1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for people with/had low self-esteem

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sunnii, Oct 28, 2012.

1. sunnii

How big a factor (if at all) was Your sexuality in having self-esteem? I think mine does or did at one point at least. But I feel like they've overlapped in the sense that my low self esteem has gave me issues about coping with my sexuality.

2. needshelp

yes, most definitely. i'm getting better slowly BUT it's taking a lot of time though. did make some progress though.

3. julia

Yes, mot definitely. I have so much self hate and insecurities and they really, really interfere with me coming out.

4. Pyrotactick

Sort of. It just added to the problem, but I felt like I could put it aside at times. Sometimes if it's about sexuality, it's a huge problem since I'm not all out.

5. Pain

Pain Guest

For me, both came into a major overlap… Before I had accepted myself, I had been a low-esteemed, insecure, uptight jerk. I think that gender stereotypes and heternormativity play a lot into the self-esteem issue as well-- when one hasn't accepted oneself, they are living inadequately as per the status quo. But after acceptance, then caring about the "norm" is diminished. In my case, that's how it was, at least.

6. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    nah, my self esteem has actually got slightly better since i accepted my queerness [still hate myself tho]

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My self-esteem improved a lot after I accepted myself. I think that I felt like I did not deserve anything because I was gay/pangender.

8. Suffocation

I don't think it does. low self-esteem is just a factor of depression, for me.

9. csocm

I think that it could. But I find that my self-esteem problems stem more from my depression, which has nothing to do with me being gay. However, I think in some ways, me accepting my sexuality has helped me to have more confidence in myself.

10. fumblebee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I find that my self esteem problems and insecurities stem more from depression and my inability to "get out of my own head" than with my sexuality. Although that could be simply because I have sort of repressed my sexuality and that whole aspect of my being and not even really dealt with it properly - even just for my own peace of mind. I guess since I don't want to think about my sexuality, I block it out and therefore it doesn't get the blame for my other issues.

11. Colours

I guess so. I have been feeling more confident since I accepted my sexuality and started coming out. I just feel more comfortable about myself.

12. Shannon13

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have always had low self esteem anyway and now I think i'm bi or even lesbian. I haven't been in a relationship and usually detest boys because they treat me like dirt because I'm not into loads of makeup and all that however i'm not really butch- a few exeptions for a few boys but I love to hug my friends who are girls even if I don't fancie them and my first kiss and only kiss with a boy seemed awkward and not right :frowning2:
    always bullied ,
    mum is a lesbian ,
    grandprents who have taken care of me literally forever are sort of homophobics and took a while to get used to my mum :frowning2::icon_sad:

13. HatterMad

I don't mind being gay, but I hate myself.

14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Not at all for me. Being gay certianly hasn't made self esteem and related issues any easier to deal with, but I wouldn't say it's correlated noticeably in any other way. I was fully aware and accepting of my sexuality around 8th grade or so, yet since then shyness, lack of confidence, social anxiety.. etc seem to have only developed and worsened. Towards the end of my junior year things began to take a turn for the better and right now I'm on the road to significant progress still. But yeah none of it's to do with my sexuality. I'm 100% proud to be gay now just as I was upon clearing those initial phases of acceptance. And will firmly remain so for the rest of my life.

15. Gallatin

Sure, there was some correlation between the two. Certainly my self esteem didn't get any worse once I accepted myself. But for me, there were things that had a larger impact on my self esteem.

16. Mogget

My (lack of) sexual history was a factor in my low self-esteem, but not being gay in and of itself.

17. Rufioh

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha, personally, being gay at first was a major issue. It was probably though the catalyst that swung me into the abyss of depression, but as I gradually took small baby steps towards acceptance it is now more about feeling that I am not doing good enough/as well as I could be that causes my poor self-esteem, whether feeling socially inept or mentally inept.

18. SohoDreamer

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't view it as an issue in of itself, but remarks made by others following my coming out have put me down a lot. However, other people have been wonderfully accepting and overall I've become more socially confident and popular. I'm definitely glad I came out, even if there some shortcomings, I believe the positives outweigh the negatives. I sometimes feel a little cold shouldered by my male friends when they make gay jokes, which can sometimes be quite cruel, but my closest guy friends don't do this so much so it's not so bad. I still have very low self esteem, but I go out a lot more and talk to new people more and overall I feel I'm at a turning point in my life. However, I don't know if this in direct correlation with my coming out.

19. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    at least for me, completely unrelated. I would elaborate more if this were in the anonymous section but i don't want to publicly delve too far into my psyche here (at least not that part of it)

20. Yoderrick

To me it was a big one but to me it seems the older you get the smaller it gets