1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you describe yourself as a feminist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Feb 10, 2008.

?

Are you a feminist?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

My definition of feminist is simply a person who respects women and men equally. Of course, this is a simplified creed for such a large movement, but it's what I feel to be the core. There are lots of complex ideas which arise from such a simple statement, but that's my simple definition of the word.

So, what do you think? Are you a feminist? Does my definiton of feminist seem like a good definition, or do you think it's about something else? :icon_bigg and don't worry, i won't rant at you if i disagree with you (you can hold me to that!) i just want an intelligent debate :kiss:

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Hmm I do believe that women and men should be treated absolutely equal, but that being said, I also believe Men are better than Women at some things and Vice Versa. Does that make me sexist? I shouldn't think so....

3. Alexander

Well. I think I'm feminist in a way, but that's only because I absolutely despise discrimination of any kind, soo whatever floats your boat, label me with it :grin:

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Nope.. dont think i am .. infact i think men and women should do the same things like at work i moan becuase I have to do the hard stuff coz im a guy, even though i know they cant do it ^_^. And also I would love a woman leader :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. KatoKumi

I'm a feminist! <3

Lolol.

I think there's not much difference between men and women besides what's under their clothes.

But I'm one to think that a majority of men excel in technical stuff, and women normally excel in their language skills and more compassionate lines of work.

But everyone's different; I think that you should be able to do what you wanna do. But what I meant was the majority--the stereotype, lol.

6. Luroon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Men can certainly be feminists, but I think that what feminism stands for today needs a new title. I can understand how it got its name back in the day when women were first taking their equality seriously, but now that most if not all the rights of men are granted to women as well, there are naught but minor details that have to be overcome for true equality, namely gender roles. The word "feminist" has a sort of women-are-better-than-men air to it, which I think turns people away from the message of the movement.

7. Astaroth

Yes, I'm a totaly feminist. After meeting with Jessica Valenti, how could I not be? :icon_bigg

And as Margaret Cho says, "If you're not a feminist, you should just :***: ing kill yourself. I mean... where did you come from!? Did you just pop into existence!? We all came from a woman, so we should respect them."

(and no, I'm not advocating suicide for non-feminists... just quoting a good line)

8. I would consider myself a feminist. I'm all for the equality of men and women, and I have a lot of respect for women (considering one raised me by herself). And after seeing them do a lot of traditionally "male" jobs like being mechanics, serving in the military etc just as successfully as men do they should be viewed as equal counterparts to men.

9. EthanS

EthanS Guest

no i mean i am! lol... i thought feminist meant u have something against em ^_^ like racist

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

I wouldn't label myself as a feminist, but I do believe in equal rights for both men and women.

I do not think that there is a need for neo-feminism in america to be perfectly honest.

11. DreaminCali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Everyone deserves the respect they give others. It has nothing to do with what sex they are. If the person is an ass, they aren't going to have my attention. If they show respect, well then let the world spin 'round.

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I am a strong believer in pure feminism, so I answered yes, but I refuse to identify with the "women are better than men, men should be inferior" feminist movement, the kind that has made men ashamed of their masculinity and that has sparked angry reactions from otherwise level-headed, respectful people.

13. DreaminCali

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    wow, I had no idea there was a feminist superiority movement...

14. Zec24

I'm a feminist in the sense that I feel men and women should be equals. I agree with you there Arneneithel. I don't like the idea that women should be superior to men, that just creates problems as well.

I also believe feminism should be about women learning to respect themselves. A true feminist should first and foremost have self-respect. I would also add that feminism should be a means of women supporting other women in the struggle to gain equality.

I think by today's standards I would not be considered a feminist, but I think that today's standard is a little extreme. There is no need for (what my classmates affectionately term) feminazi's (no offense meant to anyone). Beligerance is not going to get women where they want and should be.

Self-respect and determination, plus hard work should be the watch words of the feminist movement.

So there you go, my ideas on feminism in a nutshell.

15. step49x

I would say I'm a feminist, though I'm n

Yeah, I've heard that Feminazi term. Supposedly, one of my professors has been ranked one on one of the "Rank your Professor" websites. I'm taking a Sociology of Gender class from her right now. One thing one of our textbooks mentioned was, if a woman talks about feminism (or a gay talks about GLBT rights), she [they] have an "agenda." However, if a white male talks about the same thing, they're opinion is "unbiased," and more trusted. Sad, but true (as they could be saying the exact same thing). In general, though, I think my professor's pretty good. I mean, there certainly isn't any "man-bashing" that goes on in class (i guess that was something some of the male students were worried about).

16. Agreed.

17. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, but this is giving me nasty memories of my sociology lessons. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have no time for the radical feminists who think they are superior. I mainly agree with what others have said above that there is no dominant gender.

18. Psychedelic Bookmarks

yes, i don't agree with the whole "men are all evil" idea. that's just stupid. for me, it's all about the fact that we are all equal. the stereotypes about who's better at what differ wildly from culture to culture, but always tend to portray women's "natural" role as inferior. this suggests that these "natural" roles are not particularly "natural". i believe that gender differences are largely socially-formed, because i know so many different people with different abilities and the idea that you can describe a person just by their gender seems ridiculous. so i believe that everybody, of any gender, should be allowed to be whoever they like, and nobody should be restricted from doing something just because it's "inappropriate" for their gender. if it's ok for some people, why not others? that, basically, is feminism to me. and of course, the basic right for everybody to have respect regardless of gender and to be treated equally and like a human being. and i'm glad so many of you seem to agree :slight_smile:

19. Alexander

ahh but I disagree. People aren't equal - that's what makes the world fun! What people just don't realize is that there is a surface of labels, stereotypes, physical characteristics etc... but beneath that is where the inequality lies.

20. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Equal rights for all? - Yay

Special rights and affirmative action? - Nay