1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of leaving EC... Again

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yep. It's true

I've been thinking of leaving EC for different reasons this time. Reasons i can't say cause they kinda stupid and I don't deal with rejection well. I think it's fair to say I get too attached when all other guys do is wanna be friends.

It's not good but I can't help it.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! (*hug*)

You are going to be hard pressed to find anyone who will tell you "I deal with rejection well, or really well." Rejection, no matter from what it is coming from is never easy to deal with.

If you want to talk in private you can always PM one of the staff members or another full member.

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I know EC isn't meant to be that sort of site

It just doesn't do me any good when I get feeling are too attached but I know nothing will ever come of it... I know I sound stupid right

4. madi

Maybe you can still be on EC for support, but also join a dating site where you can also get a romantic connection? I know it is hard if you are getting attached to people, but if you were getting a bit of romance or whatever it is somewhere else maybe it would be easier.

5. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

If there was a dating site with genuinely nice guys on I would but sadly there isn't. I've been on a few for while and either got no messages or just countless rejections

I'm so sad

6. Jared

(*hug*) I personally am not a huge fan of dating sites, I don't know anyone who has had a good experience with them.

I know how much it sucks when you get attracted to people who just want to be friends. I'm the kind of person who latches on to anyone who shows me attention or compliments me. If you ever want to talk send me a PM.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hey now, I haven't from you since the last time you were thinking! :eusa_doh:

If you're feeling lonely because you can't find a boyfriend, why would you leave this forum where you can at least find friends online? I can guarantee you you're not the only guy here who wishes he could find a 'genuinely nice guy' to share a romantic relationship with...

8. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear about your experience! An experience I can only relate to.

In my experience, I have found dating sites not to be very useful when it comes to finding someone, and actually I would not recommend any friend of mine to join a dating site. I'd actually recommend to go out and join activity/social groups, etc.. and get to know people through that.

Try not taking too personally. I know it can be hard but you can also flip the whole situation and actually say: you know what? You have just lost out on getting to know me, and what I have to offer. And if you think about it, it is true.

9. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah I'm really like that to

---------- Post added 31st Oct 2012 at 06:11 AM ----------

Problem is most of guys I like seem to be on EC. Like the posted said I become too attached or attracted to a guy as soon as compliments me or similar

---------- Post added 31st Oct 2012 at 06:14 AM ----------

Tried the whole social group thing

Well I tried looking and could find nothing. Not just gay groups but groups on general and found zero. By the way only gay group I found had age restrictions on it

10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you tried contacting them, to see if they could give you information for something else that might be available and might not have an age restriction?

11. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. Nothing... That plans to make more groups but as of yet. Nothing

12. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not become pro-active by offering to help in creating a group? I'm sure you would probably have a couple of opportunities to meet others through it as well! :slight_smile:

13. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

No I don't think I could do anything like that

14. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny thing is, and for some reason, it is always the ones who feel they would not be able to create something or be a part of/involved in something new, get involved in the end. :slight_smile:

It doesn't take a lot to call up a couple of people and ask them would you like to start meeting on a regular basis for social get togethers. That's all. If you are on a dating site and talking to people, and beginning to open up about yourself, all you would need to do is to switch the dating site for your e-mail, introduce yourself, and ask 'would you be willing to begin a social get together group?'

If this is something that is lacking in your area, I'm sure you will find others who would love to be part of it. Give it some thought.

15. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I dont want the wrong type of people to come which why a ready set up group was best

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You do realize that you're basically finding reasons why you can't take any of the suggestions offered, rather than genuinely trying to change your situation, right? :slight_smile:

Here's one suggestion: If you find yourself getting attached to everyone who ever says anything nice to you... then you first need to spend some time working on yourself before seeking a relationship. Here's why: When you are using the relationship as a means to validate your worth as a human being, which is what happens when you find yourself immediately attaching to anyone who says anything nice, what you're doing is making your worth as a person dependent on what others think of you. And that's a recipe for failure. (It's also a recipe for unending failed relationships.)

You can only love someone, or accept love from someone, when you are capable of loving yourself. That's documented in Brené Brown's research on shame and vulnerability. Otherwise, what you experience isn't love; it's misplaced, and inauthentic attempts to validate your worth.

So... leaving EC isn't going to help matters. If anything it will probably make them worse. If you stick around here, talk about your issues, work through them, and actively engage and take some of the (small) risks people are encouraging you to take... you'll grow, you'll start healing the insecurities you have, and you'll become more able to love yourself, making it much easier to cultivate a healthy relationship.

As far as anyone I've spoken to knows, there isn't any other community out there like EC where you can feel the level of support and acceptance, combined with the encouragement to challenge yourself and grow. So I'd encourage you to stay, and to take another look at the suggestions above, and to keep thinking about, and working on your issues. That's where the real change is going to come from, not from a relationship you won't be able to sustain because of the current self-esteem problems.

I hope that all makes sense. :slight_smile:

17. CTJ

CTJ

I assume that you're from Sunderland in the UK and there isn't some wacky Sunderland in the US, I know how difficult it is being stuck in this country. We Brits don't seem to have the group culture that the states does, I've looked before for meet-ups but there is genuinely nothing in my county, which makes it extremely difficult to just meet other 'nice' gays. We have to rely on certain apps, dating websites and gay clubs, but when you're the sort of person (i am as well) that doesn't want to meet guys for hook ups, you're pretty much screwed. At least you're not stuck in the closet, i'm only out to a few people and too much of a coward to fully come out. So i have that against me for meeting other gays too lol.

I don't really have any advice other than to stick around and at least voice (type) out what you're feeling and seek the advice of the people on this site who, in my experience, are the nicest and wisest people ive ever talked to.

18. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I guess your right. Now I feel like a complete idiot

---------- Post added 31st Oct 2012 at 11:31 AM ----------

I have to agree that the brits don't have the groups like states seem to have

19. BudderMC

People attract similar people. Just like how you probably like people on EC because they're "nice guys", those are the people who would want to attend your group. Sure, you might get some people straying from that image, but generally speaking if they don't have anything in common, they probably won't stick around. I mean, why do you think EC is made up of predominantly the same type of "nice" person? :slight_smile:

Anyways, as I usually say to people, leave if you feel that's really best for you. Sometimes we really just do need a break. But I will say that I think leaving because of this reason is nothing more than a Band-Aid fix; ignoring your feelings in hopes that they will go away is probably less productive than addressing why you have those feelings in the first place. If you think you've have tendencies to be unnaturally attached to people, then maybe it might be worth examining why, by talking with a counsellor or an Advisor on EC for example.

Regardless, I wish you the best of luck.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't feel like an idiot. Low self esteem plays really evil games with us. You aren't a bad person, an idiot, unlovable, or anything of the sort. You've just got some issues to work through. It ought to be proof that you're *not* an idiot that you posted talking about what you were thinking about doing, instead of just doing it. That means that part of you realized it might not be such a great idea.

So appreciate and own the part of you that's making smart decisions. Believe that you're capable of continuing to do that. And work on thinking about the things you're doing right, not punishing yourself for the things you're still working on :slight_smile: