1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hurricane Sandy...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

So, anyone else here anywhere between the Middle Atlantic U.S./Northeastern U.S. up to Ontario, Canada? Then unless you're living under a rock, you've probably heard that Hurricane Sandy is about to hit, and its supposed to be quite a doozy...(and if you're outside under a rock, you should probably get indoors! :wink:)

It's being called a perfect storm, and is supposed to hit especially hard in the most heavily populated region in the country, the New York City metropolitan area...

Certainly for the first time in my lifetime, NYC has ordered mandatory evacuations of all coastal areas (a.k.a. Zone A)...39 foot waves have been recorded on buoys off of South Jersey, and an 11-foot storm surge is expected to slam NYC right at high tide; schools are shut down; the entire NYC subway system is closed and expected to be flooded...

Things are supposed to be even worse in parts of New Jersey, where the worst winds and flooding will occur. This is a gigantic storm though, reaching up to New England and into Canada, and also extending down South- this tropical storm is oddly expected to drop two feet of snow on parts of Virginia, Kentucky, and West Virginia.

I know there were at least a few other New Yorkers posting here and other posters here all throughout the very wide path of this storm. Are you all staying safe?

Hopefully this is all just hype, and blows over...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. jsmurf

Be safe! (*hug*)(&&&)

3. FunnyMonkey

I live in Vermont be safe !!!

4. Greendalehumans

Yeah I'm in Maryland and it has begun!! Lol my dad went out at stocked up on flashlights and such :slight_smile: we'll see what happens

5. Thyker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in Pennsylvania and apparently the worse is supposed to go right over where I live. It's just raining right now, but looks like the worse is coming. Stay safe everyone else on the East Coast!

6. Silver Sparrow

I'm in MA, and we have the day off and a warning out. But nothings happened yet other then rain. But that's pretty normal here.
    Stay safe y'all!

7. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's scary :frowning2: I hope everyone's okay.

8. Waffles

I'm supposed to get quite an earful from Sandy as well... all the schools here were cancelled for the day. STAY SAFE, FELLOW EAST COASTERS! ( .A.)/

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to get a ton of wind and rain today.. I'm hoping that things don't get too bad here in northern Ohio.

10. BudderMC

It's just miserable here in Canada, but nothing threatening enough to shut things down.

Stay safe guys.

11. Mitchell

I'm in Southern New Hampshire.

I was supposed to work as a volunteer teachers aid today, but schools here are closed - even though the storm hasn't hit yet.

12. FunnyMonkey

It's really calm here in Vermont.
    The electric company already called to tells that we expect to lose power for a few days . Comcast just called and said the same thing. I hope ever stays safe on the east coast. Best of luck you all for you !!!

If I have power/internet I'll let you know I'm okay , but if you don't here from for a few day that is why.

13. Lark

Lark Guest

Man, I'm glad we hardly ever get hurricanes in England (I think we only ever got one, and it was in the 70's or something)

For all the East Coast Americans, stay safe!

14. GreenRaven

i'm in maryland about 45 mins south of the baltimore harbor, lol. nothing too much yet some medium raid and mostly light wind with occasional big gusts. supposed to get worse around noon. we have oil lamps and flashlights all set up and all our stuff is in from the deck or tied down on the deck. we do have a generator for if we lose power to keep the fridge and freezer running though.

i had to evacuate my bedroom actually, because we have woods behind our house and our yard slopes aaaalll towards them. and with the amount of wind and rain we're expecting there's a high chance of some trees falling, a couple of which are leaning right towards my bedroom. so all ratties and my guitar and computer have been moved. rats and guitar are a few rooms over in my mom's office and my computer is downstairs with me. i claimed the living room couch for my bed XD cause it's super squishy and soft haha. i hope nothing falls on my room though i just finally got around to decorating it after moving home and put all my posters up! i like my room D:

but yeah we're staying safe here! dad was dad and went into work today XD but that's what he do

15. Lewis

I'm in England (we don't really get any hurricanes, maybe a little of rain/wind from those that have passed by us), but I hope everyone stays safe! :slight_smile:

16. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I live in nyc and i can say that as of now, it just seems like it was hyped up. Its windy but it hasnt rained. Im just happy because theres no school today :slight_smile:

17. Haley M

Haley M Guest

I'm on central long island. Windy with rain but not too bad yet.

18. julia

I live in upstate New York and right now it's just a bit windy, 25 mph. It's supposed to get really bad around 4-5pm, though. I hope everyone stays safe!!

19. needshelp

it already made landfall in south jersey but in north jersey, we're feeling it.

20. everett

In MD right, wind is starting to increase, its getting darker outside, just waiting for the electricity to shut down.