1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really Scared and Really Freaked out - 2012

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I guess it comes as no surprise as to what this thread is about

The day the world is going to end 21/12/12 and its been on my mind since I found out and is only furled by companies such as Lynx using it as a advertising slogan as well as the film of the same name which I only saw once and will never watch it again.

I don't know what to believe. I don't wanna die, there's so much I wanna do, make friends, my first boyfriend, my first kiss. but I feel as though am not living my life to the fullest because this is constantly on my mind and its worrying me sick.

I feel daft but then I think what if its true. I'm really scared and the fear mongering ain't helping. I don't know what to do or who I should believe.

HELP ME IF YOU CAN

There's no proof either way I don't think but am seriously freaked out right now

:help::help::help::help:

2. Bree

Remember that everyone also believed that all technology in the world was going to spontaneously stop working when we reached the year 2000. There was a mass-panic in many places over it. Also remember that if you synchronize the Mayan calendar with ours, the date mentioned has actually already passed.

My history put it this way: "So the Mayans were carving this rock, and they ran out of room. They'd already carved so much they didn't want to start over."

3. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

That makes sense

But I still have thus doubt in my mind and its freaking me out

4. Metleon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The only thing that's going to happen is the earth, sun, and the center of the milky way galaxy are going to align. The Mayans thought that the sun was going to fall into this big hole in the sky (aka, the supermassive black hole in the center of the galaxy). Either that, or they thought at the end of 20 long counts, everything on the Earth would be wiped out and things would start over from the beginning.

There's really no reason to believe anything special will happen on December 21st, aside from the fact that it will be the shortest day of the year.

5. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Thanks

I feel a little reassured now.

Just gotta live my life to fullest cause any persons world can end at anytime I suppose

6. JohnDante

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi!

I'm brand new to this site, but your post was the first I saw and I wanted to tell you I understand being worried about all the "end of the world" business. With all the information you can find on the 2012 doomsday theories, it is very easy to feel terrified and like you never want to go outside again. Aside from that, it seems things all over the world are a pretty big mess, so it seems like the end must be coming.

That being said, you are absolutely right in saying that nobody really knows what is going to happen. There have been a lot of television programs, websites, books, etc., etc. written on why and how the world is going to end, but an actual apocalypse has very little to do with the end of the Mayan calender (which is what all of this is based around).

If you have time to do a little bit of research, you'll find that the prophecy of the Maya has to do with a "Golden Age" at the end of this particular time cycle, according to their believe structure. When they speak of the world "ending", they are actually speaking about the world as we perceive it now, clouded by judgment and violent thoughts--i.e., not the physical world, but how we see it in our minds. It all has to do with a big spiritual awakening that has nothing to do with religion and everything to do with humankind finding out who they really are. In addition to that, many people think that our current date of 12/21/2012 doesn't correspond with what is actually in the Mayan calender because they based it on a different number of days in a month, in a year, etc. All the hype may be for nothing :icon_wink

All that being said, ask yourself: Do I want to live being afraid of something just because other people tell me to be?

We are bombarded with fear through newspapers and TV and the internet all the time, so it's natural to be scared. I always used to be! I battled with depression and anxiety for a long time because I was afraid of everything. But eventually, I got tired of being afraid. I started questioning whether everything people said was true or not-- not to prove anyone wrong, or to prove how smart I was, but to learn for myself instead of taking everything at face value.

One of the most important things I learned was that you can be afraid of anything-- not having enough money, getting sick, being made fun of, not having a relationship-- and have that be the basis of how you do things (which is what made me so unhappy). On the other hand, you can operate from a place where you look at everything (no matter how bad it might seem) as an adventure that you can learn from in some way, and use what you learn to make yourself and the world a better place. No need to be afraid of December. Everything will be just fine.

You deserve to be happy and live the life you want to live without being afraid of something that could very well be made up. I hope this helps. Hang in there, my friend.
    (*hug*)

--J

#6 JohnDante, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  7. Robin

Wasn't there something about leap years that the Mayans didn't account for? And thus, wasn't the world supposed to end like at the beginning of the year?

