1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"The Gays"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greendalehumans, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Greendalehumans

I wish people would stop saying "gays want this" or "gays do this" or "The Gays..."

Gay people aren't a group, not really. They are just people who happen to like the same sex. Liberals are a group. Democrats are a group. Christians are a group. Lots of things are groups. Gay people are just people.
    We can be a part of a group, sure. But being homosexual doesn't automatically make us agree with each other or all want the same thing.

Does this bother anyone one else, or am I the only one?

2. Alexander69

It bothers me

3. FollowtheFreeman

"The Gays"

That sounds like the title to a 1950's black and white b-movie horror film.

4. Greendalehumans

Hahahaha! It probably would have been, back then.

5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ Except it would've been called "The Homosexuals" and been a public-service announcement.

6. Bolin

When Tyra Banks had her show, whenever she had LGBT guests or themes on her show, she'd always say "Tyra loves the gays, and the gays love Tyra."

That bothered me. I don't like it when someone tries to throw me in some category like I'm a herded animal on a farm. I'm me. My sexuality, race, beliefs...those are things that I'm made of, not what I am.

7. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate it. Especially since i never find it personally applicable. It's like 'the gays love ____' and I'm always like 'I don't... I know many gay people who do not'

8. Brenny

Sometimes it gets to me but I try to remember that it is just human nature to group things and stereotype things. And probably most of us do the same thing for other groups. I think the only thing that makes our case different is that more often when people do that about gays it is meant to be deragatory. There is a lot of ignorance out there. Some days I just feel done with straight people but the issue is really a cultural one. They grew up thinking that way and need education.

Okay I'm done arguing for them. I won't lie, yesterday, I was in a "I hate straights" mood because of the things several said to me. But then that one not-ignorant friend you have comes along and makes it all better (well mostly).

9. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    someone needs to make that

OT: anyone who says 'The Gays' is pretty stupid

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think it depends on who says it and why.

There are a lot of people like Kathy Griffin that can completely pull it off. They know their shit, she knows its just for fun and its not a moron. And there is also the fact that a large portion of her audience is gay.

As long as people that are saying it know its a joke and its not said as a negative, then I'm fine with it really.

11. aeva

Yeah, saying 'the gay community' is very different from saying 'the gays' or 'the homosexuals'.

Definitely sounds weird to me too.

12. Lewis

Hate it too. I also hate 'gay community', we as a human race are one as a community. I hate anything that symbolises us and makes us look like a charity. Stick your rainbow flag where the sun don't shine!

13. DryOasis

DryOasis Guest

I don't like it either.

14. wandering i

If used in earnest it's offensive and asinine but my friends and I will throw it around for a laugh, as in "I looked at that and now I have The Gay" or "It's time, The Gays have come for me", making fun of the horror-movie feel of the term for something totally harmless that we love.

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

It's the same ignorant nonsense as the 'gay agenda/movement/maffia/lifestyle'.
    Mostly used by fearful people who have no idea what they're talking about.

16. sguyc

I say "the gays" sometimes. Like if I am referring to where all "the gays" will be on a saturday night (a certain bar). I don't see it as wrong, but it makes more sense to me because the gay community around me is smaller and acts fairly cohesively. I couldn't generalize the same in a large city I suppose.

17. Dayon

Dayon Guest

It doesn't bother me but I do think it's a force of habit and a way of thinking for some people unfortunately. Life in general is full of criticism and you just have to roll with the punches. To me that's such a small thing to be pissed and/or mad about. Let it go and move on, Be glad you're being talked about whether it be negatively or positively.

18. Suffocation

it bothers me a lot. just like when you read those yahoo stories "blah blah blah admits he is gay". i dont understand what i am admitting to, i didn't commit any crime.