1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being confused for opposite sex

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by afterthefact, Oct 30, 2012.

1. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It didn't bother me at first, but now it's getting annoying. People that do not know me and who are addressing me from a distance sometimes assume that I am a teenage boy. Last week my professor called me "sir", which was followed by a lot of head turns when I started talking (with an obviously not male voice). I do not have male feature, but do have short hair and wear more gender-neutral clothing, it is pretty easy to distinguish who I am. It is at times amusing (when kids question their parents while you can hear them, and their parents try to explain to them that there are different people and that they shouldn't judge), at times funny (when older people with I suppose vision impairment do it - just let it slide), but at times irritating.

What are your stories/opinions on this issue?

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

It's clearly not as easy to distinguish as you think. If you're irritated with people who do this, you can't blame them for making an honest mistake.

3. afterthefact

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Certainly, sorry if I was ambiguous in my above explanation, but I do agree that it is not clear sometimes. I guess the question is whether to correct people or not. I personally don't, but I do know people who get offended when they are addressed with wrong nouns.

4. stonewalk

having things like this happening over and over and over can get pretty annoying, the key is simply keeping the fact that they havent met you yet in mind. i guess it seems fair to correct them once politely before getting upset. lol in honestly im kind of jealous of this happening to others i really wish that i could pass as either or neither. but i was born with a very german (angular and prominent) face.

5. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I think a few might be kind of freaked out if you correct them, but I don't think that most would mind. And if someone minds enough to cause a problem, they'll probably cause one anyway. So, if you're irritated by it, why not? I can see no disadvantages. It just seems kind of futile since you'll never see them again.

6. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    :roflmao:

Sorry sorry, I'm not laughing at what you said, is just... that left me thinking....

Is curious how we never get what we want, right? You don't like to being confused with a man, and I certainly wanted (you don't know how many times ... or maybe you do) to be confused with a girl. Since I was a little child I wanted to have the looks of a woman, but, of course, being a born male made that difficult.

Guess that, if life doesn't give us what we want, we just have to get it ourselves:icon_wink

Again, sorry if I looked offensive before (*hug*)

7. Mitchell

I get mistaken for a girl on the phone all the time.

8. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Only happened once. It was at a restaurant with my mom. The guy quickly retracted and apologized. VERY awkward. I have facial hair now, so I don't think it will happen again.