1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended life! Yay or nae?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TheUndiscovered, Oct 26, 2012.

1. TheUndiscovered

So, scientists are working on extending life. There is gene that they have singled out in some animals that has allowed them to live twice the length they normally would and people are now trying to incorporate something to essentially repair and clean our bodies over time to sort of drastically slow down the aging process. This may not be something that will happen any time soon but the scientists are saying it will happen in 20 years. I don't necessarily believe that but I wanted to know your opinions on extended life.

2. you

you

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's a good idea, but first we'd have to drastically slow down the world's birth rate for a while. Also, I'd rather not live in feeble health, so if I were to live longer I'd also want to age slower.

3. Ticklish Fish

But if people live longer and younger, they would want more sex... thus more babies?!

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

They've been working on this for a very long time haven't they?? Anyway I read that Telomerase repairs and extends your DNA strand or something similar to that.

But I don't know if I want to live that long to be honest.

5. Ticklish Fish

as far as i know, the endings of our genes is a bunch of repetition code, but they decrease gradually as we get old.... so eventually it might affect genes that have functions in our body.

but what's the point to live longer? people are assholes.

6. TheUndiscovered

It's kind of complex if you think about it. What makes you you? Human life has always been centered around living now in the moment because life is short and you never know what will happen but this will change everything. If you can live to 500 then people might slow down and become lazy. Not to mention sex. The longevity of youthfulness will create more babies and with a population that doesn't age quickly we might fill up too quick. Would we have to start regulating births? There's a lot of questions to these kind of things, I think.

7. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When my time comes, I am going. I would rather die slightly younger knowing that I have lived a happy, fulfilling life and with dignity than living longer, being miserable and going without dignity.

8. revi

revi Guest

I used to hate life.... but ever since i admitted i was gay ive been wanting something like this. Also just a joke for the birthrate make everyone gay XD im sure they could figure it out.

9. you

you

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If science can double your life span, surely it can half your fertility.

10. Kat kanu

hell no i love living and all but i dont wanna live to long

11. aeva

I can't quite put my finger on why, but the whole idea just disturbs me.

I think it's probably more because people are afraid of death, or see it as a negative thing, as opposed to seeing the benefits of living longer (of which I can think of zero). I am very comforted by the idea of death. Living forever (or even for twice as long as my projected lifespan) is my idea of torture.

12. NoName114

NoName114 Guest

I would live forever if granted the option, If I did I would not want to have kids (I won't anyway XD) and I would use my life to help humanity in many ways

13. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I don't want to die soon. Either we go to heaven/hell, in which case it is infinite, and if you think about it, that's really awful, or we just sort of shut down, which is also just as awful. Unfortunately, there is no good way out.

14. needshelp

nope, wouldn't want to live any longer than i have to. whenever it's my time to go, i'm ready. my life has been good but not good enough to want to live forever or well past my expiration date. if it turns out that i live til i'm 100, then hooray for me but i would prefer not to live that long. yolo yodo.

15. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'd rather be reborn with a different body than live forever. But, if it kept you eternally youthful though, sure.

16. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    adapting telemerase to prevent the shortening of telemeres on the ends of chromosomes in non-gametic cells, I think, would prevent aging as the cells would not have to slow down division in latter years and could keep at consistently high numbers. Cancer works the same way except it also deactivates several population density related replication-inhibitor genes, and cancer cells never exit growth phase.

or in other words, yes, and there is a well known protein that can do this.... if studied extensively....for years.... and it could only be used on newly fertilized eggs. Although with the new advances in gene therapy, it could be made available to those of us who have already developed into a complete organism.

or, I like to use my knowledge of biology to make myself look smart because I have problems with depression. :lol:

17. vyvance

I'd love to live for a long time. Getting to see all the advances in science and technology would be great.