1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are there some places you're still nervous about being 'out' in?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by IanGallagher, Oct 30, 2012.

1. IanGallagher

Luckily for the most part my career revolves around Hollywood - I would't care about being "out," everyone's beyond accepting. But, for right now I'm currently in a pit-stop in my life, while writing to further my career, which places me at a factory doing manual labor. For some reason, I just really don't feel comfortable about being 'outed' to them and in that kind of setting. Thus, basically - I'd fear being "out" in manual labor type settings.

2. Shannon13

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not comfortable about being out* anyway ... no one knows.

3. livinglifefree

I still find myself uncomfortable being openly gay in some places. I find it hardest in very small towns. My girlfriend and I recently visited a terribly small town together and holding hands in public made me feel like I had a target on my back.

4. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just recently transferred schools... I'm leaving my Facebook's interested in set to public but at the same time I'm wondering if I'll regret it later. I'm letting people get to know me and waiting for someone to say, "Wait, you're gay?" but I'm just worried that time's going to be too soon, before I actually get to know everyone.

5. School of course. Out of all the places I go to regularly, this is the only place where there are homophobes (although, they're a minority) that I have to regularly coexist with. I plan to come out anyway.

My Church (Catholic) and Confirmation Classes will never know.

I guess you could say I wouldn't hold hands with my boyfriend, if I do get one (I'm bisexual), in public.

6. mattloveshugs92

yes if i got a job, or one of the churches i attend, some of my dads relatives...

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2012 at 03:32 PM ----------

hey are you doing ok because of evil strom sandy?

7. Yes, thank for asking. :smilewave But, yeah, me and my family live in a safe space, and I think the storm passed us already.

8. Beachboi92

Whenever I'm at social gatherings where I don't know a lot of the people I get really uncomfortable about it. I feel comfortable when I know people know, and when they don't I'll get things like girls hitting on me and it is a little awkward for me because I feel almost like I'm having to come out to strangers over and over, especially when it is like a party or something with dancing as obviously I want to find if there are any guys I can dance with. The worst part is it makes me feel like that awkward high school kid again. You know the quiet one that people think is weird because I'm shy and I don't want to have to be walking around coming out to people (I do a lot of activism so it ultimately finds it's way into conversation very easily). I guess I'm sort of rambling but moral of the story is I do because I get that coming out feeling of "if people figure out how will they react/what will they think. I don't know them so it could be bad" and at the same time I wish I wasn't walking around in a place where people assumed everyone was hetero and I could just naturally be out all the time like the straight people.

---------- Post added 30th Oct 2012 at 07:43 PM ----------

on an added note I had this issue at a friends party recently and one of the people figured out and started talking politics and saying things like Obama doesn't have a birth certificate, and we need to re-impliment DADT (I have LGBT friends who serve and have debated serving many a time), and then he started quoting the bible at me and we had been drinking so we almost got into a fist fight.

9. mattloveshugs92

i am glad you all are ok, and yeah just accept your own self as jesus does if you believe in the catholic ways or other denominations ways, i hated being catholic because i was forced, and in general i was a very very very very rebellious person growing up. i hated anything i was forced to do..... and i was a bad kid. but im glad i am a happy person today, i want to visit my catholic church again :grin: that i was born into :grin:.

10. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Actually, an number of places that is very close to infinite. That is, every place.

11. Thank you :grin: And yeah I just started going back to Church

12. vyvance

Work and family.

13. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't care who finds out in my school anymore, I've got enough allies to feel comfortable there no matter what the occasional idiot or 2 thinks about me. Outside there it's really less of me being worried per se. More of I just havent felt the need to talk about it with most people yet. Or there's no clear difference or advantage to me being out there, so I just aren't yet.

14. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As my out status would suggest, I'm comfortable being out practically everywhere: the classroom, my dorm, at home with my folks, with extended family, at work at the job I have here at school, at work at my summer job (which was just a research position with one of my professors, so not far off from academia), and with crowds of new people (I've read poems about my sexuality at a local open mic before). Heck, I've even gotten to the point where I can be open about my gender[ with a crowd of new people! (if they're my age)

But the one place I was never able to bring myself to come out was at my old job back home, where I continued to work over my summer and winter breaks until my junior year of college. My coworkers there were nearly all over 50 (I worked at the town library), and although my boss was an extremely intelligent man who I know would have had no problem with it, it was a very tight-knit place, so if you got on someone's bad side, everyone else knew about it immediately. So I didn't want to risk getting on one person's bad side because of my sexuality, and even though I go back to visit when I go home for the long breaks, I still haven't come out to anyone there who isn't my age.

15. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only places where I feel uncomfortable about being out would be with my extended (conservative) family, and in my church, even though they're accepting of gay people.

16. im not really out at work (only to about 3 people), i would feel awkward somehow if everyone knew.....

i would feel awkward being out at college too when i go back.

17. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm only out to three people, and I feel so umcomfortable that I've spent the last couple of months convincing them I was just confused and am actually not gay lol.

18. Lewis

At college. Only two of my close friends know from college and people I consider acquaintances do not. So I won't be openly discussing it, but if anybody asks, I'll tell them.

19. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I'm out everywhere and to everyone. At first I felt uncomfortable being out at my internship, just because I didn't really know them and I didn't feel like talking about it was really any of their business. I didn't ever bring it up to anyone but my brother and I are sort of well-known around here, and my mentor asked my Love about me, and it just sort of got out naturally I suppose. And everyone at the office is totally accepting, by the way. They all have LGB friends/family. None of the probationers have ever said anything, but I have been asked point blank by one of them if I was attracted to a different probationer, a guy who is rumored to be bisexual, which of course I wasn't.

Plus, I haven't gone with my mentor to the rehabilitation center in a while, but it's pretty hardcore. It's a lockdown type facility, like a prison, and they only take the worst of the worst offenders. I was so scared to just walk into it for the first time but by the time this summer came around, I was wearing pink and everything else there. So. ^_^

20. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    School. Scary place for someone to know at. Some of my facebook already know so that's no problem.