1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Irreligious LGBT people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Oct 31, 2012.

?

If raised religious, did you leave your religion because it had anti-gay beliefs?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. No

44 vote(s)
    78.6%
  1. If say, you were raised Christian. Was Christianity's opposition to homosexuality what lead you to become non-religious?

2. revi

revi Guest

Actually no. I became non religious when i noticed flaws about there logic and stories. Sooo i became an evolutionist long before i was even intwined with sexual feelings...

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That was definitely part of it in retrospect. After a while I started to notice some of the day-to-day practices of the Catholic Church didn't really seem to line up with the basic concepts it was apparently based upon. For example the whole "women cannot be ordained priests" thing never made much sense to me. Various religious orders were, however, responsible for establishing the foundation of what became our modern educational, social and health care systems before the government (Canada here) took over those responsibilities, and I am grateful for that in a historical sense - I just don't feel I can be a part of it in today's day and age. Oh and the whole going to hell part ;p.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was not raised religious by my parents. I kinda stumbled into a church myself during an after school program one day..

But part of the reason that I left religion was because of how I was treated.

5. mattloveshugs92

if god is love, why should love be wrong?

6. Vivid

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The issues were contemporary, but I came to my conclusions on each separately; I lost my religion before accepting my sexuality.

7. Jonathan

No, I left the religion before I even knew I was gay. Once I realized how illogical religion as whole is, I became an atheist.

8. mattloveshugs92

i was catholic and thats why i left, i saw hypocrytes every where, pluss i didnt like sitting down, so yeah i left paartly to homophobia, i came out to my pastor i go to a baptist church(tonight), he didnt seem to care at allll, and smiled at me, and gave me a feeling of affirmatiiom, my native christian pastorn aaccepts me and loves me as me, if the pastor doesnt care, than the parisheners words would mean nothing on the matter to me. i left the catholic church, because of homophobia and i hated sitting down, and not understnding it, infact i was so angry ide openly mock the service, in the catholic church, i was a rebellious kid bullied, abused, angry, forced to take dangerous meds, always hostile as a result and in many fights as a result, of it so if i went to church, it was a place for me to be mean to either bullies, or just laugh, i then went down a path of negativity, until i was forced to go to church, i resisted because i was 17 still 4 years later a rebel right when i waas 17, i went in and i wanted to usually burn every church down, and tell them god doesnt exists, and man made books up to kill people because cristians have a stick in their (a word)n because what people did and would say, i never cired, ide just laugh at chursitians and tell them to shove the bible up their (insert A word here) and that it was fake nd to be burnt like hitler burnt books, but when i went in this church, i cried and i cried, and cried, and then i felt a strange love over take me, i felt 1000 pounds off my back, and was a christian since that day, people noticed a change, i became more loveable, i didnt cut after a while i was a cutter, i quit drugs, recently i did to mary j, to try to help adhd, but thought it was dumb, so i read my bible, and prayed, i becamme christian after wanting to burn every church, and send every bible to fire. ironic huh? becuaasue if i dindt go to church that day i would be in three places, in a crack house, in jail, or dead, 6 feet in the ground. but if you knew me 4 years ago when i was 14, i was a biggoted hateful of christians, jews, muslims i was a racist (up bringing (person no longer in my life), and even wanted to be in the kkk, till i cme out, met awesome african americans muslims, jews, and found god, because i was on a path to jail drugs or suicide, nd i would have been dead by now. yeah this is deep stuff, stuff i wish never happend (the negative) stuff i wish never entered my mind, stuff i wish i never said, or spoke.. but my heart is softer now, and that past is behind me, i look foward now.

9. fleetingwells

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No. Growing up, I sorta found things out my way. During middle school, I grew apart from religion, mainly because my family stopped going to church (we weren't really big on religion). I had my communion, but at that point religion didn't mean much to me. Taking science classes year after year made me realize that religion didn't really make much sense anymore. Finding out that I was gay further emphasized that.

