1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IQ tests

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greendalehumans, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Greendalehumans

I took this IQ test that my brother showed me (online).

I've always been curious about what my IQ is, and even though I know that this test isn't neccissarily accurate, it was interesting.

What do you all think of these? Have you ever taken one?

2. Vesper

I've taken a few online IQ tests and assessments, and my scores ran the gamut from a low of about 120 to a high of around 150. I don't really take these tests all that seriously;they're merely fun online quizzes to do on the Internet while bored.

3. vyvance

Online tests are crap. If you want to take one for accuracy, it needs to be something like the WAIS.

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've taken a couple (the only one I can remember the score for came out to ~135). Like most online tests, they're still fun to take. Just don't take the results too seriously.

IQ tests in general are suspect, online ones doubly so. There is always the question of what they're actually measuring. It certainly doesn't appear to be innate intelligence -- studies have shown that one's background (especially class) can have a large impact on the score.

5. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care for intelligence tests because I have a hard time focusing. I think if I were able to concentrate better I would score a lot better on these tests.

*sigh* I took that test and got a 95 when the average is 100. :icon_sad: I only got a chance to answer 23 of the 30 questions because I get so nervous when I take timed tests... :confused:

6. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, sounds like you guys are talking about quite small tests. We have the national IQ test (in my homecountry) on tv every year in December, you write your answers down, and it takes about three hours to get it done; there are hundreds of questions.

I always end up around 130.

7. Neutrality

I took one in person at a college and it took forever atleast 2 and a half hours >.>...I got like a 141. I think there are multiple kinds of intellegence though and this test on test one of them.

8. vyvance

You sure you took the WAIS? It is a lot longer than 30 questions, and it does a lot more than just questions. Tests a wide variety of things like working memory, spacial reasoning, etc.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I took one at the behest of my shrink and scored 168. He was the first to tell me, and i agree, that that doesn't mean shit. I'm a moron with regard to many, many things. As an aspie i have a seemingly inexhaustible attention span and very good memory and just score well on tests in general. I've always performed well on the UNSW academic tests (with which all students from Australia will be familiar), scoring distinctions and high distinctions from 5th grade all the way through 12th. However i'm a halfwit in many, many ways the tests don't measure.

#9 Pseudojim, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  10. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ah. I must've confused the WAIS for a different IQ test I had taken. Granted, I'm quite certain I'm ADHD so I'm not sure how well I would do on any intelligence test. I'm an intelligent person, but I just can't focus on tests (or much of anything for that matter) long enough to save my life!

And apparently I would fail the memory portion of these tests! :lol:

#10 myheartincheck, Nov 2, 2012
  11. metoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to IQ. Some very ingenious people in the past have had low IQs. It is not your knowledge that the test is measureing. It is supposedly you ability to procces things. I have never taken one, and I don't want to. I don't want to be bound by a number that may snrink my enthusiasm for learning.

12. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never taken a proper IQ test. Extrapolating from my GRE and SAT scores would put me somewhere in the 130 range, supposedly.

13. Suffocation

I've never took an IQ test. And to be honest, I don't think there are any for 13 year olds? Maybe? Do you have a link to the one your brother showed you?

14. Brenny

Wow you guys must all be really smart. 125 and up is considered "gifted." Not sure what that means exactly... My stepmom is a principle and created a few schools and loves these tests. Anyway she had me and my youngest sisters take it in person. It took like 2 hours. I got 125. This test works equally for older kids and adults. My sister was 12 at the time and was giggling because certain parts she found easy, I found difficult. She got like a 140 and my youngest sis got 128.

The only understanding I have about this is that if you score higher you can pick up on certain things more easily. I think it has to do with logic and making connects and stuff like that. I don't think IQ is a huge deal though. My other sister scored lower than me and is quite a smart and talented person, far more than I am.

#14 Brenny, Nov 2, 2012
  15. starfish

Humm... Have a link to it. I have a few beers left.

This is your brain,

This in your brain on alocho.... What the hell how did you score higher.

16. burg

i play a lot of chess with people clearly high IQ .what interests me is tho is how many of people with high IQ lack other brain functions ,spelling grammar(my big prob),emotional stability,bad memory(me again),big cognitive biases ,not every one some people do get lucky.but often it seems having certain brain abilities will be a trade off to at being bad at other brain functions.i haven't done a IQ test im scared to find im not as onto it as i like to think i am.

17. Zontar

I estimated my IQ at about 121 from my deplorable SAT scores. I don't know if that's a strong correlation, but I'm already afraid of taking an IQ test because of how god awful I am with numerical reasoning. If I got a low mark, I don't see myself doing anything useful ever again.

18. Fluffy Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I remember taking an IQ test for the "gifted" program. My parents won't tell me. It was weird. I rember when applying for this special school called TVMSC that my parents were giving them it. i really think the IQ test is stupid. Everyone has stuff they are good at. Some people have amazing artistic , athletic , or musical talents.