1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

READ THIS before u decide who to vote for!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by XxTheNumbOnexX, Feb 7, 2008.

1. XxTheNumbOnexX

2. jroakwood

Hillary '08.

3. otc877

otc877 Guest

It is just implying that Obama is anti-gay. He is not anti-gay, in fact he shares the same stance as Hillary in terms of gay marriage: against it.

He, however is an advocate of civil unions, which grant the same basic legal benefits as those who are married.

I read this article before I vote, and It hasn't changed my mind.

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hillary 2008 :icon_wink

5. justjoshoh

Since we are embarking on its four-year anniversary, maybe we should look it the events in a historical perspective. Newsom, the San Francisco mayor, violated state law and the will of the people of California. He usurped power trying to force a constitutional crisis at the state level. That isn't a person I would want to get my picture taken with either if I were fighting for an elected position.

On the other hand, Obama pledges to work toward the end of the Defense on Marriage Act. Obama pledges to work for civil unions for homosexual couples. Obama pledges to work toward granting homosexual couples the 1000-plus federal rights they do not share with their heterosexual couple counterparts.

6. Temujin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All that says is that Obama is being very smart about exposing himself to right-wing, conservative attacks during the general election should he be the Democratic nominee. Protecting your political flanks is very important when the evangelical vote is still very strong and, though the GOP won't have the demon-in-human-form Karl Rove this election, they will no doubt stop at nothing to paint Obama or Hillary as morally corrupt.

With that said, I wish everyone would stop with this it has to be marriage, civil unions are not the same BS. Civil unions would offer the same rights and protections as traditional marriage and that is what we're truly after. Equality in effect is much more important to me than equality in semantics. By protesting that it has to be marriage, we are doing nothing but adding fuel to the evangelical claim that we have a gay agenda.

7. otc877

otc877 Guest

I don't know if you were referring to my post or not, but I guess I didnt' really make my stance firm.

I am for civil unions. I was simply pointing out that Obama and Clinton share the same viewpoint on the subject.

In fact, only Krucinech (sp?) supported gay MARRIAGE.

I'm fine with unions, in fact I prefer it over marriage.