1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are gays/lesbians/bisexuals often artistic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tapsilog2012, Oct 24, 2012.

1. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

So I can't help but notice how many gay/bi people are artists. I am as well.

For me, art was always a way to express myself without words, because I didnt feel accepted. Even before I knew I was gay, I just "never fit in".

Do you think that the discrimination gays face forces them to become creative?

Or any other theories about this correlation?

2. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is just personal opinion, but I think it may have something to do with the isolation we experience when we're in the closet and dealing with our secret alone. When we have all that time alone for introspection, we naturally get creative to express ourselves in private.

3. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Physiologically speaking, the brains of homosexual men are often closer to women than heterosexual men. And women tend to be more artistic.

4. Gen

Gen

Well, we are a minority. With that, even though many of us may not be outwardly talent, those who are will stand out amongst the "majorities".

Similar to the "All gay men are attractive stereotype". It isnt that we all actually care about our bodies more, but we are a minority, so it appears as more. Everything is always more potent statistically in minority groups.

5. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I'm gay, but I'm not artistic by any stretch of the imagination. I think maybe its just another stereotype?

6. Catkin

Intesting thread.
    Before I found EC the only way I had to record what I was feeling was through art. Personally it helped to give my thoughts a concrete form, but in a way that no outsider would be able to understand. Its funny really, its only since I joined EC that I've let myself question my sexuality, but when I look back over my sketchbooks I find questioning pictures from three years ago, worries about my sexuality that I had made myself forget. It's weird. I let myself think about maybe liking girls for just long enough to draw a picture, then forgot it again. A more cryptic form of a diary I suppose.

7. Jonathan

Hmm...if this is the case, then I am in the minority once again lol . I have absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Level75

It's probably a stereotype. But I can see where it's coming from. I take it the same as why I believe it seems as though gay men like pop music more than most men.

Gay men probably aren't any more predisposed to liking it than straight men. But they (the "out" ones anyway) are probably more likely to admit they like it. Or even more likely to even give themselves a chance to like it.

In high school, I wanted to take a variety of electives just for the experience. I took art courses. I took debate courses. I took language courses. I took woodworking courses. When I was in woodworking courses, the majority of my classmates were alpha male types. I know it sounds cliche, but that's what it was. And these types of guys simply did not take art courses.

To be into things like Art, you really have to be a person who is unafraid to admit you like something "girly". And gay guys are just less likely to have hangups about "girly" things. In our school, the art teacher was so stereotypical gay there just wasn't a question if you were to meet him. So people in those courses needed to have a good rapport with this gay teacher. Again, I believe gay people would have less hangups than the general population about taking a class with an openly gay teacher.

Gay or straight, people in art classes are just nicer. Gay guys are probably less likely to have hangups about girly things. But straight people who take it also have that quality of being comfortable about themselves enough to not be threatened by differences in others. So yeah...art people are just nicer.

9. Colton

Stereotype
    [​IMG]

^ That's how I draw.

10. Level75

That's Animorphs, isn't it.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I like to think of myself as artistic, though I rarely draw much these days since creative talent or not the fact I am a shamelessly lazy f*ck remains. I don't feel it has a whole lot to do with my sexual orientation though. The "stereotype" if you want to call it that likely spawned off artists and LGBT's having been viewed from both inside and out as sharing characteristics like sensitivity, self expression through non traditional means and other stuff like that. Of course it can't be applied to every single artist and LGBT~

12. jaysuss

ME TO! I love art but I have no talent in it.

13. Brenny

I'm not super talented but I did various forms of art classes for years and spent a lot of time writing too. For me personally, I never liked sports so art was better for me. I never was super expressive but through art, I could and I could do it with other people and connect that way. I just find it a way to express my feelings when I don't know how else, especially in writing when I can't speak.

I do think gays tend to be more artistic. Or maybe we just tend to turn to art for some reason. Maybe it is an introspective thing?

14. IllusiveRannoch

i used to draw planes and ships, as well as build models. not much sketching now, but i'm working on getting back into it.

---------- Post added 24th Oct 2012 at 08:21 PM ----------

speaking of emotionally motivated art, i tried not making anything so obvious that if/when others found it, they would start questioning me. But now, i'm really wanting to draw reflectively now.

15. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I mean any kind of art: visual, music, dance, acting, writing, fashion design, filmmaking, even culinary art!

I guess I just meant "creativity" in general. To me having creative pursuits has SAVED my life, without a doubt.

16. The Queen Bee

Honestly I think that's just a esterotype.
    I'm not particularly artistic but I can somewhat draw.

That said I think it's easier to be out in a artistic environment given that artistic people are more accepting versus being a guy openly gay in construction or the sort.
    Same with environment, veganism related groups... They are more accepting. That doesn't mean all lesbians are vegetarians. Sure, I am... but, that doesn't mean ALL of us are.
    Some groups are easier to be part of while being openly gay.

And, no. I don't agree that it has to do with the pain we have to deal because we're gay. Not all of had a bad coming in or out. I agree that it helps some people to put their emotions on paper; but some of us don't work that way DESPITE the fact we could produce art.
    I haven't produced ANYTHING artistic-wise since highschool... and I came out on my early 20's.

#16 The Queen Bee, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  17. I don't consider myself to be a artistic person and many straight people are artistic
    this has nothing to do with sexuality.

18. Ticklish Fish

LOL, I like drawing before I found out I like guys

19. Greendalehumans

It could just be that in the art community gay people are more excepted. And since they feel more comfortable coming out, gay artists do so more often?
    So gay people aren't usually artists, but gay people who are artists come out more often than the gay people who are not.

Artists tend to be more open minded people. Not to mention that artisticness is a common stereotype for gay men, so it's already assumed for a lot of people.

I'm rambling, but that's all :slight_smile:
    If this idea's already been mentioned, forgive me. I'm exhausted and I haven't read all of the posts here yet.

20. Minamimoto_Fan

I'm an okay artist (can't do anything other than manga...) however I am very talented vocally. I'm in my schools chamber choir and my range can go from bass 2 to tenor 2. Hoever I'm stuck on the bottom of the scale 'cause I can hit extremely low notes

As for why? I have no idea, probably just a coincidence