That doesn't mean I completely left behind certain beliefs from the religion I was raised in (Catholicism), but I've moved away from most of it. I'm agnostic now.

10. Beachboi92

I became an Atheist around 7 or 8. I used to pray to god every night that my parents would stop fighting and that my family would be happy… prayers never got answered. I pulled that fact up one morning as I had become opposed to going to church. The family never returned with me after that day.

Later I became more of a Buddhist/pantheist (god is all things and all things are god/the rules that govern and create our universe is ultimately god). This ultimately just left me with the debate between determinism and free will and while I think determinism has a stronger argument I believe in free will.

11. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was never really all that religious to begin with. I hated the whole concept of "Okay, you have to dress up, or you'll go to hell". That never really made sense to me. There are also a crap ton of contradictions in the bible, which by the way, was written by FISHERMEN. I don't exactly know where someone would get that it was written by God. I also started equating Christianity to the Greek Myths, and comparing the many similarities between the two. The one that did it for me, though was fathoming the idea of not going to either heaven or hell. That once you die, that really is just it. Blackness, and you don't even know, because you're dead..

12. Mykayla

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've been baptized and confirmed as a Christian, but I do not believe in their teachings. Even if they were true, the God they portray has the mood swings of a teenager. They call him "all good" and "all loving" yet he kills 40 children with bears and basically kills off the entire planet (if you were to believe such stories, that is). I could go on for hours about my problems with Christianity and religion in general (created in a time when we lacked the knowledge to explain stuff such as the weather) but it's getting late and I have to be up in 6 hours.

Also, when you think about the Bible, it's the story of a God who somehow becomes his own son then kills himself for his own sick pleasure.

13. BudderMC

100% this. I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic elementary and high schools, though pretty much decided I didn't like religion by the time my confirmation came around.

14. It may have "sealed the deal," but I remember doubting my religion (Catholicism) before I was aware of its beliefs regarding homosexuality. The real reason I left my religion is simply because I'm indifferent. Perhaps there is a higher power out there, maybe there isn't, but I just don't care. I don't feel like it's relevant in my life.

15. burg

i was reading nietzsche beyond good and evil when i was 12 so yea far from being religious.i went to Sunday school when i was 8 with a friend.it scared me they gave me a bible to bring back next week, my friend a Moro bar for bringing me and one for me for coming.i remember the bible stories they told me and i remember thinking it seems like they believe this lol. i had no idea what Sunday school was about till then.

16. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My parents became Jehovah's witness when I was 3 so I was raised in that religion, I guess I always liked it because I just did what my parents told me and I guess I always just believed what they told me and I was totally convinced this was the one true religion, I was baptized in this religion at age 12 , there were always some things about the religion that didn't quite sit well with me, knocking on people's doors , and other stupid things, but when I was 24 and my best friend to took me to my first rave my mind was completely open to new things and ideas and I met some of the most amazing people, I was pretty much told I had to give my new world up all my friends because raving and hanging out with people not of our religion wasn't ok, at that point I was done with it it was either lead a double life or choose one or the other I chose to leave the religion iv never been happier and then I was able to come to terms with my bisexuality a few years later.

17. IllusiveRannoch

oooo, i voted 'no', but it's a mix of both no & yes, leaning more towards no. it's a complicated answer that's going to take a while, so i'll post it after i get back from work later.

18. Yuliya

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For me religion is method to manipulate and conrol other people by using their faith and vulnerability... I don't want ot be a part of such organization... yes, anti-gay beliefs created big problems when I was young too

19. Crassus

Crassus Guest

No. Religion was never really my thing. I would be dragged to church and sunday school every sunday, but I never really paid attention to what they were talking about. When I started listening and thinking about it, it didn't make much sense to me, so I never really bought into it.

20. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm another person who became an atheist because of the implausibility of the dogma pushed by religion, although religion's stance on GLBT issues has only further convinced me that I made the right choice in distancing myself from it.