1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Indifferent about using Facebook now

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JasmineFirebird, Oct 31, 2012.

1. First, I wanted to delete my account and went to do so. It turns I deactivated it. I read that I could reactivate it again and everything will still be there. That was one thing that made me question Facebook.

Second, I went to google to search on how to permanently delete my account for good. Followed instructions on that and lead me to a page that I think wasn't actually in the manage account settings. I followed everything and then I was informed that my account will be permanently deleted within 14 days. If I choose to keep my account I'll just have to log in. This made me very suspicious of Facebook once again. I guess it was just me being nervous about it. Then I thought everything will be fine.

Third, I decided to just log in again and Facebook brought back a new account with a blank slate. The problem I had though, all the suggested friends were all the people I had as friends when I previously had Facebook. That is one thing that Was creeping me out. The final thing that did make me never want to be involved with Facebook ever again was this: whenever you upload a picture now, it will show the exact and time of your upload. If I uploaded a picture at a Wal-Mart, then it will show the exact Wal-Mart I've been when I uploaded the picture. Imagine if I uploaded pictures at home on my computer.

2. Aielar

I'm strongly considering deactivating my facebook account - I've removed all my personal information from facebook (where I live, etc) but I'm concerned how secure the information I've posted on facebook really is. Particularly with the recent changes to the profile display - Timeline - my concern over it has gotten even bigger. Plus, as you mentioned, it's called deactivating your account, not deleting it - which tells me the information you had on facebook is stored somewhere...but where is it stored is the million dollar question.

3. IllusiveRannoch

i deleted mine before any changes were made to the server. i'm sure glad i did because now, out of curiosity, i tried logging on w/ my old account info, & it said it wasn't there. fortunately, i'm off the major social media grid now.

---------- Post added 1st Nov 2012 at 03:10 PM ----------

plus, when i deleted mine, you had to go a certain # of days w/out logging on before it was permanently gone.

4. Lewis

I'm actually on my second week with no facebook, doubt I'll ever go back.

5. King

King Guest

I originally deleted mine, with privacy concerns - like, took the secret link to actually deleting my account. I went over a year without it and I didn't miss it in the slightest.
    I got a new one the summer before I started college because I figured, hey I'm either gonna make friends or move away so it'd be nice to keep in touch with people. I have about 40 friends and I really only use Facebook to follow my favourite bands/singers/groups... It's pointless to me but there's no better way to follow them.

6. SlickyPants

You can't delete your account. Sure they may let you "delete" it but all that's really done is they've removed your page from their public directory. Everything you've liked, every Friend, every link you've clicked on, every status update, photo or any shred of personal information is still on a hard drive in their possession ready to be sold to any number of marketing companies.

Your only real thing you can do is to discontinue posting personal information that you don't want out there. Everything that has been posted is still out there and owned by facebook and there is nothing that can be done to actually "delete" it. Facebook is afterall a business and their goal is to collect information about people, information that advertisers will pay big bucks to have, and they disguise it as a way to interact and keep in touch with your friends and follow whatever interests you.

Just remember that facebook does not cost any money to use but it certainly isn't free.

7. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I cant stand facebook. Havent used it in a year and a half.

It honestly feels really inauthentic. Its a very edited view of people's lives and it affects my mental health really badly.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yeah, I deactivated my Facebook account a while ago, but they didn't let me delete. I don't like that whole company's attitude, especially when it comes to respecting the privacy of its users.

9. Ridiculous

I have facebook.com set to loopback to 127.0.0.1... nice not having all those little "share on Facebook" icons that everyone puts on their websites.