It made me question people a lot more than I maybe should, but led me to think more about things beyond just being different.

14. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've always considered myself pretty open minded and I've always hated those crazy religious folk. Realizing I was bi just made me realize how crazy they can be.

15. jaysuss

It does not change my opinion in any way. My parents are good people in my mind. They raised me and my other siblings to believe in complete equality, but at the same time to question everything you learn to make sure you get the right take on it. They have taught me to accept everyone for who they are and support them. Me being gay is just a benefit.

16. Doctor Faustus

Yes! It's made me realise how much bigotry exists in the world... And how much hope we have in spite of it. :slight_smile:

17. Brenny

I'm a bit more accepting of others. But in general I think I have learned a lot about sympathy and understanding for others. I try to look below the surface with the people I know. That was something I never did when I was younger. In some ways, I am glad for the pain I have felt because it has opened my eyes in ways that I don't think I would have ever seen otherwise.

18. needshelp

yes and no. i would say that i was for the most part, an open minded person as it is as other people sort of perceive me as weird or different. i'm black so the whole idea of being in a disadvantaged group in society is nothing new to me. i was closed minded on certain things but i don't think that had anything to do with my sexual orientation though. accepting my orientation helped me overcome my fear of trying or getting into certain things that i wanted to always do because i was afraid how other people would perceive. when i come out fully, i think that that would be my key to being completely liberated to doing whatever i want to do without caring about what anybody says. that's about it. i can do the things that i always wanted to do but banned myself from doing.

19. The Queen Bee

Overall I'm very open minded.
    And being gay it's not all I am...
    Nonetheless I think being part of a minority helps you understand others in a way you wouldn't be able if it was otherwise.
    How can you understand how frustrating some situations are if you're mainstream and never been in the other end of the rope.

Not only that; but being a vegetarian, an atheist, having OCD, woman allows me to see things others don't.
    Most people I know want so badly to imitate mainstream culture. In all honesty I think they're missing the cool shit in life. :grin:

20. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I've started to be "gayer," wearing such things as purple shirts. I guess I feel more comfortable?…maybe?