1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atheists against LGBT?!?!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Miz Purple, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Ok this topic just seems weird to me,the thought that atheists would be anti gay, I was on the gay marriage USA page on fb and they were talking about how the republicans wanting to move to Australia if Obama won lol , anyways some people were saying the prime minister of Australia was an atheist and she was against LGBT, now I don't know if this is true but it got me thinking , and wondering why an atheist would be anti gay, it just seems rather odd a lot of gay people are atheists and so many atheists are very strong allies of the LGBT community. I mean if the main reason people are anti gay is because of the bible and what they believe it says and what they think god wants, then when you take that away because atheists don't believe in any of that I don't see why they would be anti gay.?!?

Any theories?

2. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I think all theories & discussions regarding this topic (which has been brought up several times) can be summed up by this very simple quote I read in a random Youtube comment. "Haters gotta hate"

3. Ridiculous

Yeah, basically. Some people just aren't very nice. A fair amount of the time religious people are just awful people by themselves, and they are just using religion as an acceptable way of voicing their awfulness - they'd still be rotten whether they had the religion or not. Hateful people tend to gravitate towards religions that affirm and validate their hatefulness (this doesn't mean all members of that religion are hateful, of course).

The Australian PM Julia Gillard is an atheist and yes, despite that she doesn't seem too keen on us. She doesn't want marriage equality at least - what she thinks about other issues I'm not sure.

Republicans wouldn't like Australia either, by the way :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

4. CTJ

CTJ

My mums an Atheist and she doesnt like the gays, her reasoning is the unnaturalness of it all.

5. Rainbow Panda

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, atheism is not really a religion, it is about being entitled to your own opinions. Sadly a lot of the times those opinions follow the conformity of the norm because they haven't found it necessary to widen their horizons or been exposed to the fact that it is okay to not follow the norm. Usually hate derives from the fear of what they don't understand, they base their opinions on prejudice and are happy with that while society moves on. maybe.

6. aeva

CTJ- That actually surprises me! Most atheists are more aligned with science, and therefore understand that there is nothing "unnatural" about it.

7. CTJ

CTJ

My mum isnt the sharpest tool in the shed, she can come out with the most hate filled speech ive ever heard and not realise exactly what she is saying. I'm holding on to the hope that when i finally manage to come out to her that she'll realise what a silly cow she has been and change her ways.

8. MrHojalata98

My best friend was atheist a year or two ago, and wheneve I asked him he said he was anti-gay. I never understood why so one day I straight up asked him and he said that he was anti gay because gay ppl made him uncomfortable....so I'm not saying this is everyone's reason, but some people are antigay just because they can :/ if that makes any sense

9. Greendalehumans

There are atheists that aren't supportive of lgbt people, and religious people who are.
    Just because its not the majority doesn't mean that there aren't people like this.

Sorry if I don't make sense

10. Cassandra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh, come on people, we are generalizing again!!!

Do not commit the mistake to think that any atheist is that way because favors the science, it may be a lot of reasons as to why a particular individual would not follow any religion whatsoever.

The keyword here is that religion is the "main" reason, but not the "only" reason. There are a pletora of reasons as to why a person might disagree with the existence of LGBT, but the actual "main" reason is only one: fear to the different people.

Religion is just the excuse religious people use to discriminate those that are different to them. Alas, atheist can have any excuse they want, but at the end is fear what drives (or fuels) those excuses.

And yes, haters are gonna hate, it doesn't matter the excuse a person uses to justify itself, they hate out of fear, and hate because they can do it (and it's easy than facing the fact they're affraid of different people).

Conclusion: doesn't matter if you believe in any deity or not, if you want to hate people because of their orientation, you're going to find a excuse to do it.

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I don't really have any theories. Some people are just evil and motivated by their animus and nothing more.

But it's not common.

While we have a lot of human diversity in the world, and that allows for heterosexist and transsexist atheists, the probability that you can randomly select a bigot from an atheist population is probably a full order of magnitude smaller than the probability that you can randomly select a bigot from a religious population. And that's not to say religious people are bad; there are many straight/cis ally religious people, and many religious people are queer themselves. But there are vast, statistically significant differences in the views of atheists and religious people.

All of this mostly makes me feel sorry for religous people who feel like their socially authoritarian brothers and sisters hold them back.

France right now has an active secular movement against marriage equality there.

However, the echo the same arguments made by the religious in the United States, (i.e. every child deserves a mother and father).

12. Linthras

Linthras Guest

In every group of people you'll find people who are opposed to anything they can't understand. And people who are so freaked out by talking about sex, that sex with people of a gender they're not into freaks them out even more.
    These people need to make the most desperate mental jumps to process causing them to claim things like it's not natural.

---------- Post added 9th Nov 2012 at 09:40 PM ----------

Like I said in each group you'll find exceptions to the rule.

13. Luke Matt

I would say it's probably uncommon, seeing as religion (generally speaking) is usually the motivator that drives homophobia. I'm sure there are still homophobic atheists out there somewhere.. (I don't understand WHY or HOW, though >_>')

14. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Because some peopel, irregardless of their religious/world views are afraid of things they don't understand or can't emphatise with.