1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do agender people wear?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Since they don't identify with any gender, what do agender/genderless people wear?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Personally, I wear a t-shirt and a kilt. I used to wear cargo pants because of the convenience of having all those pockets, but I found a kilt that has just as much pocket space (even more, in fact), and the kilt more closely matches how I feel inside than pants.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

What does it really mean to be agender? I don't like the idea of having to identify with any gender; certainly I wouldn't want to have my outfits dictated by a nonsensical concept. If you are agender, wouldn't that mean you could just wear whatever you want without even thinking whether it is "masculine" or "feminine"?

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No way, that's awesome!

5. Minamimoto_Fan

I knew there was a reason why I love kilts...

Anyway everyone that's agender that I know just wears whatever they want.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The best way I've heard it described is that I don't have a problem with my male body, but if I woke up tomorrow in a female body, after the initial shock of such a drastic and improbable change taking place wore off, I'd shrug and go about my day. Agender means to not identify with any gender in particular. Look at asexual people and the fact that they can't label themselves as gay or bi or straight because they don't feel the attraction to people that defines those labels. Similarly, we can't label ourselves as cis or genderqueer or transsexual because we don't feel the kinds of reactions to being identified as male or female that most people feel that allows them to label themselves that way.

To give you an idea, I've heard people refer to me using male pronouns (obviously), female pronouns, and gender-neutral pronouns, and none of them really elicited any kind of response from me, certainly not moreso than the other ones.

There are probably straight men out there who don't like the idea of dating women because they "don't understand women", but that doesn't change the fact that they're heterosexual. Similarly, someone might not like the things that often come along with having a gender, but that alone doesn't make someone agender. It's not identifying with gender, begrudgingly or otherwise, that makes someone agender. So that's the question you should ask yourself if you think you might be agender: do you not like the baggage that comes with gender because it's nonsensical, or because it feels like it doesn't fit your experiences?

Theoretically, but social pressures and the norms we grow up with can be very powerful things.

Yes way! It's the Survivalist model made by the Utilikilt company. I could not be happier with it: the pockets are plenty spacious, and it makes great gender-confusing wear. :slight_smile:

7. aeva

That is absolutely amazing. I have several friends that love wearing kilts too...although they're all cis.

8. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

That is interesting, when did you start identifying as agender? Did you previously identify as transgender or genderqueer?

But isn't the title question kind of overly general then? Agender is not a category of gender, but an absence of it. There shouldn't be one particular way to dress in order to be agender.

I don't like the baggage that comes with gender because I find myself unable to believe in the existence of gender.

I am a-theist because I don't believe in God, so wouldn't I be a-gender if I don't believe in gender?

I see no rational basis for the existence of gender. Certainly there is no biological basis for certain types of clothing being "male" and others "female". (If anything, wearing skirts/kilts makes more biological sense for male-sexed people who have parts that need room to breathe down there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Well sure, but what is life besides a struggle against very powerful things? :icon_wink

9. Romi

This.

I have some agender friends, varying between being born with a male and female body. It seems that they all have one thing in common when it comes to their wardrobe. Every single one of them dresses in a very neutral way. Pants that aren't too revealing, loose t-shirts, jackets over that, and sneakers [generally something snazzy like Chucks or Converse]. When it comes to physical appearance, they all have varying hair styles. I know one of the female-bodied friends often gets called out as a guy because their hair is shorter and they aren't full-bosomed.

So while there is that social pressure to dress in concordance with your biological sex, there are ways to dress that just don't matter to anyone. It really all depends on that person and what they feel comfortable with.

10. Linthras

Linthras Guest

This. Which for me means t-shirts and cargo shorts. And sandals whenever possible.