1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "Gay" Challenge

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by darlig ulv, Oct 23, 2012.

1. darlig ulv

One thing I hear way too often is "gay" as a derogatory term. I hear it on the bus dozens of times, during lunch, in between classes, basically, all the time. This is a big problem that adults overlook and to show them, I've created a challenge for the exceptionally bored: carry around a pad of paper and a small pen or pencil, and every time you hear "gay" or "fag" or "homo" or "fruit" or "dyke" or any other term that I didn't mention throughout the course of the day, make a tally mark. Count up the total and post below. Have fun :dry:

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2012 at 12:25 AM ----------

*Comma between mention and throughout*

2. Ticklish Fish

it's probably just High school, lol. I am in college and don't hear that a lot when I eavesdrop.

3. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I hear those words too much to count even outside of school, to people who know I'm gay and aren't using them as a insult to gay people.

4. Alan Lewrie

I guess I've been desensitised to "gay," unless used as a blatant attack on a LGBT person or the group as a whole I don't mind it so much. I've even been guilty of using it myself, though very very rarely. Fag, and faggot get to me though, there just isn't any reason to use it, it has no secondary meaning in the US. Were I in the UK, I might ask my fag for a fag. I've also heard it used as a term of endearment between same sex couples. While odd, I don't have a problem with this.

5. J Snow

This isn't a bad idea. I definitely don't hear it nearly as often as I did in high school, but its still pretty common. Honestly the people I hear it the most from are my roommates and other friends. Including my friend I've known since we were like 2 that always insists on telling me how things are "gay as AIDS."