1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People saying significant other instead of boyfriend/girlfriend

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jared, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Jared

So what you all think when someone you are out to talks about your future boyfriend/girlfriend as a significant other and not boyfriend/girlfriend? This mostly applies to gays and lesbians.

It kind of upsets me, it's like "I'm gay, we both know it, I will have a boyfriend someday. Come you can say boyfriend instead of signicant other." To me it's really awkward when someone feels the need to beat around the bush. Some of my friends do it and its kinda werid. My counselor does it too and it's rather annoying, I feel like the gender neutrality is more for people who are questioning or bi/pan or if you're unsure and don't want to assume they're straight. It's almost like they're afraid to admit that a gay guy will have a boyfriend at some point.

Ok end mini rant.

2. jaysuss

I think they say it as significant other because they themselves are not yet proud of who they are. So if you are a gay guy and you say that it sounds neutral and makes it easier for you to accept yourself. I just think it is a way to lie to yourself to make it seem more natural to you.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I have seen it out of straight allies, actually. For a while, there was this woman I thought was gay for the longest time, because she'd keep referring to her "partner." As it turned out, her partner was male.

But ya, I think it's kind of in poor taste. I wouldn't call it a dealbreaker, but I'd refer to my boyfriend as my boyfriend.

4. Brenny

I think that is just a person's own issue. If they talk like that, it can be awkward but I guess I do it too sometimes but more out of habit and not being fully open yet. Baby steps. My friend is bi so we don't exactly specify because you never know. If I am with people that I don't feel comfortable being open to, I just avoid talking about dating so I don't sound stupid using vague terms. I'd rather say it openly or just not say anything.

5. Bree

I don't mind partner, but I find "significant other" sounds like a euphemism. Having a boyfriend or girlfriend is a GOOD thing. Why do we need a euphemism?

6. Neutrality

I'm ok with it if you are using it to speak to a group, like giving a speech or something, but if you are talking directly to me I prefer boyfriend or husband...I'm not gonna like flip out of someone for saying it though.

7. Gen

Gen

Well we also have to consider that "significant other" was popularized by heterosexuals. It is essentially used by older people who do not feel comfortable with the terms boyfriend/girlfriend. Which is understandable considering the stereotype and youthfulness of those titles. Not to mention, even for children it can be a little awkward to talk to you peers about your moms "boyfriend". So work-around terms such as significant other are often used.

Its no different that children often refering to their parents non-married partners, as "their friend". Its a response to the negative connotations put on parents having future partners, outside of their original marriage. So no it doesnt bother me.

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It doesn't actually bother me if it makes people more comfortable. It sounds kinda awkward to me though lol I prefer partner or girlfriend.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there are worse ones. In the 70s and 80s, the term was "lover" which I think is beyond tacky. "Hi, I'm Bill, and this is my lover, George."

Most of the people I know say "my partner" if it's a long-term relationship.

10. aeva

I like when people use it when they are speaking to a group of people, or if they are unsure of the orientation of the person they are speaking to. It shows that they acknowledge the possibility of them being attracted to any gender, and aren't making assumptions.

If I am speaking to somebody to whom I am out, I would prefer they use the proper term though (girlfriend).

11. redstormrising

i used to dislike the term "partner," but now that i've been in a relationship for a while and we plan to marry and settle down together, calling her my "girlfriend" seems kind of . . . temporary and juvenile, like it doesn't properly convey her true importance in my life. significant other is okay, but it's just a mouthful. i also use "my other half"

12. Crassus

Crassus Guest

I agree with this completely. I don't think using the term "partner" is a sign that that someone is ashamed of their orientation; I see it as an indication that they are in a more committed relationship. "Significant other," on the other hand, does sound a bit old fashioned to me.

13. Lessard

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm bi and I don't like the term significant other ether. Sure we go for both but I'd rather they say girl friend or boy friend (both) then significant other. It just sounds weird..

14. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I've heard straight people say significant other. I don't really care, it's just a word. Call him your boyfriend, your significant other, your partner, your special amigo, your partner in marshmallow roasting. It doesn't matter.

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe this is mostly a "girl thing," but I prefer significant other to "girlfriend/boyfriend" because I prefer to say a friend of mine is my "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" rather than "a friend of mine that happens to be a boy."

I also like the gender neutrality of it, but that above part is another quirky justification of mine.

16. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Because some people (I;m not one of them) feel boy/girlfriend sounds to teeny/highschool like.

17. shadytree

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I don't like it. I think that it casts a negative light upon whatever your sexual preference may be. It is annoyingly ambiguous at best. It is downright offensive as it appears to try to hide the truth. As a straight guy, when I hear people use these euphemism when talking to me I can't help wondering if they are really saying that I am an obvious ignorant bigot. And I lack the social maturity or decency to respect the choices they have made for themselves. I feel like I am being judged unfairly in those situations. I have a friend in London who is also straight and he refers to his wife is his partner. I don't know what that's about too and it's not worth asking him but I find it odd.

18. Gipsy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can understand if someone that doesn't want to lie but is still in the closet prefers to use that term, but it is kind of strange if a straight person uses it (in my opinion) since the world was raised to see heterosexuality as the only normality soo..why not just spill the beans?

19. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think in a lot of cases people don't really know WHAT term to use. Including me! "Lover" sounds very dated and overdramatic. "Partner" seems OK to me, but a little cold and businesslike. And as I start rappelling down from the 50 mark, "boyfriend" is going to feel more and more klutzy as time goes by (unless I manage somehow to snag someone much younger, in which case boyTOY is probably more accurate!). I don't have a problem with "husband" if the relationship has gotten to that point, but I'm not sure at this point that I want to have, or be, a "husband". I guess I would be OK with "significant other", maybe spoken a little tongue-in-cheek? I suppose it depends on the audience, the participants and the delivery.

20. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I've used it once or twice. I use it in conjunction with "boyfriend" and "partner". Whatever comes out of my mouth is whatever I think of using first..