1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Internet Use Makes You Depressed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ArcherySet, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Aquilo

After reading the article, my conclusion is a bit different: Addictions and a lack of real social interaction make you depressed :/

2. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I dunno, all I can say is theres something really really sinister about Facebook and the way it is set up like a popularity contest.

I love the internet in general though. I was a research nerd even as a kid (the type that would spend hours in the library and watching documentaries) so it makes sense that I love endless hours of internet research.

I dont have facebook and I dont spend most of my time on gossip and stalking. I read about womens rights, activism, politics, nature, geography, all kinds of stuff.

3. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree 100%.

4. Mogget

I remember this article. I think it's all in how you use the internet. It can isolate people, but it's also capable of pulling people out of their shells.

5. Hazel

Pretty much, though Internet use does have some addictive hooks.

Leave it to sites like Daily Mail to turn a molehill into a mountain, though. A glance at the article and I immediately think that the problem is Anna, not the Internet, and that it's quite possible she could find the same hook elsewhere. She seems to have an obsession with what other people are doing, which is something people were getting far too caught up in long before the Internet made it so easy to follow.

Blaming things on the Internet, TV, movies, etc, just distracts from the real problems...

#6 Hazel, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. I think what everyone else said was spot-on, but I think there could also be another factor at play here. The article says that the people didn't previously suffer from depression, but I don't think psychologically healthy people would be prone to stalking their exes on the internet in the first place. Although they may not have been aware of it yet, those people were probably depressed before the addiction. Depressed people flock to the internet. Think of it: When you're depressed, you usually don't want to hang around people in real life, yet you feel lonely. The internet offers a place where you can interact with others, without having to talk to them face to face.

7. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

I like the internet.

[​IMG]

8. sunnii

I do agree more or less. The internet can make you put yourself in a bubble and exclude you from the real world. Also I hate fb I don't know why I have it tbh. I do find myself just reading everyone's statuses and seeing thei pictures and feel shit about myself

9. future mat

please i need help, im a new gay

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i tend to think it's lack of things the internet tends to supplant (like exercise, social life)

11. Using facebook got me out of my shell in the first place...
    I can see how lack of exercise or social isolation cana not make you feel good but if that is the case log off the freaking computer.

Also comparing yourself to others and thinking they don't like you happens in school class rooms all the time.

#12 TheLovelyAudrey, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2012