1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-bigots against same-sex marriage.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyDiver, Nov 2, 2012.

?

Is it possible for a person to be against gay marriage and not be bigoted?

1. Absolutely.

12 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Of course not!

19 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. I don't know.

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. SkyDiver

What do you think? I think there's many people out there against gay marriage who are truly good people.

2. Sherri

It really depends on why they're against it. Do they have some other reason for it (political, for example), or do they do it because they hold the view that homosexual marriage isn't a legitimate form of marriage the way heterosexual marriage is? I think it's most likely that people against gay marriage are bigoted, but I'm one to never assume it fits all people.

3. I voted "I don't know." A lot of Christians say they "hate the sin and love the sinner."

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

NO.

There is no way to be opposed to equal rights under the law for a minority group and NOT be a bigoted. Anyone and everyone who opposes civil rights is a bigot.

5. SkyDiver

I'll agree that most people against it are bigoted.

But I'll only label someone as being a bigot if:

-They actively work to fight against legalizing it and convince others to do the same.
    -They dismiss the natural existence of homosexuality completely, calling it "immoral" and "perverse".
    -They wouldn't want to associate with someone LGBT for that sole reason.

But I know plenty of people (many Christians) who see nothing morally wrong with LGBT people. They completely support the idea of them having the exact same rights (that come along with being married) as every straight couple. It's just the term "marriage" that they have an issue with. I don't refer to those people as being bigots.

6. Fiddledeedee

"Bigot" is a very strong word, in my vocabulary. I know many really nice, caring, generous, and considerate people who happen to oppose homosexual marriage; this does not make them bigoted. They are respectful and sometimes open to knew ideas, they just disagree with me. When this is through unwillful ignorance or not studying things for themselves, I don't think "bigot" can be applied.

Edit: I agree with what SkyDiver said -- bigotry implies, for me, actively working against things and holding a more extreme position than many people who simply oppose same-sex marriage.

7. Crassus

Crassus Guest

I still see this as a bigoted view, but I would not go so far to call the person who held that view a bigot, because it is such a strong word.

I guess my answer to your question is "no." To be against equal rights is a bigoted view.

8. I have mixed feelings towards this question
    On one hand some people who are against same-sex marriage are generally nice and caring towards LGBTQ individuals but on the other hand you are still denying another human being of their right.

9. Ticklish Fish

that reminds me back when I used to go to church.
    They only use this quote when it's about homosexual things.

not like, other crimes like bribe, corruption, greed, etc.

10. ameliawesome

anyone who says that same-sex couples shouldn't be married is also saying that same-sex relationships are inferior. maybe that person is very friendly, has never had anything directly derogatory to say about lgbt people, but if they say that marriage should be reserved for only hetero couples then they're bigoted. to say "i can be married, but i don't think they should" is bigoted. it is a bigoted thing to say regardless of how otherwise non-bigoted a person may appear to be.

11. julia

I don't think someone can be a good person if they are against equality. That's as far as I'll go into it.

12. burg

anyone acting on there devotion to his or her own opinions and prejudices is being a bigot in the time of that action . if in a different time the same person may show tolerance or no prejudice to race or sex gender ect then at that moment i would not consider them a bigot.so i can clearly define logically when someones views and actions are bigoted.i find the term bigot useful when talking about particular beliefs and views actions .but i find the use of the word bigot overused in rhetoric when its used to attack a grand groups of people.( christains and Texans are bigots for hating gays)i wont have to look very hard to find Texans or christians who don't hate gays so don't like to use the term when dealing with groups of people.unless i can define the group as holding a particular beliefs which are bigoted.white power groups ect

13. Linthras

Linthras Guest

A person can be as nice as they want to be, if they're against ssm they're bigots with regards to that topic. Also 'hate the sin, not the sinner is bullocks. Homosexuality is part of someone, not an act and completely harmless.

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not unless that person is also against marriage categorically.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it surprising a majority so far say that it's not possible.

16. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Generosity of spirit does not require self-hatred.

17. FunnyMonkey

I don't think just because their are against gay marriage makes then a bigot, what makes them a bigot is when the are against all gay rights and hate gay people.

18. Hot Pink

Being against marriage equality means that you're for reinforcing the heteronormative. It means that you're defending patriarchy, which is the leading cause for homophobia. Even if you're not against homosexuality but against marriage equality, reinforcing these things definitely makes you part of the problem.

19. ameliawesome

What reason would a person use against same-sex marriage that isn't bigoted?

20. According to them, "The Bible"