8. Gold Griffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    1. It wasn't even supposed to be the end of the year, no one said that until recently.
    2. There is a tremendous dispute about which day of the year, which year, and even which century their calendar
    3. Thousands of people have predicted doomsdays before, every single one of them has proven false, because such doomsdays are unscientific, superstitious nonsense.
    4. There is nothing but the crazed rambling of conspiracy theorists and the psuedoscience of an archaic civilization that fell centuries ago to back this up.

9. BudderMC

This is how I'm taking "the rapture" or whatever you want to call it. I'm not going to worry about it, because if we're all doomed there's nothing I can do about it, and I'm busy enough with stuff that I don't have time to worry about other things. On the 20th, I'll probably give all my friends a quick "in case we all disappear tomorrow, I wanted to let you guys know I love you" kinda thing, but beyond that, I'll just let that day come if it does.

10. Zontar

Whole thing's bullshit. December 21 will roll around, and you won't die a virgin, and we'll all be laughing at Art Bell and everyone else who spreaded this nonsense around.

Here's a way to calm yourself. Google "2012 myths debunked" and you'll see a genuine NASA page reassuring you that no possible phenomenon can happen on that day. Also think of it this way; we can't get tomorrow's weather right with million dollar computers; what makes you think the Maya predicted the end of the world with a couple of stones and a twig?

#10 Zontar, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  11. paramore19

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    to be honest i dont believe that the world will end then theres been so many times that people have predicted when the worlds going to end and things and it hasnt happened yet....just live everyday like it was your last and it will be fine :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Eric

There's no credible evidence suggesting any sort of apocalyptic event set to wipe out the human race in the near future. To use what someone else said, it's superstitious nonsense driven by lunatics and conspiracy theorists, and you shouldn't have any fear of some impending doom. For centuries, people have been predicting cataclysmic events and getting it wrong. There's no reason to believe the Mayans somehow got it right. It's all complete rubbish.

13. Ridiculous

Our calendar mysteriously ends on the 31st of December every year, but you never see anyone doom-saying about that.
    Why do we then get all excited about an ancient civilisation's calendar expiring? Who cares, they didn't know what they were doing - we don't look to the Mayans for advice about anything else. As far as I'm aware they just ran out of room to write (engrave?) more dates anyway.

That was actually a legitimate concern, not scaremongering (although it was blown out of proportion). January 2038 will have the same problem and it will be a bigger issue than 2000 was.

14. Ticklish Fish

LOL. I/We survived 06/06/2006 and 2000...

15. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not even "the end of their calendar". It just flicks over to a new period.

From wiki: Maya calendar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a crock of shit, people love to talk about this nonsense, they don't deserve your fear.

16. Greendalehumans

The Mayans believed in a lot of crazy things.

17. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they didn't even believe 21-12 2012 was the end of the world - or even the end of their calendar. It's merely the end of the currrent b'ak'tun. Each b'ak'tun is about 394 years long so we've already had quite a few of them come and go.

If you're honestly afraid of this, it's nothing more than the effect of communal paranoia. Nonsense is not made less nonsensical by the fact that a lot of people put stock in it. This is the 21st century, it's about time we put this rubbish behind us, isn't it?

18. RainbowBright

How do you feel now?

19. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Like an idiot haha :roflmao:

20. RainbowBright

Well, hopefully you feel more relaxed, and will remember this for the next apocalypse. The only thing certain is that humans will continue to predict the end of the world, that is not going to stop. But you should take comfort in the fact that even though they do so every few months to a year, the percentage of times they have been wrong is 100%.

This is why science is very useful, and it's a shame so many people ignore it - there was absolutely nothing in science that supported these claims, and there was lots of information available to state that even the cultural/religious beliefs did not support this idea. There is no reason to blindly believe scientists either, but you have to use your judgement and consider how likely something is. Don't believe everything you read, look at at least a few different sources you trust before freaking out.

If the majority of people could learn these lessons, this constant freak-out would not keep happening, because the adults could explain to the children that this happens all the time. Unfortunately, the majority of people who lost their minds over this year will do it again all too willingly at the next rumor.