1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid LDS dating Rule

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jaysuss, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jaysuss

I am not bagging on the full religion or anything but they have some pretty stupid rules. My most hated one is that you can't date until your 16. How am I supposed to discern those who are gay from those who are not when they can't date anyway. Makes things impossible and boring.

2. Mogget

Well, since they aren't allowed to date people of the same sex period, I don't see why it's important for you to know.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really hope that the internal pressure of progressive forces in your church win out soon, because from what I've read, they make it pretty unsafe and depressing to be gay.

I'd go ahead and ignore the rule. It's not like they accept gay people anyway.

4. Caudex

Caudex Guest

While I don't agree with their grossly stupid decisions regarding homosexuality, I'm going to have to agree with them on the 16 rule. I'm 17, and I don't think I'm ready to date. I personally want to wait until I'm at least 18 until intercourse, a sentiment effected partially by my religious upbringing, but mostly by my relative immaturity. I know that many 13 and 14 year old couples have sex nowadays, and I don't think that's wise. If they want to, I won't stop them, but the fact is that your mind is not "ready" until about 16 on average.

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe not wise, but I think it's even more problematic for us as a society to say they can't. Now age differentials and 13/14 year olds, yes, that's problematic, but not as much between people that age. And no, I don't really think the 16 rule is a good one either. It's putting an arbitrary number on sexual agency.

6. Pyrotactick

...Bleh, I don't know. I guess you can't date, but you can get sort of close. More like really close friends. It helps! Then you can step it up sometimes if you want to.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also, if your plan is to date within the LDS church, how are you going to find other gay men? Won't they be hiding? (I don't mean that to be rude, and if it was, please tell me. I am just genuinely curious.)

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dated a mormon girl when she was 15. I was 17. It wasn't actually a 'date' though, we just went bowling and chatted. Hand holding was out, but we did kiss on the cheek once.

I guess she was breaking the rules! But nothing came of it.

9. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've known a couple of LDS friends who broke the +16 rule. And I think since you're gay anyway, you shouldn't even bother following that rule. Plus, I agree with Pret. Don't look for guys in the LDS church, look for others that aren't in the religion (although I'd imagine it might be hard considering you're in Utah).

Just to add to this, half of my LDS friends became disillusioned with the church because of its restrictions on them. My best friend was LDS until the church kicked her out because she wasn't devoting enough time going to the services. But that was only because she was trying to balance school and sports at the same time. To this day, she hasn't gone back since.

10. jaysuss

I never followed that rule because I am not LDS and also because I think it is stupid. I just wish they saw it the same way!