1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uncomfortable watching gay shows...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Neutrality, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Neutrality

So..I thought about putting this in support, but it's really more of a curiosity then an issue I need support with, so I get uncomfortable watching gay couples on tv and stuff....I don't know why I get a sick feeling in the pt of my stomach, like I'm nervous. I think it's cause I only came out a few months back and for years I was terrified that if my parents saw me watching gay TV it would out me....Does anyone else have this problem? =P

2. FunnyMonkey

Yes I like to watch LGBT tv shows but I think my Mother saw me watching them it would out me, so I watch them online with my ear buds.

3. Suffocation

Well, whenever there is something about gay things, (when im watching tv with my parents) i get so nervous, like they'll question me or something. idk

4. greg56

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I enjoy them as well.

5. Night Rain

I guess we've been bombarded with heterosexuality and stuffs, so we get weirded out by gay things. It's the same with anything different than the ordinary. And also, yeah, we'd been playing the straight guy so we got used to it, and we're afraid that people will think differently of us if they see us this way... I guess you should just give it some time. Don't force it.

6. Neutrality

The strange thing is I'm out...but I still get that feeling X_X

7. Night Rain

You don't have to do it if you don't like. @_@ There's no reason for you to have to like gay couples on TV.

8. Neutrality

I love watching gay couples in anime for some reason =P

9. Night Rain

It's the opposite for me. :lol:

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Yep, happened to me after I came out and lasted a while actually.

I was only comfortable talking about "gay things" with friends like a year after coming out, watching shows with family was close to that, watching by myself was a couple of months, and I could just keep going on and on.

Its just the whole facing your fears kind of deal. You have literally built a subconscious defense to gay things. Its easier to deny something when you find it repulsive. It takes time to build those defenses down tho.

11. starfish

It takes time but you get more comfortable with it.

12. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it doesn't bother me much at all to have my parents walk in when I'm watching a gay show like Rupauls Drag Race, 1 girl 5 gays, The New Normal, etc..

13. Greendalehumans

I like them... Until I realize how my dad would react to it :/ then I get a little upset and uncomfertable.

14. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love seeing gay/lesbian couples together. However, I do sometimes feel uncomfortable seeing certain actors/actresses in gay relationships on TV because I know the actors/actresses are straight. If they're not particularly good actors, it makes me feel awkward watching them do the scene.

For example, I love the show Pretty Little Liars, but seeing Emily, the lesbian character played by a straight actress, making out with girls is a bit uncomfortable to watch. The actress is hot, and having her be a lesbian on the show is great! Haha. But the intimate/make out scenes are awkward because she's not that good of an actress, and I can sense that the actresses are feeling awkward themselves when they play girlfriend/girlfriend. On the other hand, even though 98% of the actresses on The L Word were straight, their standout, natural performances made it comfortable for me to watch. They made everything appear so real, and they acted well enough so that we could believe they were really enjoying themselves with the same sex.

As for worrying that my parents find out about me watching shows with LGBT characters, I just make sure they don't. I watch things in my room in private. How would they know what I'm watching?

15. Greendalehumans

I'm watching the voice and a guy is singing "Jolene" and since its about a guy, my parents won't stop going on about how "wrong" it is. They're like "yeah that's just wrong. Why would he sing that? He should at least change the lyrics!"
    They're so judgmental.
    -.-

Awkward.

16. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Even though the opportunity doesn't arise very often, I still get uncomfortable when my mother's around if I know there's going to be a gay character or moment coming up on television and that she might see it.

I've been out to her since March...

17. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I get really uncomfortable not because I'm against the idea but because I still feel sort of guilty.

18. I'm sorta like that :slight_smile:
    I think Its still because I'm figuring out my sexual Identity.

19. NickD

I'm out too and watching gay shows is weird to me as well. But it has gotten better. For example, I love Ru Pal's Drag Race, just a guilty pleasure...

I think it's hard because we have been conditioned to think it's "wrong" but it isn't. It's just a part of coming out and learning to deal with reality. You're still adjusting to gay ideas and lifestyle (even if you've been out for years!).

But keep in mind that gay shows just may not be you. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean you're not you and not gay.

Your interests are just another piece that make you, well, you.

20. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Yup I feel the same way! I only just came out about 6 months ago, but when I'm at home and my roomates see me watching Ellen or something, I'm afraid of whether they'll suspect I'm gay. Usually I'll just watch gay shows or movies on my laptop with my earphones in. :rolle:
    Hopefully I'll become more comfortable with it one day!