1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those who are out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Did you face rejection and how did you handle it?

I want to come out already but this is the only stumbling block.

2. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't really face any rejection, but I only told people I trusted when I was at school, because I knew I didn't want to have to deal with any crap from immature kids in lower years or dumbasses in my year.

I came out to my parents too and they were fine about it. (I had a speech prepared to make them feel guilty about not accepting me if it turned out that way, but I suppose it's not the best idea to be aggressive with your parents if they don't like what your saying).

I really 'fully' came out I suppose in uni, just because people at uni tend to be a lot more mature and accepting, and there isn't a lot of prejudice.

I think the main thing is to surround yourself with positive, accepting people, then if you do face any rejection you have other friends that reinforce your own opinion that there's nothing wrong with you, and you're fine the way you are. I know with the friends I had (and still do) if someone wasn't accepting of my sexuality, that would affect that close minded person's friendships with my accepting friends (as in, they would think a non-accepting person was an ignorant loser).

I had to sound negative, but you're most likely going to experience rejection because of your sexuality at one point, the main thing is to remember that that's that person's problem and not yours.

I hope that didn't sound condescending! And I hope it helps in some way.

3. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Complete and utter rejection from most, not my parents though.

It's still worth it.

4. Not condescending at all, and it does help! Thank you. :smilewave
    Wow, sorry to hear about the first part. :frowning2: I'm guessing I should stop being cynical because I live in a more tolerant area.

5. Fiddledeedee

Complete acceptance from my school friends, and nobody at church has rejected me. My brother is also fine with it, though Mum isn't so much. Although it isn't exactly rejection, with her I avoid talking about it and make sure she knows being bi doesn't define me. It feels awkward to mention LGBT issues near her, but maybe in six months, when she really can't say I'm going through a phase, I'll discuss it with her more. Even though she's my mother, it doesn't really concern her at the moment.

It's worth it for me; I came out over a year ago, and you know what? Nobody really cares. It's just a fact about me only mildly more interesting than my hair color, and at school things like my enjoyment of maths are talked about far more than my sexuality. :slight_smile:

6. Wow, which denomination is that?

Well, it feels weird to mention lgbt issues with my mom too even if she's okay with gays. I wonder why is that.

7. Fiddledeedee

Church of England (Anglican). I've grown up there, and whilst they aren't exactly accepting and many people consider same-sex relationships wrong, they're also respectful and still totally fine with me myself. A few of my Christian friends are also fine with same-sex relationships, but they're a minority (though also the ones closer to my age, coincidentally).

8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I've only come out to my immediate family and one friend but so far I haven't faced any rejection. A lot of the people I know are very accepting of gay people, though I wish that made it easier to come out to some of them lol.

I know Canada is more forward than most of the countries in the world when it comes to LGBT rights, but I think it has to do with the area people live in as well.

9. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Acceptance from everyone I have told. But then, I haven't told any populars or homophobes so I am thankful especially since small towns seem to be less accepting

10. Took My Youth

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well my mum had absolutely no problem with it, I knew she wouldn't do and so that was fine. But my dad... well, the night I came out, was when I was a bit tipsy after going to a family party with my dad. All of his family were making homophobic comments all night and it really upset me actually, because none of them knew that I'm gay.

So when I got back from the party, I was ranting to my mum at about 3 in the morning about how much my dad and his family had annoyed me, and then I kind of spilled it out to her and she was fine. But a few days later I told my dad and he wasn't too accepting... he's always said that gays are alien and that all of them try to hit on him, but after a couple of hours he came 'round and everything is fine, we talk about it freely. He told the rest of his family (with my permission) and they won't speak to me, but I don't mind because they're homophobic AND racist so they aren't nice people to be around.

My advice to you, is to go for it when you feel ready (and don't do it when you're drunk :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). And if the people you tell don't like it, then you know who your real friends/family are.

11. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So far so good, and I followed that ^^^^^ strategy...

12. armsoutfarther

When I told my family I wasn't straight and might swing both ways, they were actually really cool with it. My parents are completely fine with it. My older sister and cousin (who is practically a sister to me) know also, and they haven't treated me any differently.

I don't my sister understands it completely (I hope you get what I mean) but she accepts me still. So in all, come out when you're ready :slight_smile: It's terrifying but you'll be glad when it's over because you feel a whole lot better, trust me.

13. SkyDiver

I haven't had any rejection from my school, church or workplace. My family originally had a problem with it, but they changed and are now 100% supportive.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  15. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've come out to everyone I've met at university, all of my internet friends and quite a few people I went to school with over the course of October. I haven't faced any rejection.

16. Colours

I can't call it rejection, but the most negative reaction I got was my father's. He said he wasn't happy with me being into boys and how it isn't socially accepted to date the one sex one time and date the different sex next. He even said that it would be a tough thing to do to come out to other people, and my friends would look at me differently and all that. Funny thing is, I didn't tell him whether other people knew, but he just assumed him and my mother (I came out to them both at the same time) were the first to know. They were though, aside from my now ex boyfriend.
    But yeah, he did say he'd support me if this was going to be way I chose to live my life because I'm his son. He admitted he'd rather have seen me come home with a girl though, which I completely understand, I just thought he was being a bit too honest.

How did I deal with it? I didn't mind, really. I'm not really close with my parents.
    I told myself beforehand that I couldn't care less what they thought, and I was even kind of hoping my father would be unaccepting and that we would get in a fight so I had an excuse to run away. That didn't happen though and I'm glad it didn't. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: He doesn't act any differently towards me.

17. madi

I haven't dealt with any rejection so far, but I don't tell people who I know are homophobic. I am out on facebook, but most people seem to either not notice or not take it seriously.

18. aeva

Nope, I haven't had any negative feedback from people I actually cared about. They have actually all been amazing, including and perhaps especially my parents (they are surrounded by gay friends so I knew they'd be cool with it though) and my best friend of 14 years.

I've gotten some somewhat offensive comments from straight guys that seem to think they're the cure to lesbianism, but they aren't people whose opinions matter to me. My old boss has said some pretty messed up things, but I wasn't out to him (for that exact reason).

19. shaunnaj84

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately I didn't come out until later in life... I was 27.. but I still faced rejection from my dad... he's uber religious... but he eventually came around... I guess in the end it didn't matter if he agreed with my decisions, he just wants me happy and he loves me..

he still says he prays for me everyday... he prays that I will ask for forgiveness in time i guess... but honestly it annoys me... why would I ask for forgiveness when I don't think I am doing anything wrong????

20. Lewis

All my friends have accepted me and treat me no different from normal.