1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scariest part about accepting yourself as LGBT?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrHojalata98, Nov 8, 2012.

1. MrHojalata98

I was just wondering what was the thing that held you back the most from accepting yourself? For me it was the fact that if I was gay I wouldn't be able to have kids. Now I know there's adoption and other options but that's what worried me the most before.

2. Eric

Knowing there would be people in the world who don't accept me was my biggest problem in accepting myself and coming out.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Umm. I used to know the answer to this when I first did it, but now I don't remember. I guess that my future wouldn't be what I wanted?

4. RainDreamer

Facing the whole world that is designed for cis-gender, heteronormative societies.
    Can't believe how much stuff I would have to do to be myself, comparing to someone else who is cisgender, all the paper works and planning and the saving and...sigh. It is complicate and tiring.

5. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having to accept the fact that I'm not "normal," and that I'm part of the "gay world."

6. Dekucha

Dekucha Guest

I think that the scariest part to face, is when coming out and telling your family, best friends of the same gender, and worst of all, dealing with the criticism of people who don't even know you to begin with. When my mother became aware a few years ago of me being bisexual she went all out devoted catholic woman and nearly made me kill myself :dry: but that was then and yada yada...

Best of luck to you with this (&&&)

7. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Loosing my parents, cuz I know when I finally do come out I will lose them and it breaks my heart to think about never seeing them again.

8. Crassus

Crassus Guest

The scariest part is that I will need to come out at some point or live a very lonely life.

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In retrospect, there were two things that held me back

First of all: sheer routine. I was so used to living the life I felt I was expected to lead, that being gay just didn't fit into that. No one expected me to be gay, so I didn't see it as an option. Gay urges were explained away as a weird problem that would eventually correct itself.

Secondly: up until I was in my mid-20s, I had never failed to get something I wanted (as horribly spoiled as that sounds...). I didn't want to be gay, so I remained adamant in my expectation that one day I would get the straightness I craved.

In the end, real life happened. I moved out for work. Living on my own was the first time when I had to decide what I wanted, without purely running along with what others expected.
    Also, I got a few setbacks, which taught me that sometimes you have to play with the hand you're dealt.

so in the end, my resistance broke and I accepted that I wasn't going to turn straight. Originally that was more a source of anxiety, but over time, I've become pretty comfortable with it.

[EDIT] I guess that the above isn't a direct answer to the original question. though I do think my biggest anxiety was, in the end, that I'd lose the life I had, and be thrust into some unknown adventure that I didn't know how it would work out.

10. Zontar

Losing my inheritance. I'm still closeted to my extended family over this, and probably will be for years, but that doesn't bug me as much anymore.

11. Sexuality-wise, not much. Accepting the fact that I was trans was a lot harder. I was, and still am, afraid of the discrimination and potential hate crimes I'll face if people find out. I also felt that I was being selfish and hurting the people I love by transitioning, but since then, I've realised that while the latter may be true, I'd rather them know the real me than an impostor. Not to mention, it's not an option to continue living as a female; sooner or later, transition is a necessity.

12. O_Negative

I dunno about it being scary, but the thing that kept me was the idea of changing, and fearing that my change might be taken as me tagging along. I have a ton of friends in the LBGT community, all over the spectrum. I have attended my school's GSA for three years. I don't want them and my family think I'm just trying to fit in or something, because before i was a straight cis ally. Yes, I do feel a little more included...no its not because I wanted to...its because I figured my crap out and I am lucky to have a community that accepts me so beautifully.

13. Greendalehumans

Pretty much all of the people and environments in my life right now are not accepting of lgbt people. I take high school classes at my church, I have a large extended family that I'm close to, and I'm involved in my church and my youth group.
    I have a feeling I'm going to have a very slow coming out process.

I really wish that I was still at public school. At least then I could probably join an lgbt group or make some more accepting friends.

14. FollowtheFreeman

The scariest part was just accepting that I wasn't straight. 17 years of my life happened to be somewhat of a lie so it took some getting used to.

15. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The fact that other people will know that I like guys.

As a person who, at least up 'til I began questioning my sexuality, spent the majority of his life trying to avoid attention, to be invisible and just blend into the background wanting to be open about my sexuality completely clashed with how I used to want to live.

16. Lewis

The fact that now I accept myself, I have to tell others.

It's the reactions when coming out that scare me too. I haven't had a bad reaction yet, but if I did it would really knock me back.

17. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    About my orientation, I never actually tought of that. But, for my gender .....

19 years I kept ... ignoring.... my condition. The thing that made me ignore that was, actually, the face of my brother. Back when I didn't know it was a "bad" thing, I crossdressed in frotn of my brother, and his face told me all I needed to know. He didn't saw me as if I was strange or a freak, just as if it was natural that men dressed like men, and women like women, and therefore saw no point in doing crosswise. I inmediately understood that people in general would not see that as a normal thing to do, and thus I needed to stop it.

I couldn't stop it, so I just hid it, because of the fear of people thinking I was not a "natural" person.

18. FishMan27

I think I was the same as you. I've always wanted kids, especially kids I am biologically related to. I also know my mom really wants grand kids and I didn't want to disappoint. I'm one of those kids who wants to do everything to make his parents proud so that made it hard.

Of course, there was also the whole only 10% of the population is gay, and it would be really hard to find someone. I'm still not sure what to do about that because I am not at all stereotypical and you wouldn't exactly be able to pick me out of a crowd as gay, but I'll cross that road when I get there.

19. an0nchick

Well, I know that God will still love me even though, I'm bi/lesbian. But if I act on it, he will hate me forever. I'll humiliate my family, especially my father. :tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf:icon_redf

20. FishMan27

I was introduced to the following website by another thread that might ease your mind about the whole God hating you for acting on your feelings.

Same-sex Marriage - Hope Remains: Homosexuality and the Bible

Basically, any Bible verse that has negative implications regarding homosexuality were tweaked when translating from the original Greek and Hebrew texts. It's almost like the idea of homosexuality being sinful was "translated into the Bible."

I hope this helps!