1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Dreams Tell the Future

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MatthewJS, Nov 7, 2012.

1. MatthewJS

I had this thought since I dreamt I told my parents I am gay and they took it well and accepted me. So, can dreams tell the future?

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Almost certainly not. They can tell you about your feelings, though. Maybe your subconscious is trying to tell you something?

3. Calico

They can.... Except they can also express all kinds of things, from forgotten memories to suppressed feelings to whatever you did before you went to sleep, so it's kinda hard to tell if it's the future or not.

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    erm... what makes you think they can?

5. santaberry

I've had a dream that came true the next day. The dream was a bit more exaggerated but the people and the events that occurred were the same.

6. Redell

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a dream that I ordered a 6 inch meatball sub from subway, and then met the man of my dreams (oh, irony) and we had a long chat at the store.

I went to subway the next day and ordered a 6 inch meatball sub, I did not meet my dream man.

But anyway your dream sounds a little more possible, I doubt it will go down exactly as you dreamt it but I dunno, it's good you have a positive subconscious?

7. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

There is a few dreams I want to make come true, tbqh.

[​IMG]

8. jvn95

No,

I just woke from a dream where I witnessed one of my friends murder someone and cover it up. I'm not kidding. Pretty sure that won't happen.

I really hope not, that was a really disturbing dream

9. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, but they can serve as a catalyst for good things to happen to you in reality. :slight_smile:

Dreams are just subconscious expressions of passing thoughts, distant memories, or hidden desires. They only mean what you make of them. But your dream sounds totally achievable! Especially compared to some others I've heard about that people thought might be indicative of things yet to come.

10. OhDearDan

As far as anyone knows for sure, dreams aren't any form of fortune-telling or anything like that, as far as I see it a dream is your sub-conscious getting bored and making up stories while your asleep, I'd consider any dream I have to be that anyway.
    When your dreaming your brain doesn't really care about anything seeing as most of its shut down, so something that might be a faint notion or something in real-life could be big in a dream.
    Although there's no reason your dream couldn't come true, good luck if you decide to find out :grin:

11. Average89

i have very lucid dreams sometimes... and i remember all the details in it perfectly. in most cases... its me suppressing a problem, when i ''decipher'' it. So in a way, dreams help you realize your reality. In every dream there is a message you can contribute to your life. it does require a lot of thinking. like past moments and stuff like that.

of course this is also coming from a guy who has had 3 post apocalyptic dreams about the world.... im not giving details on these.

12. Closet88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dreamt that I won £100 million last night... So I'm hoping dreams can tell the future :slight_smile:

13. Linthras

Linthras Guest

A more simple explanation is that your desires turned into dream. If your parents do accept you, that's just coincidence.

What you should realise is that human beings have a strong instinct to see paterns and causality.
    This is why astrology sells so good, people are so desperate to see patterns and meaning in their lives that astrologers are capable of making vague predictions that peopel will always be able to see fit in their lives somehow.

14. Bolin

If dreams could tell the future, I'm sure that I would have had to have been murdered by now or at least chased around my psycho killers. :lol:

15. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm going to be the out woman out on this like usual :grin:

I believe some dreams CAN tell the future. When my mother was younger she would have vivid night terrors, and they would come true. She would dream terrible things (one of them being a traumatic car accident with her family where they drove off a cliff; she saw the exact turn on the family drive as in her dreams and froze in fear before they all rolled off the edge) and then was helpless to prevent them occurring. She would have to relive the horror twice!!!

However, those were not positive examples, and I believe most dreams just mask our desires or are symbolic of something we may not be able to decipher. I'd say your dream may just be a desire you want to see come to fruition, and the event may happen, but probably not EXACTLY as you dreamt it. Your reality may be very similar to your dream though! :slight_smile:

16. Caudex

Caudex Guest

No. Dreams come from what you want to happen and your experiences. So yeah.

17. FollowtheFreeman

I hope not. Last night I had the weirdest :***: dream ever.

18. Cascade

I'd be willing to say that the results are inconclusive. Some peope swear by them whereas others flat-out deny any basis in reality.

Dreams CAN predict the future in that they can influence us to do certain things at certain times. Sure, it's more of causing the future, but when it hasn't happened yet, we could consider it predicting. People can convince themselves that a dream came true. Maybe the dream was not quite that way, but since a dream is created by our minds, it does not technically exist, but influenced the future, thus predicting it in a roundabout way.

Dreams CANNOT predict the future in that they are fantastical constructs of minds, where thoughts that are barely connected by any sense of logic flow. Therefore, the most extreme cases of things cannot predict the future.

So I conclude that dreams can do both, or only one. Yes I do have some very strange ideas about dreams, that's what makes it fun.

19. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    To some extent they can, your brain can link together events in your waking life and try to predict the outcome. Like if you are struggling with a problem your dream can offer a solution because of your brain working while you are sleeping.

20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope not! Derivatives may be torturing me in my future, then.