1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Propose or be proposed to?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lance, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So if you think you've found "the one," would you want to be the one to propose or be the one who is proposed to?

I used to want to be the one to get proposed to, but since I've matured, the idea of planning it out, buying the ring, and eventually telling the guy that he's the person I want to spend my life with is really appealing to me.

Feel free to tell your perfect scenario if you have one. :wink:

2. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, i always thought i would be proposed to, but a few days ago I actually proposed to my partner.

3. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations, that's wonderful! How did it go?

4. Brenny

Hmm I don't know. Either I suppose. I think I'd want to be proposed to.

5. Ruthven

I don't know for sure..they're both almost equally appealing. I'm kinda leaning towards doing the proposing. Though I think it'll all depend on the type/personality of the other person.

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd like to be the one that proposes. Though I wouldn't complain either if my partner did.
    (In a few years, that is)

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

This. I think I have a slight preference to be proposed to, but would be happy to propose to my significant other.

8. Alexander69

I'm not interested in getting married. As much as I love being gay I would feel guilty for getting married to another man. :/ that sounds bad but..... Idk my mind may change with time my family is religious so I've just been forced to believe its not appropriate. As much as I love men I still feel guilty for my feelings towards other men :frowning2: so sad that I feel this way

9. MichaelB

I'm completely against marriage in the first place, hetrosexual or homosexual.

So neither. I'd be seriously surprised if my future includes marriage of any kind. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Crassus

Crassus Guest

I've never really liked the idea of someone proposing in a big romantic way, because I feel that it puts their partner on the spot. When people plan out big elaborate proposals, I think they are being unfair, not romantic. They supposedly were thinking about marriage for quiet a while before proposing; they should allow their partner the same amount of time to think about it before coming to a decision. Marriage is a big decision and is something that should be discussed by both people involved. Because of this, I would like to be the one to propose, but I would present it in a way that says "I would like us to start talking about this because I love you and could see myself spending my life with you. Let's weigh the pros and cons" instead of just asking a yes or no question like, "Will you marry me?"

11. King

King Guest

I think I'd rather be the one who gets proposed to, but in reality I'd be running the show - I'd be the one saying, "I want to get married!" but I'd also be deciding what rings we'd wear and how I'd be proposed to, which would be very personal and casual. Something simple. :slight_smile:

Though, if the situation calls for it, I suppose I could be the one proposing. Who knows!

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Either, really. I'd be reluctant to suggest it if I thought there was a decent-to-god chance he'd say no, but otherwise, I'd ask. And if he asks first, that's all good, too.

Lex

13. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd like to think that I'd be the one to do the proposing.

14. livinglifefree

I couldn't agree more. I, however, would like to be the one to be proposed to. I always imagined it as something private and romantic with just the two of us. I am not a fan of huge displays. I think it is more romantic to speak from your heart privately to your partner. My girlfriend and I frequently talk about marriage and we have no intention of getting married for several years so it wouldn't really be a shock to either of us if one of us proposed a few years down the road.

15. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I would want to propose and I love the romantic gestures. Even if the person would rather keep it private, it can still be well thought out and planned. The proposal is about the person you are proposing to so it should be catered to them.

16. Kairez

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In all my relationships, I've been the driving force behind them… I've grown used to the idea that, if the time ever came, I would likely be the one to propose. However, at the end of the day, I could be perfectly happy with either of the roads that lead to our union, be it he or I who makes the gesture.

Now, the wedding itself… THAT'S a different story for a different thread. :wink:

17. MixedNutz

I was told I'm to do the proposing because its completely out of character for me

18. Gallatin

I'd rather do the proposing, though I'd be fine if it was the other way around.

19. AshenAngel

AshenAngel Guest

I think it depends on who I end up with, and our dynamic. Every couple is different and I'm sure that these sort of things work themselves out when the time is right.

20. Gen

Gen

I would much rather be proposed too. Me proposing to someone, although probably very cute and hilarious, would be incrediby weird and awkward, and just wrong. I wouldnt even make it the knee, it would be more of a fumble.

Not to mention, he will definitely be taller than me. I am 5-5. I would have to kneel on a stool.