1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barbies vs. G.I. Joes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myheartincheck, Nov 8, 2012.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was just curious... When you guys were little did your parents make you play with only "guy" or "girl" toys, or did YOU choose your toys? Were your only options for dress as a young un' pink (if you're a girl/were born female) or blue (if you're a boy/were born male)? Or were you put in/wanting gender neutral clothing? I just thought it'd be interesting to hear about your stories.

When I was little, my parents gave me gender neutral clothes and let me play with any toys I wanted (My parents didn't believe you could only be a boy to fully enjoy play tools... :grin:). I played army men with my older sister and we also played with barbies.

Just wondering! :icon_bigg

2. tapsilog2012

tapsilog2012 Guest

I wore my brothers hand-me-downs from the time I was a baby, so I guess I grew up wearing guys clothes.

I HATED pink. And never played with dolls. I wasnt super into cars and gi joes either, though, my favorite toys were stuffed animals and plastic animals. I basically pretended to be an animal nonstop for the first 12 years of my life.

3. an0nchick

:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redfI wanted to play with boy toys, but my mom wanted me to play with my Barbies.
    Instead, I like undressing them and looking at their breast and wishing to take off their panties.

I hate myself.:bang::tears::icon_redf

4. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha Yeah that sounds like how I was too... xD

Don't hate yourself. That's better than what I did... I would take their heads off :grin:

5. J Snow

There is no reason whatsoever to hate yourself. This is perfectly natural. Blame the rigid gender roles in our society. They are the problem.

I just played my super nintendo mostly and used my imagination, making up stories. I didn't really play with either sort of toys much to my recollection.

6. an0nchick

LOL! I wanted video games and toy cars, like my big brother. At McDonalds, I wanted the cars more than the dolls.

7. Ticklish Fish

What are those things?

I played with this thing called computer...
    and I only have toys that are monsters looking (digimon, pokemon, etc.)

8. an0nchick

As a child, I'd have a fit if my mom was driving and my dad was in the passenger side. :bang:

9. Colours

As a little boy I used to play with my older sister's old barbies :$

10. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest I mostly read books and watched tv when I was little. I chose all my toys but I didn't have Barbie or GI Joe. My sister had Barbies but I was never interested in them in the slightest. I basically played with nothing but Lego and airfix models of planes and tanks (with the little solider things, I would build battle grounds with the lego and then arrange all the little soldiers and tanks onto them)

11. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I loved (and still do) playing on my N64 :grin: I was a pretty imaginative kid too. In fact I wouldn't shut up. I'm still like that... ^_^'

Haha Computer? What's that? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I played with my older sis's barbies too, but mainly just because I wanted her attention and not because I actually liked playing with them. :confused:

12. Level75

Pikachu is way more cool and hip than Barbie or Joe could ever be.

13. aeva

I was made to dress very feminine (flowery dresses, bows in my hair, etc.), but I liked that.

I was brought up as the only child of a single father, and all of my friends were boys, so I really didn't even realize that there were "boy toys" and "girl toys". I loved playing around in the dirt and hunting bugs (my dad and I even made a device so that I could suck them up into a jar without hurting them). I played vet with my stuffed toys A LOT, foreshadowing of my future career. My favorite was, without a question, my legos. My dad and I continue to get legos for each other for Christmas.

I got my first barbie as a gift from a family friend when I was 7, and my dad was actually somewhat upset. I got an American Girl Doll when I was a bit older. I was never as interested in dressing them up as I was in making them have 'accidents', so that I could be their doctor (I had crutches and a wheelchair, used to make toilet paper casts), or making them farmers or vets and interacting with my animal toys. Again, no surprise that I ended up in veterinary medicine.

14. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dressed like a boy and never really had any desire to try girls clothes.

As for toys, I usually played with boy things as well like cars, action figures, video games, etc... Although I did have a couple Barbies(a couple male ones and a female one) and 2 Barbie cars that my parents got me since I really wanted some, lol. I liked dressing them up and playing with the Barbies hair. :grin:

15. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always wanted those American Girl dolls but I never got any!!! D: That's so wonderful that you ended up pursuing your dream job. :3

I had a yoshi plushie from video games and when I got a barbie car I had yoshi ride in it instead of her. :grin:

16. sugarcubeigloo

Oh gosh! My parents didn't care. There's only a year and a half between my sister and I, so our toys became interchangeable. As long as we were playing nice and weren't breaking anything or getting hurt, my parents were happy. :lol: I played with Barbies and Hot Wheels... So it wasn't like I exclusively played with "girl's toys." My mom used to love it when I dressed up in my sister's tutus (much to my sister's dismay). In fact, my mom would encourage it so she could take pictures and put them in our family's photo albums.

17. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    :grin: I had all kinds of toys (wasn't from a rich family, but we weren't on the street either), and I did play with G.I. Joes AND Barbies at some time.

Also, I played with legos, other action figures, hot wheels, and I really enjoyed dressing up little dolls with my sister. I also played computer games (I was rised killing everyting that moved on Wolfenstein and Doom). So I guees, I had a good variety of things to play.

With my cousins I played the typical yard games (well, typical here), and the only thing I couldn't play was dressing up with my sister and a female cousin (they've got a lot of women clothes that my mother and aunts didn't use anymore, and played dressing using different combinations), and I really wanted to play with them. :icon_wink

As for clothes, I guess I had rather neutral clothing -tending to male one; and used female clothing only by myself secretly. :grin:

18. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I remember having one Barbie growing up, I would normally play video games or play outside with my friends. I do remember playing with one of my guy friends wrestler action figures though lol.

I also remember playing with those finger skateboards and I used to love playing with my friends brothers race car tracks!

19. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If only you had sugarcubeigloo's mom! Then you wouldn't have had to crossdress in secret :grin:

20. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I remember either me or my brother wanted a Barbie doll for some crazy reason when we were little. I never really played with dolls/action figures at all and would rather build something out of Legos or K'nex or launch Hot Wheels cars across the room.

We did have this ship and castle with little figures that I guess you could call action figures. so there is that. Also, when I was around 14 or so my brother and I actually played with a Barbie doll with our cousin. Barbie ended up getting eaten by a shark.

So yeah mostly boyish toys and one instance of wanting a Barbie.