1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long distance relationships?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rainbowbear, Nov 6, 2012.

1. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

So, I was wondering, what do you guys think of long distance relationships, do you support or despise them? If you like them why? If not, why? What's you opinion on them? Have you ever been in one?

Sorry for all the questions on the topic, but I'm curious. I'm not in one or anything, but I find the idea interesting and want to see others opinions. So tell me what you think? :slight_smile:

2. Night Rain

Personally, I like them as I have very little time for a normal relationship (not that I have had a long-distance relationship before). But they rarely work. So unless you have a pretty solid plan to get together someday (and soon), I would suggest not having a relationship like that.

3. stonewalk

Im in one right now actually, its a tad different from the standard idea of one, i dont live too far from my gf atm and i can see her about every three to four weeks for a weekend but that is necessary compared to most long distance relationships where they would have time to interact more because we are both trying to get our futures with school and money/scholarships and transferring/moving straightened out so we are both stressed and busy out of our minds. But as a general rule to long distance relationships there kind of has to be a realistic goal sometime down the road. The other fundamental is that any relationship that you dont get to see much of one another is held together by tiny "here and there" interactions, for example a text like "out to lunch with so and so" with a picture attached or something, doesnt have to lead to a big conversation just to keep one another inherent in each others day and life.

4. cutieboy201

i am in 1 atm he lives across the ocean in the UK :frowning2: but hes loyal and we love eachother too much to let go he wants to come to America when hes 18 :slight_smile: if he cant, when i 18 im goin to the UK :slight_smile:

5. Night Rain

Don't want to burst your bubble but you're only 13, things will change a lot, you will too. Good luck though. :slight_smile: And 13 is too young for a relationship. =.=

6. lilly24

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I really don't see the problem if u trust eachother,as long as it's not for a long time.

7. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

:slight_smile: Thanks, I like your view on it.

Hm, this is helpful especially if I get into one ever and I agree with a lot that you said. :slight_smile: Thanks.

I agree with Night Rain. >.>

Thanks! :slight_smile:

8. Just Adam

If your commited 13 or 30 your fine. Please ignore others. Yes things will change but if you love each other your relationship neednt be one of them.

9. Gallatin

I've been in one before. We made it work really well. It takes a lot of trust and commitment, as well as having ground rules and boundaries laid out. They're not easy, but they can work and they can be just as rewarding and fulfilling as a typical relationship. As they say, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

10. toms7

well its hard but i want him!!!!

11. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

I've thought the same with ldr before although I haven't been in one. :slight_smile: Thanks!

12. caughtbywitness

Didn't work in retrospect, although we broke up for other reasons, as you go so far emotionally but are left behind physically, it's so weird and didn't feel right, although again there were other reasons. :slight_smile:

13. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course I believe in them. :slight_smile:

14. redstormrising

not something i would be interested in doing, unless our relationship was already established and we needed to be apart for a finite period of time. my partner and i can't live together right now because of our work situations, but that will change in about a year and a half. right now we live about 45 min away from each other and spend every weekend together. we text constantly during the week, as both of us hate talking on the phone. this works well for us, though we both look forward to the day that saying "i'm home!" means we are both home in the same location

15. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

I can see where you're coming from.

:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 6th Nov 2012 at 02:40 PM ----------

I can see your point. :slight_smile:

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I tried it and, eh, not my cup of tea at all.

As much as I can like the person, I either get bored or frustrated after a while. Its like you have a person there, but you don't. You can't enjoy them or really share your life with them because they aren't there so I just lose interest.

They can work if you have plans on only being long-distance for a little while, but no relationship will last as a long-distance relationship forever. Which makes it tricky because it means that one person has to risk everything to move somewhere completely new for it to work at one point. Not something I would ever be willing to do or ask anyone else to do for me xD

17. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

Thanks! :slight_smile: i can see your point.

18. livinglifefree

I absolutely despise them. I am in a long distance relationship though. We live about two and a half hours apart. We try to see each other at least every other weekend. I hate the distance because I would love to be with her more often. We have a really strong relationship though and a lot of trust. Our relationship takes a lot of work, but she is so worth it. I just wouldn't recommend a long distance relationship unless you are already in love with the person. We are planning/hoping she will be at my University or one that is a little closer next year.

19. rainbowbear

rainbowbear Guest

This is insightful and I can see where you're coming from. Thanks. :slight_smile: