1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to New York

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Geist, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok so i just found out a little while ago that my Aunt and Uncle are going to be taking me and my brother to New York City for a week this summer. (!) They are also going to let me and my brother pick out what we will be doing and where we will be going. I really don't know much about New York and i was wondering if anyone here could fill me in on some of the places that i should try to go.

2. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

YAY! UR COMING TO NY! Well Ny is awesome no matter where you go! The first thing i thought while I was reading was Coney Island you can google it its a really...ok-ish place but yeah the city is cool lol....NY! =]

3. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What sort of things do you like to do? Of course, seeing a broadway show is a must, but do you want to do the touristy things or immerse yourself in the culture? There are two very different sides to the city, so you'll want to think about that...

As for me, this is what I'd recommend doing on a first time visit:

-Top of the Rock (at night, definitely)
    -See a show (or two!) I would recommend In the Heights, which will be there this summer. It'd be an original broadway cast for one of the most talked about upcoming shows. I'm going in June and can't wait. :slight_smile:
    -Make sure you don't spend all of your time in midtown. Visit Central Park, the Upper West/East Side, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Little Italy, Downtown, etc. It's easy to get stuck in Midtown (the most toursity district) the whole time, which only gives you one of the many flavors that is Manhattan. Manhattan is huge, so get some maps and familiarize yourself with the different districts beforehand, so that you can hit different places.
    -Ground Zero
    -"shopping" on 5th avenue (it's super expensive, so I just walk through the stores)
    -if you like art, check out the Metropolitan Museum of Art (ahhhhmazing)
    -get REAL NYC pizza. Famous Joe's is really good.
    -make sure you ride the subway at least once, although you'll probably have to use it a lot
    -just walking the streets is amazing

If you want, you can PM me. I'm up there all the time and will most likely be up there for school next year, so I can point out some other places. NYC is the most amazing place in the world, IMO, so make sure you get to know it! It's beautiful! (Also, it's extremely gay friendly, so it's not uncommon to see two guys walking down the street holding hands. It feels SO GOOD to be in that environment!)

#3 trumpetkid23, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  4. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

You can PM me too just tell us what you're into and we can help more. I live in NY so I'm here all the time lol. Hmm.....there was a sony museum that i really liked that i went to when i was younger. You may want to ride the ferry.And umm there's just a lot in NY lol MOMA ...a lot of other things. China town is way too crowded >< i can't stand it.

5. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Definitly get pizza because when I go to other places, the only thing I ever miss about home is the pizza, its the best. You have to have some of that.

6. 24601

I love NYC, I was just up there today visiting Columbia University. It's a great place - hope you have fun.

7. domus

domus Guest

Go on the bridges as well! And get out of Manhattan too (there's four other more boroughs to explore!). I live and go to school in Brooklyn and if you really want to see what New York city was like a while ago, go to downtown Brooklyn (Get off at Borough Hall and just walk around). Coney Island is also in Brooklyn. But really, go on the bridges. The views are amazing and the wind is refreshing on a hot summer day. There are a lot of Museums everywhere so look them up before you come and choose the one that you like. My personal favorite is the Museum of Natural History. Staten Island is pretty residential and I've only driven through it. Queens has nice views of Manhattan, lol. Never really been to the Bronx but it's sort of a mix of industrial and residential. Have fun!

8. Bryan

Way cool! I used to be from the area, so I know it pretty well.
    a few tips and places:
    1. Don't Go to Staten Island and the Bronx, there really isnt anything to do there (except the Bronx Zoo.
    2. Queens has Astoria, good for greek food, and you can go see a Baseball game there if you are interested
    3. Brooklyn has coney Island, which is kinda cool, you have to go there atleast once in your life
    4. everything else is in manhattan:
    -Broadway; go and see a few shows, but dont spend all of your time in times square, it is a busy tourist trap
    -Ellis Island- particularly if you had family that wen through there, it is really interesting
    -If you are in to trendy art and clothing: Soho, Grenich Village area
    -Art: MOMA is totally worth it, and if you like older art, the MET is amazing
    -Science: If this is your cup of tea, go to the Museum of Natural History on the Upper West Side, it is really cool
    -Shopping- NYC has THE best shopping, I would recommend starting at Central Park South & 5th Ave. (Where the Plaza used to be) and walking all the way (South) down 5th until you get bored, or reach the 30's. Also, if you are a bargain hunter take the 4/5/6 train town to Canal street.
    -The UN (located at 1st and around 44th) is really cool.
    -Food: The food there is the best. For breakfast I recommend Ess-a Bagel at 51st and 3rd.

Basically I know New York really well, from a Local and a Tourists perspective, so PM me with any questions about specifics, I would be happy to help:icon_bigg

9. Bryan

PS- Don't be afraid to take the Subway, it is really easy, and ALOT cheaper than cabs. When you get there, just get an unlimited Metrocard for the week.

10. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

Bryan's right. I live in Staten Island, it's really boring not worth wasting time here, just pretend it doesnt exist

11. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, yes, definitely check out the UN.

12. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I don't suggest that. I grew up in Jersey and went on like twenty fieldtrips there....it sucks. I suggest Canal Street. Really though, to be honest, make sure you just spend one day walking around, it'll allow you to really experience the city. Hope that helps!

13. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

Come to queens! =] Lets see what does Queens have.....lol We just rock! So yeah

14. Wired106

Omg lucky! The first places I would hit up are the malls in NY! That's like the best thing about NY lol. I'm taking a trip to Germany and the Czech this spring break, and I'm definately going to check out their shops down there lol. I like shopping btw id you didn't know lol :slight_smile:

15. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the UN is a lot eaiser to appreciate when it's not shoved down your throat. I know what you mean though. There's a museum here that we went on a thousand field trips to and now I hate it. But I think if you've never been, it's good to check out. When you think of the incredible things that go on there. It makes me shiver almost. So incredible.