1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anybody get sad at endings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stonewalk, Nov 2, 2012.

1. stonewalk

ive noticed that i get pretty damn down when something ends. i dont mean sad/emotional endings (tho those get me too) like when you get into a series of movies or books, or just one good book. then when you get to the end you are unnecessarily sad, just because....its over, no more, start a new adventure. just wondering if anyone else is like this.

2. Colours

Well I don't necessarily get sad, but I do feel it's a shame.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends on what's ending for me, but when I'm done reading a really good book series, I'm like "What do I do with my life now?" :icon_sad:

4. stonewalk

shame? what would cause shame?

yeah its like that too sometimes lol, after i finished the whole hitchhikers guide series, i was like....now what

#4 stonewalk, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  5. Colours

I just mean it's a shame that whatever has ended, has ended ;p As in, it's too bad.

6. sugarcubeigloo

I get this way. Even during things that I'm not part of like the Olympics. I don't watch them the whole time, then see the closing ceremonies and I'm a nostalgic mess. :lol:

7. Vesper

Yes, I definitely feel that way about some fictional stories as well as some real-life things.

For the fictional stories, especially ones to which I had become attached, I'm disappointed that they ended at all, because the characters and their world became almost real to me (or because I wanted them to be real). I rewatch, reread, or replay these stories, but it's not quite the same feeling. Since I'm not a fan of fanfiction, I keep wishing the original authors or production companies would further the storyline and expand the fictional worlds.

As for real-life things, endings of things that have sentimental or inspirational value tend to have the effect of making me feel downcast. The US Space Shuttle program is one such example; I felt incredibly sad during the events surrounding the disintegration of Columbia (which I saw happen live on television), and watched or read the coverage of the events surrounding the end of the Shuttle program.

#7 Vesper, Nov 2, 2012
  8. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

Yup I get that way as well. Some of the most notable were Harry Potter (I was a fan from the very beginning) and when I finished watching the last episode of The Golden Girls. Both left me feeling kind of sad, but when that happens I usually just end up watching them again.

9. Lad123

Definately! I love to read fantasy books and I always try to read trilogies. The problem with this is that I get attached to the characters so when i get near to the end of the third book, there is a feeling of dread because I know it will end soon. I have a tendency to take long breaks whilst reading the books so It doesn't finish so quickly :slight_smile:

10. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Haha!

Of course I do! I call it "The Melancholy of the End", and it gets me depressed each and every time.

The more episodes in a series, or the longer it took me to finish a book, the deeper the depression. I think the 2 times I got more depressed were when I finished 20th Century Boys (I was depressed for a week) and when I finished the Dark Tower series (wich took me 5 years to read, and the depression got me for 3 days).

For all other stuff, I get depressed for a day or two.

11. CTJ

CTJ

I become ridiculously attached to things. So when things i end, i feel a massive sense of loss. The main one i remember, and this is quite shameful to admit, is when Stargate SG-1 finished. I went into a week long depression where i wouldn't even talk to anyone and barely left my room. In my defence though, it had been a part of my life for 10 years. Almost 2/3rds of my life by that point, so i think i had a pretty valid reason to be upset :slight_smile:

12. Alan Lewrie

Certainly. My favourite series' author (Patrick O'Brian, of the Aubrey-Maturin Series) died awhile back, leaving the series unfinished (albeit at 20 books), which was a huge let down and shame. Same with George MacDonald Frasier, leaving the Flashman series uncompleted... I hate it. Now I'm afraid Dewey Lambdin, of the Alan Lewrie series will die unexpectedly.

Btw, if there any other historical fiction fans feel free to msg me, I'm always interested in talking about that as there are so few others, especially my age, who do.

I was pretty pissed when Deadwood and Rome were wrapped up, early, and then had the continuation films cancelled. Also, Firefly.

#12 Alan Lewrie, Nov 2, 2012
  13. Depends on how good the Piece of entertainment is
    While I think endings can be sad ;3; a lot of times it feels great to see excellent fiction run its course and end.

14. FollowtheFreeman

The last Nostalgia Critic episode; I felt a tear welling up. While the main reason why I was sad was because there will be no more reviews by the Critic, another part was just because it was a brilliant ending.

If you don't know what I'm talking about go to thatguywiththeglasses.com check out the Nostalgia Critic and enjoy your night that will soon be filled with laughter.

15. starfish

Yep. Quite a few times after watching the episode of a TV series I feel a sense of loss.

16. Zontar

Think of it this way. Would you rather something end with dignity, or drone on forever until it's no longer as good as it was?

17. Alan Lewrie

This is assuming whichever subject we are talking about had diminished in quality over time. :dry:

18. Occasionally, right now I'm very close to the end of "The Wire" I'm already feeling very sad. There's so many characters so many plot-lines and it just goes so deep into so many peoples lives I have many DEEP connections with these characters so, the end will be rough. Other things that have done it was Harry Potter, Deadwood and Arrested Development. Some longer books do it to me as well for there was a week where I didn't know what to do with myself after finishing the likes of Don Quixote and Infinite Jest. (Don Quixote ended up being one of my favourite books, Infinite Jest made me sad because it was a pile of rubbish and I wasted 2 weeks of my life.)

19. stonewalk

yeah thats like me right on lol

yeah harry potter is actually what inspired this post lol

yeah i get so ridiculously into books and stories, they will envelope my world for however long, then when its over im just at a loss lol

20. Alan Lewrie

Exactly the same here. Patrick O'Brian died and I refuse to read the last book, so when I'm on my deathbed (or O'Brian is reanimated) I can finish it.