1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amazon Packaging

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zontar, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Zontar

The Internet's a godsend for transgender people looking to buy clothing.

With that in mind, how does Amazon package clothing in your experiences? Is it shipped directly in the manufacturer's box? Is it shipped in a standard brown Amazon box? If you've ever ordered clothing from Amazon, how did it arrive? Would anything on the outside tip 'em off?

Discreetness is of a level of importance here as I'm still too poor to move out of this complete lack of privacy.

2. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everything I've ordered on Amazon that was "Fulfilled by Amazon" or directly from Amazon has always come in a plain brown box that said Amazon on the outside. Now if you order from a place that does not go through Amazon, then it might be different.

3. Alan Lewrie

It's always been very discreet in my experience, but they do have third party stores who may not care, so I avoid them when ordering "strange" items. I've no complaints about that, in any case, however I do lament the fact that you can't delete items in your order history. It means I can't ever let someone else see it, lest the Fleshlight and CRs be seen. The Fleshlight at least makes plenty of sense, despite being embarrassing, but the CRs either imply I'm getting laid, which everyone around me knows isn't true, or very lonely and experimental (the correct answer), and thus even more embarrassing.

4. Zontar

The items I am looking at are "sold from and ships from Amazon.com", so I assume this will ship in the plain brown box.

Excellent return policy too! Looks like I'm good to go...now just to overcome the years of shame about experimenting with my gender identity. ><

5. Neutrality

Most places that you order from online nowdays ship in plain brown boxes because it's safer. They don't want to advertise what the product is on the box, lest someone decide they want it and steal it.

6. Zontar

Hm, another potential trouble spot here. Someone told me that once Amazon has your address when buying clothes, they start shipping the manufacturer catalog and promotional materials to your house every week. That's pretty much a nightmare scenario. Can anyone confirm or deny this happened to them? I suppose I can mask it as an error by using a pseudonym on the shipping name...

7. SFSorrow

Do they not have an option to select where they won't send you any promotional material? Many companies do. I've never received any advertising in the post from Amazon but I've never bought clothes and it might be different in America.

#7 SFSorrow, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They do have an option where you can not have promotional stuff sent to you. I also know that they ship in the amazon boxes as long as it was ordered directly from amazon.

9. Zontar

There's actually an option? Oh, that's fantastic! =D

10. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you buy something that's directly fulfilled by Amazon, it'll come in one of their standard brown boxes with "Amazon" on it and with an Amazon return address. There will be nothing on the outside of the box that indicates its contents. If it's a small amount of clothing or if the articles of clothing are small, it may come in a thin cardboard envelope or something of that sort. Either way, the outside will only say "Amazon."

If you buy something on Amazon that's fulfilled by a private seller, there's no guarantee as to what the packaging will look like. The company's name will most likely show on the shipping label on the outside of the packaging in the return address section. If the name of the company is not obvious as to what it sells, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

11. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you buy something that's directly fulfilled by Amazon, it'll come in one of their standard brown boxes with "Amazon" on it and with an Amazon return address. There will be nothing on the outside of the box that indicates its contents. If it's a small amount of clothing or if the articles of clothing are small, it may come in a thin cardboard envelope or something of that sort. Either way, the outside will only say "Amazon."

If you buy something on Amazon that's fulfilled by a private seller, there's no guarantee as to what the packaging will look like. The company's name will most likely show on the shipping label on the outside of the packaging in the return address section. If the name of the company is not obvious as to what it sells, then I'm sure you'll be fine.

12. SlickyPants

There is also something called "Amazon Frustration-Free" packaging. It typically isn't an option offered on clothing. Usually just toys, electronics, appliances, etc. Amazon works with manufacturers to design separate Amazon-approved boxes instead of the typical flashy retail boxes. No plastic to cut, no tie-wraps, all recycleable packing materials. Often times they will ship without an additional Amazon box overtop. Generally they are still plain brown boxes but they will usually have the manufacturer's logo on it somewhere.

13. Zontar

Essentially, the important bit is that my parents think it's computer parts or something else mundane. They do not open the packages (as they had bad experiences with grandma and grandpa doing that as they grew up) so all that matters is the printing on the outside. Most Amazon packages I've gotten in the mail for these exact products were nondescript packages, I'm glad to hear clothing is no different. xP

This really feels ridiculous after a while...I might as well ask them to make a dead drop like it's a bloody drug deal. It's astounding how unacceptable it feels just to experiment with your own gender identity. How do you TG's do this in the store?!

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I've bought some embarrassing things on Amazon, but never had a problem with the packaging revealing what it is. (Much more embarrassing than different-gendered clothing! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) And yeah, you generally are safer if you order something that is actually fulfilled by Amazon rather than by a 3rd party seller. It always has come in a brown Amazon box. Though if you must, you can always read the reviews of a 3rd party seller to get an idea of how they ship.

15. Zontar

Sex toys, I imagine. I'm sure that would be easier to explain away to my parents than being potentially transgender. :dry:

One is extraordinarily common yet personal, the other makes you think your kid wants a sex change. x.x